Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Running lean and doing damage? (Read 327 times)
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Running lean and doing damage?
08/23/11 at 00:51:51

Ok so, now that I've got my new muffler on, and my K&N air filter, I am definitely running lean. I can feel it, I can hear it.

My question is, can I ride it like this without doing serious damage to it?

I realize I will need to rejet. In a way I'm looking forward to it, but I don't know how long of a job it is. And if it is a 2 day job, then it will end up being a 8 day job or something.

So before I can get to rejetting it, can I still ride it safely, that is the question.

IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Re: Running lean and doing damage?
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 01:47:20

Here's a video to explain how to change them. Maybe an hour start to finish to replace the jets.

http://www.youtube.com/rycamotors#p/u/6/rFFuF9QZ4IM

I don't know about doing damage running lean. We'll have to leave that question to the pro's here.

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 02:03:46

Lean condition increases exhaust gas temperature. Obviously increases overall engine temperature. I heard stories of melted pistons, burned valves etc... can't confirm nor deny. Rejet is technically easy. And you will enjoy your bike much more if it's running the way it should.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 03:10:15

Thanks for the info and video link!

Do you guys take the whole carb off everytime you rejet? Or can I just do it while it's on the bike. Doesn't seem like there is much to changing the jets themselves really. Take off the bowl and unscrew.

Any problem if I hold off on the spacer mod for now, or should I suck it up and do that now too.  Shocked

I'm in the pacific northwest, near sea level, so I think I need to go much richer. Maybe I'll start out where the Ryca guys jet in LA.

55 Pilot / 155 Main Jet.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/23/11 at 04:51:13

55/155 is what you have now? That should... not... be lean... hmmm.

Advice: Try the needle mod first, and see how it behaves. And mixture screw, open it up one turn. I'm thinking 55/155 combination is just fine.

To answer the question, to rejet I think I remember I simply unhooked gas cable, loosened the clamp and rotated the carb. That gives you access to both needle and jets.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #5 - 08/23/11 at 04:51:40

I just recently did both the spacer and the jets. As stated, changing the jets and the spacer are both easy, the only real problem is getting the screws out without buggering them up. That said, they are much easier to reach and handle with the carb off. I was hesitant at first to remove the carb but that is actually very easy, just remove the battery box first and it slides right out. Oh yeah, replace those screws to the bowl and the top of carb with hex screws.  Read up in the tech section on removing the screws (they have loctite on them) many helpful ideas. I loosened them with a small hammer and small punch then vise grips.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/23/11 at 07:14:38

Will you do damage ??

If you are going to be working it hard,....especially in hot weather, yes you could hurt it.
If you must ride it while lean, just don't horse it hard,.....no WOT !
I sure would not hesitate to ride is at an easy 55 mph.....running a little lean if I had to.
IMO, do the jets first, then the spacer only if needed to richen the low to midrange.
Me, I would do it w/ the carb installed, I wouldn't even rotate. But I wouldn't tell you to do it,...!  Just don't let the driver slip on a screw ! If you do, its too late.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/23/11 at 07:17:27

and put a towel over the starter cause if you drop something it'll be hard to find.

WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/23/11 at 15:28:06

Ok awesome, thanks for all the advice.

Should I use loctite when replacing the bowl screws?

There is that one little screw that releases the fuel from the bowl. If I replace that, does it have to be brass?

Dasch, I'm not running 55/155. I'm stock. I'm gonna try that combo first.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/23/11 at 20:05:28

Well, after a trip to Ace, I was able to get a 90 degree angled screwdriver, which enabled me to get the bowl off the carb. Without that, it was pretty much impossible to get it off. I was then able to remove the large jet fairly easily ( 145 ). However, I can't get the smaller jet out yet. I have a small screwdriver, but I think it's too small, and I don't want to strip it.

I couldn't find a stubby screwdriver in a medium size, so I can't get the smaller jet out. If I keep pushing it, I know I'll strip it and make it even harder to get out. ( I imagine tapping on it might not be a good idea )

Looks like I'm going to have to either rotate it or take it off completely. Sigh. I guess that means I need to drain the tank and take it off.

Frustrating, because I was only a small jet away from swapping them out and being on the road again.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/23/11 at 21:17:48

Sorry for your trouble. I only ever had the bowl off, and the main 145 jet out. I never figured the pilot jet would be any harder to get out.
You sure may have to rotate or remove.

I always read of locktite on the screws, but I never saw any evidence of it on mine, nor did I use any on reassembly. I do know that steel screws into aluminum can seize into place and be very hard to remove,.....even w/o any locktite.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/23/11 at 22:30:28

Well, my bike is officially in pieces. I pulled the carb. Going to be crazy putting it all back together. I just hope I can get this jet out. Not sure what will happen if I can't get it out.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/23/11 at 23:05:47

Ok I had to create a special flat head screwdriver with a grinder. The small ones I had were just too small, and the bigger one wouldn't reach it. I finally got it to pop ( it is stripped on one side ), and turn out. Phewwww.

I guess now that I have the carb out, I should do the spacer mod. I picked up a black #4 today from ace. And now that the tank is off, I can put in a new spark plug. I'm not going to do anything else, I'll be incredibly happy if I can just put it all together and have it running.

Update: Spacer mod is complete and back together.

Hopefully, tomorrow, the bike shop has the jets I need.

« Last Edit: 08/24/11 at 00:52:28 by mmosel »  

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 08/24/11 at 04:36:10

As I said before, I would have done the spacer mod later, and only if needed. Doing multiple things to a carb all at one time can cause you lotsa grief if luck isn't w/ you.

Rich
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/24/11 at 16:21:33

Well, too late, it's already done. My muffler setup is exactly like the Ryca, so I'm going by what they are defaulting to as a starting point. I'm also at sea level and on the west coast. Hopefully I won't have any problems.

Now if I could only find the right jets, I could put her back together again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running lean and doing damage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.