Another Carb Question (Read 407 times)
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Another Carb Question
08/20/11 at 20:40:00

Here's the deal
1.  Carb issue, turned out to be petcock, replaced Petcock and sealed vacum on Carb
   A. bike ran pretty good.

2.  Problems with the carb again when getting up to or at speed not getting fuel sputtering engine, finally conking out.
   A.  Took it to a machanic, he cleaned and it ran pretty good for a bout a week or so

3.  Bought dial a jet seem to do the trick, took off down the road all was well for about a mile then BAM!!!!!, same issue, but worst.

4.  Took the carb apart the main jet had become unseated and bouncing around.
A.  screwed back in and cleaned, ran like nuts

5.  Finally got my set of Main jets and pilot jets in from Niche cycle supply
I change to a cone air filter, I tried from 150-160 main jets, plus 55 piolt jet.
A. 160 with 55 seemed to do the trick, the air mix screw was about half a turn out and idled fine.

6.  Took off down the road, however in 1st gear getting up to speed it started to bog down, then conked out...
A. Now won't start, took off carb put back smaller pilot jet, still won't start.

Plenty of fuel in the carb, as every time I've taken it off it is full of fuel

7. LOOKING FOR MY GUN, THIS BIKE MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok this bike is a savage 400, I want to buy a new carb, as I am located in Thailand they consider this a big bike and have issues working on it or getting me the proper supplies...i.e. I now shop on ebay for my jets and other needs

I need some help in purchasing a new carb...I find MX thumper carbs for 250 and a Yamaha 500, but no single cylinder 4 stroke carb, and the only marking on the carb is 00RR...

So can someone send me a link to a carb or point me in the right direction as this purchase needs to be spot on as I will have it shipped here..I want to ensure I'm asking the right questions and know what I"m buying or buying the right one.....thanks in advance.

One more thing, it looks as if the needle is slightly bent, however slides up and down and needle depresses and springs back when pressure added...Fit new carb.....

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Another Carb Question
Reply #1 - 08/20/11 at 21:39:30

Is Oddfellow taking notes ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/20/11 at 21:49:37

400 Savages are not available in the US,... so we don't know a lot about them...
I don't even know what the stock jetting is in one... but, a #160 main would be very large for our 650's, so I think that's way too much... the #55 pilot is large, too...

I think you are likely flooding out, not starving for fuel....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/20/11 at 21:50:44

Yes, in Thialand they abuse their carburetors by using the snot out of them and then having to work on them too much.

You did note what the step #1 problem was, didn't you?     Bad vac petcock ....  very consistent with our step #1 problem here in the USA.

If he had paper fuel filtered & Raptored and then had stayed out of the carburetor perhaps the carb would not have deteriorated so much nor so rapidly ....

Carburetors take more damage getting worked on than they do by riding them.  This one has been worked on a WHOLE LOT, by the user and by various mechanics -- worked on to death sounds like.

But I also bet this may be primary transportation that runs a lot more rugged miles than my bike does here in the states.

He needs a new carburetor, can he identify the Mikuni part number of his existing carb and maybe we can spot him an equivalent sized carb?    00RR isn't a Mikuni carb designation on any list I can find.

From what he has said so far about jetting and model #  -- may not be the same main body as ours.  

This is our carburetor

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

Could he use one of our carbs?   Difficult to say without knowing more as he wants it to "bolt up and be right".    What size is his intake and exit flanges?   How does his throttle cable work the carb?  

Odds of "bolt up and work right" are very slim using one of our stock 650 carbs.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/20/11 at 23:34:32

My carb looks exactly the same, when I tested the jets I started at 150 and then up, yeah your right about to much fuel as now I think I've fouled the plug so it won't start...I will take a picture of my carb and post.
Thanks,
Kent
Oh one more thing, yup this carb has been worked to death, when the one mechanic cleaned it he actually took a file to one of the arms for the float pin and went to town on it....man this is so much fun

IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/21/11 at 00:14:30

The Carb is a Mikuni, however I cannot see the part number all it says is made in Japan on one side and Mikuni on the other, the brass at the bottom of the carb was for the dial a jet, which I plugged...I did close off the vac inlet and added a normal pet thingy, not a raptor...please see photos.
Thanks,
Kent

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8117/kentcarb1.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1201/kentcarb2.jpg
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1449/kentcarb3.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3624/kentcarb4.jpg
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4449/kentcarb5.jpg
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/8711/kentcarb6.jpg

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/21/11 at 02:13:22

Kent, go to the marketplace and buy you a good used carburetor from one of the folks there.

A stock Savage carb will "likely" bolt up and run, it looks like.   It will be "within range" of what you have done to your old carb, actually a little leaner than the huge jets you have been running.

Do you run a fuel filter?

Have you replaced your stock Suzuki petcock with a Raptor yet?

Doing these two things before bolting on your new carb will decrease the odds of you having to go into it again (it will last longer for you).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/21/11 at 04:10:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/21/11 at 02:13:22:
Kent, go to the marketplace and buy you a good used carburetor from one of the folks there.

A stock Savage carb will "likely" bolt up and run, it looks like.   It will be "within range" of what you have done to your old carb, actually a little leaner than the huge jets you have been running.

Do you run a fuel filter?

Have you replaced your stock Suzuki petcock with a Raptor yet?

Doing these two things before bolting on your new carb will decrease the odds of you having to go into it again (it will last longer for you).

I actually replaced the petcock twice, chinese petcocks the first one fell apart the second one has worked out (it is filtered), has on and reserve, so I'm getting fuel...I have asked around for a carb and they look at me like a hog staring at a wrist watch as most only deal with 110cc or a few 250cc...the harley dealer here is a pain in the ass, I've discovered that most mechanics in my area just fiddle until it runs, this is the reason I started attempting my own repairs...with that said...what would be the mikuni or other brand name replacement carb nomenclature (size) that I can buy off of ebay? Thanks,
Kent

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/21/11 at 04:14:47

Go to the general category heading of this forum, you will see Marketplace -- you can buy a carburetor there from someone breaking down a bike.

Here is an ebay carb service that seems to be pretty pricey

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-LS650-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-SERVICE-CARB-R...

That is not a fuel filter -- that is just a screen.  This is a fuel filter.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/21/11 at 05:11:16

Thanks for the info, I'll look into a fuel filter here and research the carb issue.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/21/11 at 06:54:26

Quote:
You did note what the step #1 problem was, didn't you?     Bad vac petcock ....  very consistent with our step #1 problem here in the USA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Huh ?? what ?
What I noticed was that replacing the pet thingy did nothing to help the carb problem. All you gotta do is add this one to the list.

Apparently even Thailand has been reading all the posts here of how replacing the pet thingy fixes everything ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/21/11 at 07:02:54

Quote:
Carburetors take more damage getting worked on than they do by riding them.
---------------------------------------------
Truer words were never spoken !

Rich
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/21/11 at 09:10:07

Routy wrote on 08/21/11 at 07:02:54:
Quote:
Carburetors take more damage getting worked on than they do by riding them.

I'm having a little trouble understanding this statement. (Unless, of course, you didn't know what you were doing in the first place)
I have rebuilt many carbs in my day, and have never had one turn out worse than before I started. With 1 exception. I had what I thought was a float problem on mine. Turned out to be the needle and seat--was not seating properly, and was allowing carb to flood.
So are we talking about breaking something, or forgetting a gasket, or not setting the float right or what?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/21/11 at 09:43:41

Routy, read on to what he had to say about having to replace his petcock twice before he finally got a simple manual petcock that worked right.

He admits his current carb issues mostly stem from having people try to fix his carburetor multiple times (back when it wasn't necessarily the carb itself that was the total illness).

Now, after the grinder man got into his carb, yes his carb is dead
(tortured to death by Freddie Kruger and his file fingers)

Routy, you still don't have a list -- you have never shown any evidence of the first Savage S40 or LS650 carb issue that didn't start out as a petcock mess to begin with.   (this one started out as a petcock anyway, so it doesn't help you any)

And, if you think this is one, you are simply mistaken.  

Grin  
Or else were mebbe all the rest of that non-list possibly non-650ccSavage examples too?   I thought we were talking about 650 Savage motorcycles,  not "other" cycles.
Grin
Heck, you'd be like Bill -- trying to justify his point with a 1966 Moto-Guzzi

================

Drums -- you got it in one.  The persons he paid to fix it who took a file or grinder to his carb insides didn't have a clue what they were doing.  After they screwed it up, he tried to get it going again and he now knows he need a fresh carburetor as he is fed up with the current one and considers it about worth a bullet.

If someone sells him a good working condition carburetor off a running breaker bike, he won't pay more than an arm to get his 400 going again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/21/11 at 10:00:38

Quote:
I'm having a little trouble understanding this statement. (Unless, of course, you didn't know what you were doing in the first place)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You got it !

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:30:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.