Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I am an idiot -- saved by cager (Read 205 times)
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
I am an idiot -- saved by cager
08/21/11 at 21:57:24

So, was out riding this weekend on a twisty road in great weather -- it was motorcycling nirvana and I was having fun with each turn, feeling comfortable as I zipped along.  But I carried too much speed into one turn, couldn't get the bike leaned over in time and ended up crossing the center line, heading for a truck coming the other way. Driver of the truck recognized what was happening and gave me a few extra feet by swinging to the outside of the road immediately, even though there wasn't much space to begin with.  That gave me enough time to get the bike leaned over more and I made the turn, dragging a peg the whole way.  Fortunately I didn't hit the brakes or panic, just leaned the bike more and made the turn.  But it was the closest I've ever come to losing it on a bike.

So, as much as we rightly complain about some cagers, this one reacted to my mistake in milliseconds and saved my bacon.  Oh, and I was truly an idiot.  I had never had a close call before.  For whatever reason I got overconfident and rode too fast.  Simple as that.  Bad judgment on my part.  Scared the crap out of myself and my riding buddy behind me (and no doubt the driver of the truck).  I am still kicking myself for being such an idiot.  Wish I could apologize to the driver and thank him or her for saving my a$$.  I am posting this as a warning against overconfidence and to satisfy my urge to apologize to as much of the motorcycling community as I can for being that guy who gives us all a bad name.  I urge all of you to slow it down just a little when you're out there having fun.  I know I will.

Now riding with renewed sense of humility and a lighter hand on the throttle...

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I am an idiot -- saved by cager
Reply #1 - 08/21/11 at 22:07:06

Even bikers drive cages once in a while, ('cept for Digger)...
... or,... maybe he just didn't want to scuff up his paint... Grin...

Good reminder,... ride safe... Wink...

I had a great ride today, up the mountain to 9000ft... nice n' cool up there...  
...then back down to 100'+ and humid....
Uhh!...  hate goin' back down... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 22:18:54

I am still kicking myself for being such an idiot.

& you are live & you arent hurt & your bike is okay & you learned something,, no need to kick youself, not this time,, do that again, tho, & you'll be replaying this time as you go thru it, If you get hurt, pulling the same stunt, THEN youll kick yourself, youll kick yourself for the rest o your life,, & rightfully so.
Ride safe,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 08/22/11 at 07:59:31

Yep, nice lesson learned, I'd thank the truck driver too.  He's probably telling the story about the biker that he could have squished.  LOL  But I'm sure he knows that he saved you, and he feels good about that.  So I'm happy for you.  And glad you're ok.  Pants still dry?  LOL

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 08/22/11 at 09:53:35

Glad to hear your near accident, was just that.
Now your aware and will be more cautious.
Nothing wrong with that. Take care and
good advice you passed along. Smiley kim

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 08/22/11 at 13:26:53

Old saying -- we start out with a full cup of luck and an empty cup of experience.  The trick is to fill the experience cup without emptying the luck cup.

Hopefully you have just added more to your experience cup than you drained from the luck cup!

Cool

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #6 - 08/22/11 at 14:45:15

Thanks for the kind words.  Much better not to have put myself in that situation, but at least I can learn from it and become a safer rider for it.

I like the luck cup/experience cup idea.  Pretty sure I spilled a bunch of...whatever is in that "luck cup"...when I saw that big Ford grill in front of me.  Let's hope some landed in the "experience cup."  The rest ended up on my pants.  At least I think that's what I think it was. Tongue

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 08/22/11 at 18:44:30

I guess we all get saved by strangers occassionally. I just read in a local paper about a 22 yr old who died when his mc ran off the road in a curve. Nobody but him involved. Whether or not you believe in biblical principles, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is good to use on a daily basis. You had a learning experience with no rash to prove it. That's what I call a good day.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #8 - 08/22/11 at 19:12:40

Glad you're still with us, scottnj, and thanks for posting.  I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes than from my own.  I almost had a head-on with a cager 20 years ago when I failed to negotiate a turn - I ran us both off the road and into a gravel lot (there is a fence there now).  I was dumb enough to have had a few (or more) beers before getting on the bike.  I'm glad to say that I haven't had a drop of alcohol in the past fifteen years.  

Ride free!
  IP Logged
ncron1103

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown,ky
Reply #9 - 08/22/11 at 23:59:29

hey scott want to meet up sometime and ride? im right down the road from i=you in georgetown ky

IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #10 - 08/23/11 at 06:00:20

ncron, it would be great to meet up and ride sometime.  PM me some time when you're up for a little trip and maybe we can meet in the middle.

Scroop, thanks for sharing your story.  Reinforces my decision never to ride if I've had any alcohol, even one drink.   Glad to hear you turned your close call into something positive.  Smiley

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 08/23/11 at 09:59:23

that story of yours gave me a sick feeling in my stomach just picturing it!

glad you're ok, buddy!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/23/11 at 20:49:33

I almost crossed the line once by not leaning enough on a curve. I came waay too close to a car and it freaked me out big time. Took me a while to shake that off. After that I stopped riding while listening to music.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #13 - 08/24/11 at 10:30:41

+1 on the luck and experience cup. Those are the experiences that stick with you. Glad you're safe and hope to hear of more experience posts than luck posts in the future!  Wink

Rubber side down!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:22:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › I am an idiot -- saved by cager

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.