Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Super Magnet (a little magnet war at the end) (Read 371 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Super Magnet
Reply #15 - 08/27/11 at 08:50:13

Magnets work plain and simple!!  All the stuff that gets stuck on them is not spinning around in the engine and tranny slowly grinding away at every moving part!!   They work!!

I put a couple inside the Valve cover on my Triumph, the next valve check there was some slimey fuzz stuck on them, which proves that stuff is being circulated around inside the engine.  They work!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 08/27/11 at 09:16:17

Drifter wrote on 08/27/11 at 08:50:13:
Magnets work plain and simple!!  All the stuff that gets stuck on them is not spinning around in the engine and tranny slowly grinding away at every moving part!!   They work!!

I put a couple inside the Valve cover on my Triumph, the next valve check there was some slimey fuzz stuck on them, which proves that stuff is being circulated around inside the engine.  They work!

Dream on.  

Yes, they do work plain and simple.  They are plain, and certainly simple.

Please keep using schmagnets, though.  There is not much of a downside, and it makes you happy.  It is good for motorcyclists to be happy.  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 08/27/11 at 10:44:00

If I had to maintain an aircraft engine, and therefore had to rebuild it every X hours, I wouldn't bother with a magnet.  In that case, the magnet adds zero hours of service life.

If my bike had "miles to burn" and I was not going to try to minimize wear on it, or was going to sell it before it was anywhere near the end of its service life, I wouldn't bother with a magnet either.

The rest of us will try to maximize our filtration.  Schmagnet Party!  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/27/11 at 11:44:29

Best is to use a good hi-performance (MOTORCYCLE) oil like Klotz,Warning- its not cheap to buy but very cheap in the long run.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/27/11 at 13:39:39

I saw a ratty ol Savage in a Wal Mart lot. It had somewhere around 90,000 miles on the odometer. Looking at the bikes condition, I wul have to say I doubt seriously anyone ever had a magnet in the oil path..

That said, I cant see how it possible for the magnet ( Schmagnetty as it may be) to be a Bad idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/27/11 at 15:13:45

I always use high quality syn oil in my bikes and truck. Mobile 1 or Amzoil. Not only in the engine but the tranny and rear end as well. I Put a magnet in there same result fuzzy metal stuck on it!  They work!

For those that think a magnet is a joke, do a little experiment with your truck or car or bike etc. Buy magnetic plug run 3k miles or 5k  miles depending on the oil and conditions then change the oil and look at the plug....if it has anything on it well that is proof it works!  It will.

All engines wear new or old and the stuff that wears off the gears and cylinder and rings goes somewhere....if your smart it gets stuck on a magnet!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 08/27/11 at 15:44:40

Drifter babbles, "For those that think a magnet is a joke, do a little experiment with your truck or car or bike etc. Buy magnetic plug run 3k miles or 5k  miles depending on the oil and conditions then change the oil and look at the plug....if it has anything on it well that is proof it works!  It will."

All you are proving is that the magnet attracted some particles.  So??

This is like saying, "I know they are good tires,... they lasted for their entire life."

or

"I can prove these elephant deflectors work,... in over 100,000 miles of travel around these here United States, I have not once run into an elephant."

or

"Put in a transmission temp gauge.  I know they work.  I can tell it is working because it attracts degrees while I am riding -- the needle moves to the right.  Then when I am done riding, it lets go of the degrees -- the needle moves back to the left.  No one could ever tell me this temp gauge does not work,.. this is absolute proof."

Like schmagnets, none of these gadgets will make the bike last any longer.  They are fun to play with, however.

Everyone please understand,.. I am not saying to not use schmagnets.  Buy one for every drain plug you own!!   Few of us would be out more than a $100 if we did so.  No big deal.  The important part is if it makes your life better.  If you feel comforted by knowing there is a fuzzy layer building up on your schmagnet, that is wonderful.  What a cheap way to get an innocent thrill.  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 08/27/11 at 15:58:15

Boule’tard wrote on 08/27/11 at 10:44:00:
If I had to maintain an aircraft engine, and therefore had to rebuild it every X hours, I wouldn't bother with a magnet.  In that case, the magnet adds zero hours of service life........

Aircraft use schmagnets for a real need.  In aircraft motors, there is a lot of analysis that happens at each oil change.  

You can go as far as sending the oil off to a lab that will give you a report on the exact proportion of what materials they find in the oil, which will then give you an idea of the internal state of the motor.

If you choose to not suffer the expense, then a schmagnet, combined with the cutting apart of the oil filter will give you a less advanced way to understand what might be happening inside.  

If over the last 30 oil changes, the schmagnet has had nothing other than a dusting of powder on it, that tells you something.  If at oil change 31, there is a marble-sized buildup of shiny little shards, that tells you something else altogether.  You'd best be tearing that engine down, and not hauling any humans with it.

So, everyone here, please use schmagnets.  They may serve as early warning devices.  Aside from that, though, they don't do squat.  As Boule'tard says, they add zero hours of service life

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/27/11 at 16:33:41

Boule, you say dat?   Wut Gyro say you say?   I see he say you say, but whut you say sound different ..... whut did you say, anyway?

"As Boule'tard says, they add zero hours of service life."

So please, knock yourselves out all you want to.   Here's a little squirt of lighter fluid that V-tail used to like (flamed him right on up)  -- here's a pic of the ferrous trash that goes through the oil filter completely (on the inside of the filter coating the center core).

And ALL this trash went up through your oil pump, so let's forget about it just laying around on the bottom of your cases -- that jest ain't so.

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 06:00:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 08/27/11 at 17:50:42

Gyrobob wrote on 08/27/11 at 15:58:15:
Aside from that, though, they don't do squat.  As Boule'tard says, they add zero hours of service life.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I said the magnets matter nothing to an engine scheduled for rebuild at a certain, conservative number of hours anyway.  That is not the case with our motorcycles.

Your characterization of others' comments on this thread is similarly cheap and incorrect.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 08/27/11 at 20:23:12

Boule’tard wrote on 08/27/11 at 17:50:42:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/27/11 at 15:58:15:
Aside from that, though, they don't do squat.  As Boule'tard says, they add zero hours of service life.

Sorry.  I thought when you said, "In that case, the magnet adds zero hours of service life." it meant "In that case, the magnet adds zero hours of service life."

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #26 - 08/27/11 at 22:00:44

Aw, don't play dumb Roll Eyes  Clearly, you applied the comment to a different case.   Anyway, apology accepted.

So, what do you make of manufacturers that use magnets in their original engines and transmissions?  Some are attached to the drain plug and meant to be cleaned at each oil change (Husqvarnas) and some are to be cleaned during a major service when the pan is off (Toyotas).  Neither are for inspection purposes, the manuals just say “clean them.”  

Huskys generate a ton of engine-trash and IMO need all the filtration they can get.  Toyotas, not so much.  I would guess the Savage falls somewhere between them in terms of junk sloughed off the engine parts, and general engine stress.  

Then we have the manufacturers not wanting to make maintenance a bigger deal than is necessary to make the engine last as long as the rest of the vehicle.  So the designers come up with various screens, paper filters, magnets and centrifugal devices that they think will provide adequate filtration while not making maintenance too much of a PITA.  The ones that incorporate magnets into their designs aren't exactly the copper health bracelet wearing, placebo-popping idiots you might imagine.  Magnets catch stuff that is bad for engines.

Adding a magnet to a finished design might well go beyond a “point of diminished returns” and the owner might never notice the difference in wear.  That is the point I think you are trying to make.  But you can't say the difference is zero, and you don't know how significant it is.  The magnets do indeed catch abrasive material that would otherwise be circulating around the engine.  So an owner that chooses to run a magnet is reducing the wear on the engine to some degree.  You can call that insignificant, but you can't call it nothing.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 08/28/11 at 04:42:37

How about calling it wishful thinking.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/28/11 at 05:10:57

gyro an idea why dont you just remove the oil filters from your bike and cars...they are as worthless as magnets  stick your head in the sand like an ostrich and all will be right with the world.  

When presented actual facts from someone who has been doing something for 30 years and has proven to work. Then to have some pinhead dismiss it as dribble....well that pretty much proves you are  wanting to cause trouble or you are a moron.....this is the end of my comments to you!!!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 08/28/11 at 07:06:52

Drifter wrote on 08/28/11 at 05:10:57:
gyro an idea why dont you just remove the oil filters from your bike and cars...they are as worthless as magnets  stick your head in the sand like an ostrich and all will be right with the world.  

When presented actual facts from someone who has been doing something for 30 years and has proven to work. Then to have some pinhead dismiss it as dribble....well that pretty much proves you are  wanting to cause trouble or you are a moron.....this is the end of my comments to you!!!

You make me smile.  
                                                    Grin

Besides, I've been doing something longer than you have.   30 years?   Roll Eyes                  I've got calluses older than that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:37:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super Magnet (a little magnet war at the end)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.