Send Topic Print
Bend in shifter rod? (Read 111 times)
ecphelps
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bend in shifter rod?
08/21/11 at 00:58:59

Is the shifter rod that runs between the shift lever assembly and the shifter arm supposed to have a bend in it?

I tried to adjust the shift lever assembly today to better allow for boot clearance and noticed a bend in the rod. Also, I completely screwed up the adjustment and now it's shifting all wrong. So yeah, if you have any advice there, I'd love to hear it, too.

thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bend in shifter rod?
Reply #1 - 08/21/11 at 05:10:59

Those rods do bend,, IDK how, but its been done before,,& no,, its not supposed to be bent, so, when you straighten it, the shifter will go up. I guess someone stomped it into first,, cuz they didnt understand how a transmission works. Get that straight, then we'll worry about the adjustment

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 07:05:07

You couldn't of messed it up too bad, it's pretty basic.

But first straighten the link. By any means necessary cause it's pain in the Ask! I would remove it and then straighten it.

The placement of the joint on the shift shaft should start at about 6 o clock, giving you a base to start your adjustment off of. Your shift rod should be instilled half way into the treads.  Check for fat foot fitment at the shift lever. If its not where you want it or like it, adjust the thread rod first. If you can't seem to get it just right  reset the thread rod to center and move the joint at the shift shaft clockwise or counter clockwise one tooth(spline) at a time and repeat and repeat and repeat until you get it just right.

A bent rod is going to feel squishy when you press it, evert time you press it it will give you a different feel. On the upshift it will feel fine unless it really bent. This usually happens when riders have a hard time d finding 1st and natrual with the power off.

Goodluck!

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
ecphelps
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/21/11 at 11:36:28

My wife rode the bike to work last night and called after she arrived and said she could only get the bike into 3rd and above. Not wanting her to ride the bike in that condition (especially after it was me who put it in that condition) I took her the car and rode the bike home. Felt more like 4th and 5th only when I was riding home.

Anyway, cut to this morning and after I readjusted the shifter now there's only neutral, 2nd and 3rd. AND it appears the clutch isn't engaging, b/c with the bike running and the clutch in shifting from neutral to 2nd kills the bike.

So did I fry the clutch riding it with only 4th and 5th? Or did I hose the transmission putting the shifter arm in a spot other than 6 o'clock and riding it? Somewhere there's a village missing their idiot. :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/21/11 at 12:28:21

Try relocating the arm one or two splines towards downshift.

I remember having this issue and readjusting the arm fixed it.

Now the clutch is another matter.  Try adjusting it tighter.  And you may need to replace the throwout rod.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/21/11 at 13:12:50

ecphelps wrote on 08/21/11 at 11:36:28:
AND it appears the clutch isn't engaging, b/c with the bike running and the clutch in shifting from neutral to 2nd kills the bike.

When you say it "kills" the bike,... does the bike lurch forward and die?,... or just die instantly?...
If it just dies,... it's probably an ignition cut-out... either the clutch lever or kickstand...

PS,.. the shifting problems do sound like just a lever adjustment...  the behavior seems to be changing when you re-adjust...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ecphelps
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/21/11 at 13:38:07

duh, yeah the kickstand was down when shifting into gear, so that was why the engine died - I'll try readjusting the rod and see if that fixes the shifting

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bend in shifter rod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.