Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Another Carb Question
Reply #30 - 08/21/11 at 18:33:53

drums1 wrote on 08/21/11 at 13:22:47:
Gyrobob. My 1st carb also was a Rochester 2GV, off my old '68 Nova. I followed the destructions and never had another problem with it in 3 1/2 years. Sold it then. Subsequent carbs have included the lovely GM 4 barrel, several times on several different cars, something off an old Ford Gallaxy, the one on my '74 Ford van, and this one here on the Savage.  It does take a degree of mechanical knowhow, but I'm also a stickler when it comes to following directions. Ya, if you just dive in half-witted, things are bound to not go right.

I agree.  When I do a carb, I spread out a large clean cloth (an old sheet maybe) and do everything as if I were doing brain surgery.  It keeps things clean, helps to keep a visual on tiny parts, and it slows down things that like to roll.  

Snack sized baggies are handy too.  

Compressed air is VERY helpful,... and if you don't have a compressor, just use one of those pressurized cans (Dusters?) sold for blowing the dust out of computers.

I've also learned to keep a digital camera handy,.. taking a zillion pics as I go along to make sure I can put it back together exactly the way it came apart.  That camera has saved my gluteal protuberance many times.

« Last Edit: 08/22/11 at 08:10:11 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #31 - 08/22/11 at 06:54:17

For OF and Routy...I had petcock problems once. Bike was stumbling, dying, and flooding the carb. First I replaced the needle and seat. I had to go back in and recheck it as it was still flooding. Once I fixed that problem, I did Serowbots test and determined it was, indeed, the petcock that was at fault. I got the rebuild kit and installed it. Bike did the exact same thing. Yes, I replaced the vacuum lines too. I didn't have the $ for a Raptor at the time, so what I did is I removed the vacuum line altogether, plugged the carb end and the petcock end of vacuum line connection, and I put it on prime. I have been happily (almost) riding this way ever since. No flooding, no stumbling, no dying. And I don't shut it "off" when parked. (so I know the needle and seat are working properly) I may get a Raptor someday, if I have the bike long enough.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #32 - 08/22/11 at 07:20:51

drums1 wrote on 08/22/11 at 06:54:17:
For OF and Routy...I had petcock problems once. Bike was stumbling, dying, and flooding the carb. First I replaced the needle and seat. I had to go back in and recheck it as it was still flooding. Once I fixed that problem, I did Serowbots test and determined it was, indeed, the petcock that was at fault. I got the rebuild kit and installed it. Bike did the exact same thing. Yes, I replaced the vacuum lines too. I didn't have the $ for a Raptor at the time, so what I did is I removed the vacuum line altogether, plugged the carb end and the petcock end of vacuum line connection, and I put it on prime. I have been happily (almost) riding this way ever since. No flooding, no stumbling, no dying. And I don't shut it "off" when parked. (so I know the needle and seat are working properly) I may get a Raptor someday, if I have the bike long enough.

Ok, if the carb was flooding while running, it is not coming thru the diaphram. It had to be coming thru the float valve.
But you fixed that. Then the diaphram really was bad ? But yet the valve was still holding open w/ a leaking diaphram ? But yet,...........

Tell ya what, I'm leavin this one alone,....it just isn't adding up. Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 08/22/11 at 08:57:01

Troubleshooting them durn vac petcocks sure can get confusin' .....

You works on them and works on them and they still let you down in some new way that you thought you had stopped.

Poor Routy -- tell the nice Drums1 man how to test analyze and fix his design & materials flaw free vac petcock, Routy.  

Succeed without a total kit rebuild and I'll eat my bite of musty crow meat and spit out the rest of the mouthful of greasy black feathers ....

He's willing to work with you -- man, what an opportunity !!

Once you admit your total defeat however, then it is the Raptor Party's turn at bat.

And if we succeed where you failed, guess what you get to eat?

Smiley                      fair is fair after all ..... he'd insist that I eat it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 08/22/11 at 12:46:18

bill67 wrote on 08/21/11 at 17:09:46:
Over 150000 miles in 40 years never had to take a carb apart,never had a pet thingy go bad,never had to replace a hose.Around 14 difference motorcycles.Nor has my brother with over 200000 miles.The only thing I can say they were all kept inside.

I guess I am lucky never had gas cap leak either.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #35 - 08/22/11 at 18:21:30

OF, I did do the total rebuild kit on the vacuum petcork. With new vacuum line, petcock rebuilt, new needle and seat, and fresh gas, it still ran like yak poo until I put it on prime and eliminated the vac hose. (plugging both ends, of course) It made no sense to me at the time, but it's basically running the OE petcock as if it were a Raptor. It works, at least for now.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 08/22/11 at 18:25:26

Then you've have done everything Routy could ask for (and the rebuild kit did't fix it ??)   Wow.

Running it like a manual petcock did work though.   Interesting.

Well then, wanna eventually try a Raptor so you can get your reserve function back?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #37 - 08/22/11 at 18:30:24

I thought the Raptor had no reserve? (on-off) I haven't run out of gas yet running it this way. I check that before every ride. And I never go far enough to use the whole tank, since I bashed the motor in. I don't miss having reserve, I just remain aware that I don't have it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 08/22/11 at 20:39:10

Raptors are simple old style On Reserve Off petcocks, but yes they have a reserve setting that is good for about 25 miles.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 08/24/11 at 16:17:09

Does anyone know what a suitable replacement would be for the current mikuni carb?

IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 08/25/11 at 16:44:50

Who knows what the difference between an accelerator pump on a carb is and the vacuum part of the Mikuni carb are these the same thing just worded differently?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #41 - 08/25/11 at 17:08:32

Iono wrote on 08/25/11 at 16:44:50:
Who knows what the difference between an accelerator pump on a carb is and the vacuum part of the Mikuni carb are these the same thing just worded differently?

These have a vacuum actuated decel valve (it gives a squirt at high vacuum during decel to ease backfires)...
... an accelerator pump is usually mechanical, and gives a squirt when you gas it... (for less hesitation at launch)...

Almost opposites... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 08/25/11 at 17:46:04

thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 08/25/11 at 18:03:50

Iono wrote on 08/24/11 at 16:17:09:
Does anyone know what a suitable replacement would be for the current mikuni carb?

VM38 is a likely candidate.  You'll need a new cable though.

WWW   IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 08/25/11 at 20:03:06

I've been in contact with Niche Motorcycle supplies, they have looked into a good replacement for my 400cc engine, the best bet looks to be TM36-68 pumper carb...I'll look into the throttle hook up, I don't know what the difference is, but will make the inquiry.  Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.