Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Another Carb Question
Reply #15 - 08/21/11 at 10:16:57

OF
I don't keep lists, nor do I even try to use the terrible search here.
But I have read of several that raptorizing did not help a messed up carb problem. Sorry if you missed them.

So this one too,... he raptorized it, and it still had carb problems afterwards. IT DID NOT FIX HIS carb problem,......it NEVER fixes a carb problem,....and even tho it may have needed a pet thingy because unlike the Suzy, the china one are no good......???? I don't know about that.

My point is,.......unlike you, I would never tell some to raptorize, just to elliminate a problem that mite happen someday in the very distant future, much less tell them to do away w/ a saftey device.
In reality, the vacuum hose is most times the problem,....seldom the diaphram in the pethingy, but I'm sure you already know that.
And yeah, because of all the politics here, the pethingy get blames for every float and float valve that malfunctions.

No problem,....I agree to disagree,....not a problem.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 08/21/11 at 10:40:23

drums1 wrote on 08/21/11 at 09:10:07:
Routy wrote on 08/21/11 at 07:02:54:
Quote:
Carburetors take more damage getting worked on than they do by riding them.

I'm having a little trouble understanding this statement. (Unless, of course, you didn't know what you were doing in the first place)
I have rebuilt many carbs in my day, and have never had one turn out worse than before I started. With 1 exception. I had what I thought was a float problem on mine. Turned out to be the needle and seat--was not seating properly, and was allowing carb to flood.
So are we talking about breaking something, or forgetting a gasket, or not setting the float right or what?

I think in general, carb repair efforts quickly turn into carb disrepair efforts.  There are so many ways to screw up a carb.  If someone isn't proficient on the type of carb he/she is working on, just taking it apart and putting it back together can make it worse.

"I have rebuilt many carbs in my day, and have never had one turn out worse than before I started. "  I wish I could say this.  The first carb I screwed up was a Rochester 2GC on my Dad's 56 Chevy in 1959.  Of course I was only 13, but I was "blessed" with the certain knowledge that I could fix anything.  After all, I had been working on bicycles for years!!  
                                                               Roll Eyes

Anyway, I can understand completely how someone could say that a lot of carbs are damaged just by working on them.

You need the proficiency, the tools, the parts, and a good place to work on them in order to keep from causing yourself a lot of heartache and misery after the "rebuild."

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 08/21/11 at 11:01:49

Routy,...  In my Tech post, How to check your petcock,..., I show how to test a vacuum petcock... I also list all the options available to fix it...
Testing  the petcock first is just smart troubleshooting... (...if your TV quits, the first thing to check is the wall outlet)... otherwise you may be tearing in to something that ain't broke...

You have two, relatively new bikes without a problem,... yet.
They will,... at that time you will do the test and choose your preference to fix it... (probably buy an $80 vacuum petcock).  Fine...
Other people want a cheaper, simpler, sturdier, option (Raptor)...
Fine,.. their choice...
A vacuum petcock is not a safety device,.. it is a convenience... (you don't have to turn the knob)...
If you are willing to turn a knob,.. a manual petcock is safer... (it has no vac line to leak)...

There is the theory,.. that if you have an accident, a vac petcock will not allow gas to spill... (this assumes that your engine dies, the petcock stays intact, the tank is not ruptured, and the tank vent don't leak, and that the bike falls on the left side)... could happen,.. but does not have the makings of a safety device...

The reason the Raptor is particularly popular on this bike,.. is that this bike appeals to the old school, simple, efficient, rider...
No high tech stuff... air-cooled, one carb, one cylinder, no digital stuff...
Simple mechanisms are more reliable than complex ones.. and are easier to troubleshoot and fix...

At the time that a part needs replaced,... many people would prefer a cheaper, stronger, replacement...
Especially since the original has just failed...
When a manual petcock fails... it just starts to weep a little around the knob, instead of flooding your engine, and it is fixed with a $3.00 gasket...

There are legitimate reasons for replacing a weak part with a more dependable one... even as a preventative measure...
The day that you find yourself brokedown on the side of the road,.. these things will occur to you...
Just like Versy's pinned cam adjuster,... I feel better knowing that it's in there...
One less chance of being stuck on the side of the road... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/21/11 at 13:22:47

Gyrobob. My 1st carb also was a Rochester 2GV, off my old '68 Nova. I followed the destructions and never had another problem with it in 3 1/2 years. Sold it then. Subsequent carbs have included the lovely GM 4 barrel, several times on several different cars, something off an old Ford Gallaxy, the one on my '74 Ford van, and this one here on the Savage.  It does take a degree of mechanical knowhow, but I'm also a stickler when it comes to following directions. Ya, if you just dive in half-witted, things are bound to not go right.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 08/21/11 at 15:40:03

Yup, I remember when car carb rebuild kits were sold at every auto parts store and they came with VERY GOOD STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS on how to set the float level and every other little detail of the rebuild process.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 08/21/11 at 15:49:06

Bot,
When the vacuum line leaks, it leaks vacuum, not gas, therefore is NOT dangerous, but is a very good reason to starve for fuel under hi speed/WOT,.....ok,..... I give you that.

Not to mention in the case of an accident, the vacuum pethingy IS a saftey device IMO.
With a life expectancy of at least 10 yrs,  (why not??.....other diaphram operated stuff last 10-20 yrs) I am guaranteed that no fuel will flow from my tank,.....overflowing the carb, and run gasoline on the floor of my garage, not very far from my gas fired water heater !

Now, can you say the same thing for your raptorized bike setting right alongside it,.....that you know you're not always (if ever) going to shut off the gas,.....no one ever does.

I will always believe it is a valuable saftey device, especially for gasoline fires.
And I will never believe it should be changed out just because it mite cause a problem some day.
Same as I don't believe in throwing jets at..... or hacking a carb just because I changed a muffler or air cleaner.

But like I told OF, its ok,....we disagree,......not a problem,....really, its ok ! Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 08/21/11 at 16:07:27

No we don't -- I don't think you should change your petcock unless you are having issues that drive you to do the Serobot test and you fail that "fairly easy to do" test.

Having failed it, your choices are to replace the vac line and give her a whirl and see if you are good again -- if so then GREAT, you are fixed for right now  ...... but

.... but, then you know you got the second set and third set of vac petcock symptoms to look forward to down the road a piece (the one about the diaphragm getting so stiff a fresh vac line won't fix it and the one about the diaphragm getting a crack or pinhole and losing suction/passing gas to the sump through the vac line).  

Plus you likely need to replace your vac line yearly to make sure the vac line itself doesn't come back to haunt you as that will likely happen again a couple of times before stiffrubberitus or leakus maximus actually shows up to finish you off.

Sad

=============================

Raptors don't have all this fun hanging over your head all the time.

Vac petcocks cause people to get stopped by the side of the road or causes them to be signaled they need to buy gas when they have a half a tank or more.

Raptors don't do these things.   And so far no one has put gas into a sump because of a float needle failure when using Raptor either (although I am sure eventually that natural carb float/needle valve  failure mode will occur and a Raptor won't stop it).   Seems strange that a vac petcock won't stop it either but the vac petcocks are showing the gas in the sump failure mode  at 7 to 0 right now compared to the Raptor.   Perhaps this is because the vac jobbie has two ways to do it and the Raptor only has one?

You don't mind me telling folks the above facts, do you?

They are facts you know.

=============================

Routy, anything up above not factual?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/21/11 at 16:39:07

Now, this is a question -- I don't know the answer.

How do you know the vac petcock is really shutting off the flow of gas when the engine is off?

Is there a test to see if the vac petcock is actually working correctly?    If so, what is it and how often should you do it?

I mean, if we have stiffrubberitus going on that won't allow gas to flow freely through the valve, is the converse possibly true as well?   Diaphragm won't flex to allow the valve to close completely under the same little bitty weak spring pressure that it can't overcome to open things up?

How would we know?

Undecided

Logically if one is occurring then how likely is the other?  

But how would you test for it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/21/11 at 16:59:23

Ok WTF, I found a LS650 carb on ebay for $25.00, put it on my watch list, then I followed the link for the carb rebuilding service...then this morning I go to look at the service and it now has LS650 carb rebuild for $100.00, then I go back to the LS650 carb for sale and it is gone....who on the site provides the service and bought the carb?  Too funny

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 08/21/11 at 17:09:46

Over 150000 miles in 40 years never had to take a carb apart,never had a pet thingy go bad,never had to replace a hose.Around 14 difference motorcycles.Nor has my brother with over 200000 miles.The only thing I can say they were all kept inside.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Grand Strand

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/21/11 at 17:13:09

Iono wrote on 08/21/11 at 16:59:23:
... I go back to the LS650 carb for sale and it is gone....  Too funny

I dont think that it is all that funny -  Undecided
I saw that carb as well. I didn’t get it but I was watching it! Darn.  :'(
Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 08/21/11 at 17:26:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/21/11 at 16:39:07:

Now, this is a question -- I don't know the answer.

How do you know the vac petcock is really shutting off the flow of gas when the engine is off?

Is there a test to see if the vac petcock is actually working correctly?    If so, what is it and how often should you do it?

I mean, if we have stiffrubberitus going on that won't allow gas to flow freely through the valve, is the converse possibly true as well?   Diaphragm won't flex to allow the valve to close completely under the same little bitty weak spring pressure that it can't overcome to open things up?

How would we know?

Undecided

Logically if one is occurring then how likely is the other?  

But how would you test for it?

OF, I really am surprised at this question coming from you.
You really don't know how to check if the valve is really shutting off ??
Tell me you're kidding !

Well, how would you check to see if a raptor in shutting off Shocked

Yes, I question a lot of your factual information about all these  diaphrams failing in 10 yrs old and less bikes. But then, you have been here a lot longer than I have. And I won't ask for any proof of all your facts. It is plain to see that you are determined to pick away at every part of that valve, why I don't get, and don't care anymore.

But, please, do tell me one more time that you don't know how to check if the vac valve is shutting off !! Roll Eyes Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 08/21/11 at 17:35:10

bill67 wrote on 08/21/11 at 17:09:46:
Over 150000 miles in 40 years never had to take a carb apart,never had a pet thingy go bad,never had to replace a hose.Around 14 difference motorcycles.Nor has my brother with over 200000 miles.The only thing I can say they were all kept inside.

Bill, how would keeping inside make the diaphram valves last forever.

I'd bet the fact is that there is not near as many failures as this site pretends.
I do believe that there is a bunch of perfectly good valves laying around the country, strictly because of all the politics on this site
against them.

Rich
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 08/21/11 at 18:28:16

It's funny that you see it as politics...

Maybe it's gall darned conspiracy!... Grin Grin Grin...

PS,.. OF, I think if you pull the fuel line and gas flows out,... that's a bad sign... (thingy on, engine off, of course)...

PSS,... I wasn't a member of Anti-vac party until I had 4 bad ones out of 6 bikes I bought to fix and resell...
They go at 7 to 10 years... if you fix them before they destroy your engine, your okay...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 08/21/11 at 18:33:05

Routy, this is your chance to shine.  

You believe in the vac petcock and you now have a chance to develop a test so folks will know that the shut off vac return function still works correctly.  I mean that is your main interest in the things, right?  Safety first?  Prove that the safety aspect still works.

How will you apply vac?    How much vac matches what the bike puts out?  How much gas should it flow when it is "on" over what time?   How quick should it stop?  How many drops coming from a stopped vac petcock's carb bowl infeed line constitutes failure?   How many drops coming from the vac line constitutes failure?

Good luck there buddy -- until you propose your test and prove it out somebody might have license to say "Sorry, nobody really knows if a vac petcock really cuts the gas off each time or not."

And that would be a fact.

========================

All the junked vac petcocks were taken off by folks who had very good reason to think the "vac on fuel on" function on their bike wasn't operating correctly.   Their bikes stumbled and died.   Then they did Serobot's test and the vac petcock failed it.  Then they verified this lack of correct vac petcock function by replacement, and the bad stuff stopped.  

Symptom, Test then Verification.  

Pretty solid method there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 03:21:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!