High idle after riding (Read 640 times)
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
High idle after riding
08/19/11 at 22:07:31

I have a 1997 LS650 that idles fine when I start it (no choke no throttle). After a 5 minute ride the idle speeds up. I adjusted the idle screw on the carb to the point where it isn't touching the throttle linkage. I have only had this bike since Sunday and have only ridden it a few times. Is this normal, should the engine idle increase after it warms up? Thanks, Brian

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: High idle after riding
Reply #1 - 08/19/11 at 22:19:26

No, not normal, some increase is but till you have to back off the screw till it don't touch.

1st possible, did you push the choke in after warm up?
little knob on the side of the carb.

#2, possible the throttle cable got snagged on something and the ends aren't sitting in there little pockets.

#3, is the petcock working normally?  maybe the vac line got pulled off.

WWW   IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #2 - 08/19/11 at 22:31:48

No, I didn't pull the choke out when I started. I checked the throttle cable as I had the carb off yesterday and they aren't hanging up. Could a pinched vac line on the petcock cause it, (im running it on prime). I havent checked that. Other than that the bike runs great.
Thanks

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/19/11 at 22:42:10

check out how to attach the lines in the tech section
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/20/11 at 03:36:46

Snowdevil,

You mentioned that you are running in prime -- have you done the rest of the items recommended by Serobot .... there are some tubes and nipples that need to be plugged off.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

If your idle is still climbing a lot after doing this you have to ask the question "where is the extra gas coming from?"

If your idle increase is relatively minor, that could be due to your engine warming up  
(the oil thins out a tiny bit when it gets hot, especially if you are using a heavy 20w50 oil)

My idle increases a bit after a hard ride, everything is hot, fully expanded and worked in well after that hard ride.

When the engine is cold, it's cold after all.   It should have a small difference in idle speed between cold and freshly exercised hot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/20/11 at 04:51:35

If the screw is not touching the throttle plate stop, and its idling too fast, the engine is getting air/fuel from somewhere other than by the throttle plate,......only if the throttle plate is centered in the bore and sealing correctly, I would look for a worn throttle plate shaft, or other vacuum leak, keeping in mind that any vacuum leak ahead of the carb venturi will not have fuel mixed w/ it, and will make for a rough idle, which may or may not be able to be compensated for by adjusting the idle mix screw.

But on 2nd thought, if all else fails, maybe a Raptor will fix it ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #6 - 08/20/11 at 05:51:32

[quote author=04272F2D2E27272E394B0 link=1313816851/0#4 date=1313836606]
Snowdevil,

You mentioned that you are running in prime -- have you done the rest of the items recommended by Serobot .... there are some tubes and nipples that need to be plugged off.

Honestly I thought as far as the petcock went that prime was "ON" and the other was a "reserve" setting. Now I'm guessing I am wrong....

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/20/11 at 06:09:16

Routy,

Really, you shouldn't do that to yourself -- now that Snowdevil has read up on it a little bit he may choose to put a Raptor on his bike just to clear up the muddy water a little bit "so he can see the stumps more clearly" so to speak.

And what will hurt your feelings is if he lowers the muddy water level low enough to see that he might not have any large issues past that point.

Did the Raptor fix anything in his carburetor ?? -- NO, it just gave him a supply of gasoline to the carburetor that is unchanging and stable no matter what the engine intake vacuum levels or the engine speed.

Roll Eyes    ..... and sometimes that does help sort things out a bit

Snowdevil, I done took up for you now, so you need to read all of this carefully and try to follow what is going on ....  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

If you need to ask questions, jest ask them -- you are embarking on the great carb/petcock adventure and we are all here to help you.

Please keep on posting as we are interested in what you do and what finally fixes your problem.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/20/11 at 06:26:57

& the reason the screw isnt touching is because its been backed out, not because the plate isnt rotating home all the ay?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/20/11 at 06:36:12

Jog, let him get his vac petcock technology & terms straightened out a bit and let him try Serobot's test method correctly, then Snowdevil can tell us something that will let us know better how to help him.

Snow,  you have read about whacking your float bowl a few times with a screwdriver handle -- you may want to do that just to make sure your float is free moving and is responding correctly to your gas level in your carburetor.   It is a cheap & easy trick and it effectively resets your float level to "normal" when you have just freshly done it.

If Serrobot's test and a couple of whacks with a screwdriver on the float bowl make your issues go away, then you will know something.  

If not, then you still know something, just a different something.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/20/11 at 06:47:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/20/11 at 06:26:57:
& the reason the screw isnt touching is because its been backed out, not because the plate isnt rotating home all the ay?

Well you could have put a smile behind that statement,.....unless by per chance you don't have a clue ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 08/20/11 at 06:48:20

Why is he running his bike on Prime,
and would that have anything to do with it? kim

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/20/11 at 06:54:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/20/11 at 06:36:12:

Jog, let him get his vac petcock technology & terms straightened out a bit and let him try Serobot's test method correctly, then Snowdevil can tell us something that will let us know better how to help him.

OF,
Tell me you/guys really think that Snow's fast idle problem could have even the slightest chance of being cause by the vac petcock ! If so, I give it up !

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/20/11 at 06:55:18

Kim, he thought it was on prime but said that he had "on" and "prime" confused -- let's give him a chance to get his technology and terms straight and try Serobot's test (plus a few carb bowl whacks) and lets see what he finds out.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 08/20/11 at 07:03:46

Routy, no -- I would guess a sticking float or leaking needle from what little we know right now.

That's why I am trying to get him to do Serobot's test plus a few carb bowl whacks.

If he runs good, then we get him to undo the tee and the cap and see if it still keep working good.

The only reason we are doing Serobot's test is to take out any potential risk of any pinholes or splits in the diaphragm that could be bypassing gas down the vac tube to "speed up the engine".   You have to remove and plug the vac line and cap the intake nipple to remove this possibility.

Right now all we have us a newbie who is using terms that we all understand but he isn't necessarily using them the way we expect -- "prime" being the example at hand of ??? usage.   If he had prime backwards, he wasn't doing a Serobot test at all .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:13:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High idle after riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.