Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How responsible is it to ride? (Read 401 times)
Philip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How responsible is it to ride?
08/23/11 at 11:12:51

Hey guys,

I have been riding for about 6 months now and love it. I am married and just found out that we're having a baby and starting to really think about if I should sell my bike or not. I work as a paramedic and every motorcycle accident I work makes me question myself about riding. Its ultimately a personal decision but whats everyone elses input on this?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: How responsible is it to ride?
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 11:35:37

The answer is going to be different depending on a lot of factors such as:  What kind of riding do you do, at what speeds and distances, in what kind of traffic, and do you wear full gear and have good training/experience, etc.  

Also consider that your overall picture of motorcycling is going to be heavily biased to the negative, because of your job.  Nobody calls the paramedics to inform them that they just had a great ride.

I have two kids and the answer for me is "very responsible, and possibly more responsible than not riding" because riding motorbikes is a thing that keeps me sane and happy, and able to be a good father.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 11:37:32

I gave up several things when I became a dad, riding was one of them, I didnt own a bike when I got married, but I had & I was wishing for another, but I couldnt see it,, not with my history, Ive totaled 3 & hit 3 cars w/ bicycles, so,, maybe Im not the guy to ask, but it doesnt matter how careful I am, I can still get turned across & someon can run a stop sign, bikes simply dont offer protection, Once my kid got grown, I got a bike, ,
You have to consider all the elements, what would happen IF you got hurt, what happens if you get crippled,, what happens if you die

Now, as a responsible husband/father, is it not your duty to limit your exposure to unnecessary danger?

& Boule makes a good point,, its your call,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 11:45:21

Just my opinion, but I sold my dirtbike in 1993 about 2 yrs before I got married. Had a daughter born in each 1998, 2002, 2007, then twin boys in Feb 2009.

I picked up my first used street bike in July 2009. I've been riding that bike to/from work and occasionally on a weekend since then (weather permitting). Initially my wife (an RN) was not too fond of the idea, but as long as I promised to always wear at least a helmet she would be OK with the bike.

There's been a few "pucker" moments that have scared the bejezzus out of me, but I learn from them and continue to ride.

Only just this summer, my wife has taken an interest in riding 2up with me for an occasional date night or such. She finally realizes how much fun it is to ride but agrees this bike is a bit small for the 2 of us.

I was amazed when she suggested that maybe I will need a bigger bike so we can ride together, but she didn't want to sell this one because she thinks she might want to learn to ride it herself.  Shocked

I say, keep riding if that's what you want to do, but always keep it in your mind that now more that 1 person is relying on you making that ride back home each and every day  Smiley

Ride On!!!   Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/23/11 at 11:49:52

Where you live could play into your decision.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Classic650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NH
Reply #5 - 08/23/11 at 12:02:58

I learned to love riding as a youngster because my father had motorcycles from the time I was in diapers.  It's your decision, but I'd never give it up.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/11 at 12:23:17

2 kids, gave up riding when 1st one was born. Sold two bikes. Gave up everything, in reality. Pretty soon I realized I need at least something I love. Just my nature, I have to have something apart from cliche. Bought another motorcycle. Then another... I ride slow and cautious. Always did, always will.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/23/11 at 12:47:13

Look at it this way. Bike or car, If you crash or get hit, you can get hurt bad or die either way. But I'm betting your not gonna quit driving a car. I say keep on riding, just be a little extra cautious. Obviously, don't drink and ride. Personally, I choose to not wear a helmet, but if I had little ones at home, I probably would.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/23/11 at 12:51:12

You know better what is the consequence to being in an accident.  Professionals (motorcops) ride the streets for years w/o accident.  Yet can be killed walking across the street.  And you can be killed while on the job.

My point being theirs no point in withdrawing from all risk, that's not living.

If you're talking about being responsable... financially, then carry as much insurance as possible.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 08/23/11 at 13:00:51

I've mentioned it before, because its something that has stuck with me.  In the safety training course, they compare riding with climbing a ladder.  Your level of risk-taking is different from everyone else's.  How high you climb the ladder and how much risk you accept is up to you.  The higher you climb, the more risky it is, the more damage that can be done.  Maybe now with a little one depending on you, just back off a rung or two...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/23/11 at 13:12:23

exactly! Back off a rung or two.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/23/11 at 14:06:34

I live in a fairly rural area where the local paper serves two counties and four motorcycle accidents have been mentioned in it this past spring.  They were mentioned because the rider was killed or in one case left with serious brain damage.  None were wearing helmets.  All were the fault of the motorcycle rider and none were at high speed.

I have personally known several guys who died on motorcycles.  One messed up at an intersection and headed for the tree lawn and saddly drove under a stay wire for a power pole, it caught him under the chin.  A close relative was found in a coma in a ravine, he was wearing a helmet but the strap was apparently not fastened, it took him about a decade to die.  A family friend, a middle aged guy was cleaning out his garage and on a whim ran his sons tiny little dirt bike down the road just to run some fuel through the carb.  They found him in a ditch dead of head trauma, no helmet.  Another friend failed to negotiate a curve at night, no helmet.

I had a head on collision with a car at about 55 mph and survived, I was wearing a helmet.  I dumped my bike this summer and broke two bones and will be laid up for several more weeks, I was wearing a helmet.  My brother and I had lots of motorcycle wrecks when we were young and have broken lots of bones but not any heads.

Is it risky, I think so but I know guys who have ridden all their lives on a regular basis and have never even dropped a bike.  When I had kids growing up I quit riding, now that I am retired I started riding again and intend to keep riding, as soon as these bones heal.  One thing I am certain of is that a good helmet saves lives.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
Reply #12 - 08/23/11 at 14:45:50

Take a MSF New Rider Course. You not only learn the basics, but you also save on your insurance.

LarryC
Riders Edge Instructor

All accidents are predictable and preventable-MSF

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/23/11 at 16:00:30

LarryC wrote on 08/23/11 at 14:45:50:
All accidents are predictable and preventable-MSF

Ok, can you predict this?
You are traveling down a 3 lane one way street with left and right turn lanes in the left lane.
You know this street so you are traveling the right speed to time all the lights.
You come to an intersection with a red signal, and parked in the middle lane is a car waiting for the signal.
What happens?

Next,
You are traveling down a 1 lane each way road.  
The car in front of you goes into the left turn lane.
What happens?

And we've all heard the stories of some distracted driver blowing off a stop sign T-boning whoever was crossing.  Almost happened to me too.

You can't predict everything.  You will have to react as if your life depends on it... it does.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 08/23/11 at 16:56:21

Ever watch the "Final Destination" movies?...

If it's your time, it's your time,... probably end up slipping in the shower...
... or choking on a chicken bone...
... or sitting on an exploding toilet...
... or a meteor will fall on your head...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:19:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › How responsible is it to ride?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.