Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: High idle after riding
Reply #45 - 08/22/11 at 13:32:16

Versy, don't you think the vac line dies first?

Then if you replace it, what goes next?    (I will amend the symptom list to make it clearer that you have to fix the vac line because I agree -- if you don't fix it you aren't going forward from there)

Thank you for the feedback, I know this topic irritates you to no end and I appreciate it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 08/22/11 at 14:01:32

verslagen1 wrote on 08/22/11 at 12:07:29:
From my own experience...

I purchased the '96 in '05.  I ran the petcock for about a year with no problems. 10 years effectively Then needed to run it on reserve all the time.  Then noticed a drop of gas in the vac line (when between 06 and now was this?  10-16 years old depending on clarification date) so I swapped it for an '02.  Still running fine.

The '88 leaked from the get go, rebuilt with kit.  (over 20 years old?)

I use "cheap a$$" 3/16 vac line, it gets hard after a year.  With multiple tank removals a year for various maitenance, it don't last long.  Same with the fuel line.

$

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 08/22/11 at 14:07:15

Amended time line with inputs added  (dates moved into text to make it clearer)

1)  Vac line getting cracked/holey is the first item in the time line.
(note:  this time line assumes you fix the vac hose and keep it fixed by yearly replacement or honestly, you will never get past step #1)
 year 7-10

2)  Diaphragm getting partially stiff and failing to flow enough gas at full speeds is the second item in the time line.  
We generally call this "stumbling at highway speeds".
years 7-15

3)  "False reserve" indications start somewhere about here too.  years 7-15

4)  Getting an occasional (rare) stuck float at the ends of float bowl travel (3 raps with the screwdriver handle fixes it) starts somewhere around here too.  These generally happen when the bike "runs out of gas" on the open road when you still have like a half of a tank of gas.
years 7-15

5)  Diaphragm getting so stiff you can't start the scoot sometimes after it dies on you.  years 15-25

6)  Last comes diaphragm pinhole/crack death and the gush of gasoline down into the air box and the sump.    years 15-25

« Last Edit: 08/22/11 at 17:10:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 08/22/11 at 14:21:16

I plead insanity due to work

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 08/22/11 at 14:27:14

And I think I understand something else that I didn't before -- because of the age of the bikes when you bought them you jumped right into the thick of things (into the more advanced problems).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #50 - 08/22/11 at 14:31:04

Anybody consider running a clear vac hose?...  

Wonder what a leaky vac line looks like?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #51 - 08/22/11 at 14:35:23

Serowbot wrote on 08/22/11 at 14:31:04:
Anybody consider running a clear vac hose?...  

Wonder what a leaky vac line looks like?... Huh...

Run both a clear Vac hose and Fuel line on a stock petc0ck. No problems yet (knock on wood). Had the tank off over the weekend and noticed both lines that are now 2yrs old are stiff, so I will replace them next chance I get.

I've been considering the Raptor changeover for some time now, but have yet to have any of the symptoms on my garage kept 2005 so I haven't bothered yet.

Tick, tick, tick, just waiting  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 08/22/11 at 14:35:30

Considering you may be courting engine damage at that stage of things I wouldn't want to spend time taking Youtube videos of gas drooling down your clear vac tube .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #53 - 08/22/11 at 16:03:26

Of,
why don't you give it up. You're beaten,...you even sound like a beaten man,....just grabbin for straws anymore. You accuse me of not backing up what I say. Well I don't have to ! I am defending OEM saftey equipment on our motorcycles, and I have no reason not to.
You're saying it's all junk,....well,....if you ask me, I think you are the one that is obligated to back up your reasons for condeming perfectly good equipment. You seem to know it all,......well lets be backin up you're talk ! You can't do it,.....w/ anything credible that is ! All you have done is get all the gullables here all paranoid that anything that happens to their bike just has to some how be caused by the pethingy.
If you don't know any better, I feel for you,.....but some how I think you're smarter than what you have shown in these pet threads.
You don't have to "poor Routy" me,.....I'm doing just fine, and so is my s-40 BTW,......really, I have never had a better running motorcycle in my 50 yrs of riding.
So, tellya what, go pedal your paranoia on some more nubies that will listen, and don't worry about me beating you down any farther,......cuz I'm outta these pet threads ! I have got a life !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #54 - 08/22/11 at 16:45:35

Routy wrote on 08/22/11 at 05:09:22:
Curious, how old was this pethingy that didn't have a broken diaphram yet ?

It was the stock petcork on my '06 S40. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed everything, but seems the lube didn't stay long. It was fine for a few days, then got hard to turn again. It was still doable, but hurt the fingers and I was afraid it would break off and take some finger meat with it, slamming against the then nice and sharp fractured surfaces. It was still doing fine otherwise, because after I replaced it there was no difference in the way the bike ran at all. The diaphragm didn't appear to be stiff at all. Didn't feel aged, but I have no comparison to a new one of course.
On a side note, so far I never had any running problems with stumble at high speeds or anything like that.
The only thing I've noticed is, that I'm having to switch to reserve after 1.8 gallons, but that was the same with the old and the new petcork. I could swear when I got the bike it was around 2 gallons. I have no idea why.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 08/22/11 at 16:51:04

Routy, please don't go .... without you there is no opposing viewpoint being expressed and little progress gets made.

I'm sorry you think that vac petcocks have nothing wrong with them, but I think Serobot has the right of it, you have a relatively new bike and nothing is wrong with yours yet.

Verslagen is different, he bought old bikes that already were pretty advanced in their symptoms, so he has a different viewpoint that is based upon that.  His bikes all drooled out the vac tube at one point in time and he had to fix them by rebuild or by swap out (on his first bike, was this pre-Raptor, but Bobo mods and "running in prime" existed?).

I bought mine used, but with only 480 miles on the ticker (hubby bought it for his wife so they could tool around together but she got pregnant and never rode again).  So, I had the opportunity to go through the whole chain of symptoms.

And you my friend shall be blessed with the same opportunities that I had -- given enough miles and time.    When your time comes, you will pick your best course based on what is known then ....  you do have rebuild kits identified now thanks to Verslagen's good work.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 08/22/11 at 16:54:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/22/11 at 14:07:15:

4)  Getting an occasional (rare) stuck float at the ends of float bowl travel  

Blaming a stuck float cause you allow the bowl to empty is pretty sad. sure you may not want to go in there and clean out the rough spot that causes it to stick.  just a sorry excuse IMHO.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 08/22/11 at 16:58:05

Yup, but you have to admit it is quick/free/easy way to find out what sort of aggravation your vac petcock has just handed you.   It is easy to suggest to a newbie that they carry a big screwdriver in their saddle bag until they finally resolve all their petcock issues -- ain't so easy to teach them how to do fine filing work inside a carburetor without screwing things up any)

Now, when the Raptor went in and the fuel level quit going up & down due to starvation (float stayed in the middle like it is supposed to) the float sticking stuff stopped completely.

And I didn't allow the bowl to go empty, I was "running out of gas" with over a half tank of gas in there by that point in time and having the dickens of a time getting gas back into the bowl when it stopped me by the roadside (prime didn't seem to be working very well either by then, why I cannot say -- don't know)

My petcock was having me off pretty good by then ....

======================

List modifications made -- Versy are the dates all pretty much in the ball park with what you saw on your two older bikes?    The older symptoms have a pretty broad time span, but they are based on the earliest latest anyone said that they saw them.

Amended symptom time line with inputs added  (dates moved into text to make it clearer)

1)  Vac line getting cracked/holey is the first item in the time line.
(note:  this time line assumes you fix the vac hose and keep it fixed by yearly replacement or honestly, you may suffer some of the symptoms shown below just because your vac hose is leaking and won't hold suction)
year 7-10

2)  Diaphragm getting partially stiff and failing to flow enough gas at full speeds is the second item in the time line.  
We generally call this "stumbling at highway speeds".
years 7-15

3)  "False reserve" indications start somewhere about here too.  years 7-15

4)  Getting an occasional (rare) stuck float at the ends of float bowl travel (3 raps with the screwdriver handle fixes it) starts somewhere around here too.  These generally happen when the bike "runs out of gas" on the open road when you still have like a half of a tank of gas.
years 7-15

5)  Diaphragm getting so stiff you can't start the scoot sometimes after it dies on you.  years 15-25

6)  Last comes diaphragm pinhole/crack death and the drool of gasoline down the vac line into the air box and the sump.    years 15-25

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #58 - 08/22/11 at 17:29:51

The intent of this post was to ask for help about high idle, not to instigate a fight over "my kid can beat up your kid". To those who posted about checking the throttle cable,vac lines, tapping on the carb, etc, THANK YOU! I also posted that this bike is new to me, I don't know everything about it or claim to.

Let say I know NOTHING about this bike. Please give me an explanation of the OEM petc-ock setting. I have 2 dirtbikes and a four wheeler whose petc-ock use ON,OFF,RES only. What the heck is PRIME?
Secondly there are 2 settings on the choke, I'm use to choke ON/OFF please explain this.

Sometimes people just want to know what time it is, not how to build a clock.  Wink

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 08/22/11 at 17:35:05

Prime is a fuel pathway that bypasses the vacuum actuation portion of the OEM petcock.   It also bypasses the reserve gas function, so if you run in prime you gotta watch your gas level or mileage so you don't run it bone dry and leave yourself stranded.

We really don't have a choke like you normally think about it, we have a fuel enrichment circuit that can add (stage 1, first click out) a little bit of gas or (stage 2, second click out) a large amount of gas.

Choke pushed in all the way is how you are supposed to leave it when running ....

owner manual and shop manuals here ....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1138554254

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:18:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High idle after riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.