Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engines for a Savage frame (Read 204 times)
BalisongMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engines for a Savage frame
08/21/11 at 08:09:27

Hello everyone.
I bought an 86 Savage with some engine problems, took the top end off and discovered the camshaft had started burning up where it seats and also the rocker arms where the cam-lobes hit. Haven't been able to find replacement parts so I'm looking to put a different engine in her.
I have a few KZ400 engines but I spent a few hours yesterday trying to make it work to no avail. Are there any good options for other engines or should I just start modding the frame?

Thank you,

Cam

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Engines for a Savage frame
Reply #1 - 08/21/11 at 08:23:26

Engines are out there in the 5-700 dollar range.I'm in the same situation.I have a Yamaha XS650 engine I might make fit. Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 08:50:29

I'd rather be in your guys shoes than in mine. You need motors but can't find one. I need a motor but can't afford one.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 08/21/11 at 10:53:51

You can find engines on Craigslist and ebay.

Modifying the Savage frame/suspension/etc, to fit another engine is going to be more work than you could ever think possible.  Rebuilding a tinkertoy engine like a Savage 650 thumper will seem like child's play in comparison.

I could see modifying something special like a Rickman-Metisse frame, or a Norton feather bed frame, but the Savage!!??  It is a utilitarian, not very pretty, fairly heavy frame that works okay, but it not at all anything special.

Even if it takes you a month to find a Savage motor (or cylinder head) and rebuild it, you'll still get back on the road sooner than if you find a motor that doesn't fit, modify the frame, electrics, plumbing, cables, intake routing, exhaust system, etc., etc., etc.,... jeeeezz.

If you DO actually put a strange engine in the Savage frame, make it a really strange engine.

Good luck,..

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/21/11 at 14:07:35

drums1 wrote on 08/21/11 at 08:50:29:
I'd rather be in your guys shoes than in mine. You need motors but can't find one. I need a motor but can't afford one.

There are a few here in Ohio.But I'm in the same boat.Frame and not alot of extra cash.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/21/11 at 17:28:36

Gyrobob wrote on 08/21/11 at 10:53:51:
You can find engines on Craigslist and ebay.

Modifying the Savage frame/suspension/etc, to fit another engine is going to be more work than you could ever think possible.  Rebuilding a tinkertoy engine like a Savage 650 thumper will seem like child's play in comparison.

I could see modifying something special like a Rickman-Metisse frame, or a Norton feather bed frame, but the Savage!!??  It is a utilitarian, not very pretty, fairly heavy frame that works okay, but it not at all anything special.

Even if it takes you a month to find a Savage motor (or cylinder head) and rebuild it, you'll still get back on the road sooner than if you find a motor that doesn't fit, modify the frame, electrics, plumbing, cables, intake routing, exhaust system, etc., etc., etc.,... jeeeezz.

If you DO actually put a strange engine in the Savage frame, make it a really strange engine.

Good luck,..

rotac!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
swardlow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/22/11 at 12:14:18

I found a head assembly in Georgia for $450 (didn't by it) about a month ago. try here
http://www.stevescyclesalvage.com/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/22/11 at 13:08:14

Sounds like oil starvation, Id have to look deep inside to make sure its okay or replace the engine, tho the top end is the first to die, 400+ for the head? That too much IMO,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/22/11 at 14:44:01

surazal has a head available in the marketplace. I just bought one from him. He's honest but not terribly pleasant to deal with. Send the money, opt for priority shipping with tracking and insurance and if you have a question ask the post office. I paid $250. The rocker arms are a bit worn as is the cam, but my intention was to send the both to webcam for service anyway so it wasnt a big concern to me.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 08/22/11 at 20:45:05

Anybody else thought of a Suzuki 500 air cooled Twin ?    The engine is still in production and the electric's might not be to much different ?

Makes me druel just thinking about it.

Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
BalisongMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/23/11 at 05:25:13

Money is always an issue, I bought the bike for $100 clean title, got it home and after charging the battery and throwing clean gas in she started up but had a clutch engagement issue which was (not) solved by me finding out about the cam shaft.
I'm not really that excited to buy a different engine, we just have a few KZ engines around, I've been looking for parts for several months now (mainly salvage yards and ebay) and have only seen one part and that was ridiculously priced.

My friends and I aren't scared about doing frame mods, but we've never had to map out engine mounts and our welding could use some more practice  Wink  

I've tried searching the forums, but how fast/strong can a Savage engine get?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:24:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engines for a Savage frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.