Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Running lean and doing damage? (Read 327 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Running lean and doing damage?
Reply #15 - 08/24/11 at 18:26:25

mmosel wrote on 08/23/11 at 00:51:51:
Ok so, now that I've got my new muffler on, and my K&N air filter, I am definitely running lean. I can feel it, I can hear it.  My question is, can I ride it like this without doing serious damage to it?  So before I can get to rejetting it, can I still ride it safely, that is the question.

What is it doing that you interpret as "running lean. I can feel it, I can hear it." ??

The only real danger from running lean is detonation.  If it is not pinging, you are okay.  Trouble is, sometimes light detonation is not very obvious.  If you think it might be pinging even slightly, use premium gas for a while until you get the mixtures right.

Running lean may cause inconsistent combustion which can cause less-than-smooth operation,.. just like a stock late model Savage.  They come from the factory on the ragged edge of lean mixtures, so you running yours even leaner won't be that much different,.. just a little cooler.

CHT is maximum at 14.7 air/fuel ratio.  (stoichiometric)   When mixtures get leaner or richer, temps go down.  There are some factors that can modify this just a little, but generally if you run lean or if you run rich, CHT goes down.  EGT may go up, but not much gets harmed with high EGT.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #16 - 08/24/11 at 19:23:39

Well, I can feel it in the power and torque. It's slower for sure.

I can also hear it in the carb. It doesn't have that same throttle sound it had before.

I can't ride it anymore now anyway, everything is off and waiting for the jets to arrive - next week sometime I suppose.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #17 - 08/29/11 at 17:54:31

Wow, I ordered on the evening of the 24th from Nichecycle and I received the jets today. I was expecting to get them by the end of the week!

Now I can put her back together again...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 08/29/11 at 18:21:11

http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/articles/aircraft-engines-leaning.php

for those whose CGT and EGT's are a little weak and fuzzy --- a clean refresher course in lean/rich and why and how it happens.

Note: this is all in small aircooled aircraft engine speak, but the engines are fairly close in general construction to a Savage, just more cylinders.

..... and here is a direct quote from the materials (which do agree with what was stated above BTW, just a different conclusion is taken for the results of running lean at WFO throttle settings).    

Don't forget to read the whole thing for full context, just not the parts you want.   Remember, these folks have a knob to turn to lean/rich their engine and they have danger zone marked gages for CGT and EGT right up above that knob.   We don't.  

Context, it is a wonderful thing ....

Mixture too lean

Combined with a high power setting this will result in high cylinder temperatures, possible detonation, very hot or burnt exhaust valves and maybe damage to the pistons resulting in a power failure and a possible off airport landing.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 08/29/11 at 18:54:32

I just read not to long ago on the internet the reason newer cars will go a lot more mile than they did years ago in because with fuel injection your not to lean in the winter and not to rich in the summer. Your always at the right mixture.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #20 - 08/29/11 at 23:10:00

Well, after a little trouble getting the main jet in, and then some trouble installing the carb back onto the bike, I finally got everything put back together. Put it on prime and turned it over. Started on the second try!

I'm excited and I want to ride it, but it's late and I'm exhausted, so it will have to wait til tomorrow, first thing after breakfast.

Can't wait to feel what the difference is.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 08/30/11 at 05:22:10

bill67 wrote on 08/29/11 at 18:54:32:
I just read not to long ago on the internet the reason newer cars will go a lot more mile than they did years ago in because with fuel injection your not to lean in the winter and not to rich in the summer. Your always at the right mixture.

Well that along w/ slower piston speeds, hotter running temps, and better oils, and other stuff, I agree.

So lets get after it !!

Wouldn't that be neat,.....a bolt on EFI kit for.........anything, not just our bikes. I have often wondered,....this day and age, why don't we ever see after market EFI. They make everything else !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 08/30/11 at 05:30:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/29/11 at 18:21:11:

..... and here is a direct quote from the materials (which do agree with what was stated above BTW, just a different conclusion is taken for the results of running lean at WFO throttle settings).    

Mixture too lean

Combined with a high power setting this will result in high cylinder temperatures, possible detonation, very hot or burnt exhaust valves and maybe damage to the pistons resulting in a power failure and a possible off airport landing.

What they mean here is that high power settings combined with lean mixtures could lead to detonation, which would then lead to very hot or burnt exhaust valves and maybe damage to the pistons resulting in a power failure.  Just using lean mixtures at high power settings won't cause overheating.  Mixtures either side of peak make the engine cooler,.. assuming no detonation.

Running an LS650 lean is still scary, because it is hard to notice when it is beginning to start detonating.  When you actually hear detonation, you are hearing heavy detonation.  It is possible for some detonation to be occurring and not hear it, especially with a noisy motor, noisy exhaust, and lot of wind noise.  

I wonder how much effort the Suzuki engineers put into how much they were willing to lean the mixtures on the later models.  From what I gather here, the early bikes ran a little richer, but then for tree-hugger mollification, they were leaned out some.  I would hope the engineers would never adjust the tuning so detonation was a possibility.  Maybe they set it up to be close to that point, but not there yet.  So,… if you take a stock, say, 2009 S40, and lean it out (in effect) by using a freer-flowing muffler, are you running the risk of detonation?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/30/11 at 07:47:05

Mixture too lean

Combined with a high power setting this will result in high cylinder temperatures, possible detonation, very hot or burnt exhaust valves and maybe damage to the pistons resulting in a power failure and a possible off airport landing

Just read it for what it says -- mixture too lean at wide open throttle will result in higher cylinder temperatures.  Detonation is easy to explain when the valves get anywhere near hot enough to burn (cherry red) and aluminum pistons can get soft and blow out in those conditions as well.

It's not like we haven't seen a holed out piston here on the list -- luckily they are pretty rare things.

Damage to piston ring areas (galling coming up the front of the pin bosses up into the ring area) is a lot more common, unfortunately.   Most teardowns on high performance engines have this problem.

You make a good point though, Suzuki sets the bikes up pretty lean in all the later years to meet EPA target standards and then we yank off the restrictive stock air filter and exhaust pipe (lowering intake vacuum levels) then run the immortal piss out of the more powerful engines, not realizing that we might be gas starving the engine at full throttle because our vac petcocks were designed to work at the original stock filter intake suction levels.

And that's before the petcock gets old and its performance declines.

You could say rejetting is a performance and reliability enhancer.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 08/31/11 at 05:40:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/30/11 at 07:47:05:

Mixture too lean

Combined with a high power setting this will result in high cylinder temperatures, possible detonation, very hot or burnt exhaust valves and maybe damage to the pistons resulting in a power failure and a possible off airport landing

Just read it for what it says -- mixture too lean at wide open throttle will result in higher cylinder temperatures.  Detonation is easy to explain when the valves get anywhere near hot enough to burn (cherry red) and aluminum pistons can get soft and blow out in those conditions as well…….

We’re splitting hairs here, methinks, but,.. to be technically accurate, a lean mixture doesn't raise CHT, it lowers CHT.  Since you bring up aircooled aircraft examples, check out Lycoming’s chart:

The danger from lean temps is what happens from crappy flame front travel.  When the flame front is not smooth and consistent, detonation (an explosion rather than a smooth burn) can cause mechanical damage.

One other comment, if the valves get hot enough to ignite the mixture prematurely, the result is preignition, not detonation.   Other causes of preignition: timing advanced too far, and glowing hot carbon residue.  The difference between the results of detonation vs preignition is moot,.. they both result in pinging (an explosion rather than a smooth burn) and probable damage if the pinging happens a lot.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #25 - 08/31/11 at 07:30:52

Routy wrote on 08/30/11 at 05:22:10:
Wouldn't that be neat,.....a bolt on EFI kit for.........anything, not just our bikes. I have often wondered,....this day and age, why don't we ever see after market EFI. They make everything else !

There's aftermarket FI, just not bolt-on for any particular bike. A couple of guys have converted their DR650s to FI and were asked if they were interested in selling kits.. not interested.  It is an expensive proposition for diehard tinkerers who would want to hand-select each individual component (and not pay a middleman) anyway. Anything can be FI'ed with enough brainpower and tenacity, though.  I have a friend who built one of those Velocity kitplanes and plumbed up a 6-cyl Franklin from scratch.. ignition, FI, sensors, electronics, full logging.. guy's a genius.  Unfortunately the engine crapped out on the plane's maiden flight and he had to put it down in a cornfield.. currently rebuilding.

It is interesting to note in Gyrobob's graph that on the far lean side, specific fuel consumption begins to go back up.  It is good to be slightly lean of 14.7 so that there's enough air to scavenge for fuel molecules, but push it too far and the engine loses efficiency by huffing extra air around for no good reason.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/31/11 at 07:53:59

Back when the bike was bone stock...
Putting in a 150 jet actually improved mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/31/11 at 11:32:55

In europe, Audi/VW came up with (I think) what was called K-Jetronic back in early 80's, in VW golf rabbit. Mechanical fuel injection, no lambda (02 sensor) , no ECU... It can be done... but it takes a lot of trial and error.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running lean and doing damage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.