Send Topic Print
High idle after riding (Read 640 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: High idle after riding
Reply #15 - 08/20/11 at 07:06:05

I really have no clue & doubt that what I suggested is the problem, but it is possible,, maybe,, so I thot Id toss it out there,,
Its a great time for some learnin, tho, so,, Ill shaddup & let OF help him,, he'll be better off later..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 08/20/11 at 07:08:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/20/11 at 07:06:05:
he'll be better off later..

Are you sure Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/20/11 at 07:10:36

Good point,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/20/11 at 07:24:11

Sound to me it needs some Sea Foam ran in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/20/11 at 07:40:23

And klotz  Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 08/20/11 at 07:48:53

I understand why Verslagen has referred to "going quiet" in frustration, all the list's humorists have had too too durn much fun with petcock issues in the past.

Huh      mia culpa there too -- arrgh

...... and I also sense that the long string of things you have to do to wend through the complexities of a "carb issue" are getting too steep for a mechanical novice to get their heads around.

Can we simplify this test path in any meaningful fashion?

Seriously, "Throw on a Raptor & plug the port, put a jigger of Seafoam in the gas tank and whack the float bowl 3 times and call my nurse in the morning if it doesn't get any better" is what a typical proctologist would tell him to do for a first step.

(after taking the call on his cell phone from the golf course of course)

Sad thing is this really would fix like 90+ percent of the newbie "carb issues" that we see round here.   But then Routy and Veslagen and Jog and KimChris would be asking "Well, what did you really fix?" and the answer would have to be "Well heck, the shotgun blast took out the burglar, the safe and the wall -- it stopped the problem".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/20/11 at 08:22:22

Why don't you advise him to swap out his head bearings too.
sooner or later they're gonna go bad.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/20/11 at 08:33:48

See?   I try to play it straight and you tease me and I tease you back then you get all serious about it.

Huh

OK, Snow you jest listen to Serobot and Verslagen -- they are gonna walk you through it all one slow step at a time ....

Don't you be listening to no silly joking proctologists, that's the rest of them (me included) -- as they have their total attention focused on poking some fun up somebody else's shorts anyway.

« Last Edit: 08/20/11 at 15:36:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 08/20/11 at 15:39:39

Snow hasn't been back in a while, (can I blame him?) and I'm thinkin if I was a nu-b, and came here w/ the fast idle problem he has, and received 2 pages of what he received,.....I'm wonderin if I'd ever be back !.....seriously !
I know,....shame on me too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 08/20/11 at 16:33:20

Could be that he was tryin' to maintain that super low, almost dying idle speed that people seem to think sounds cool...
Dangerous for oil pressure, but sounding cool...

I didn't suspect the petcock on this one,... but with a Savage, any carb problem is best tackled after a simple two minute petcock check, before digging deeper and causing a possible problem...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/20/11 at 22:01:42

Serobot's test is a logical starting place for a first pass test.  

Remove the "noise" first (also get the newbie used to the terms we use) then analyze what remains.

Most of them fix the petcock then the problems go away.

(and so do they, they got their help and that's why they were here in the first place)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 08/21/11 at 07:53:13

Serowbot wrote on 08/20/11 at 16:33:20:
Could be that he was tryin' to maintain that super low, almost dying idle speed that people seem to think sounds cool...
Dangerous for oil pressure, but sounding cool...

I didn't suspect the petcock on this one,... but with a Savage, any carb problem is best tackled after a simple two minute petcock check, before digging deeper and causing a possible problem...
Wink...

I agree, your pet check is good to do in any case,...if a person will take a the few minutes time to do it. But excluding any problem w/ fuel running in where it shouldn't be, any other problem can be checked by using the very simple "prime" check. If prime doesn't fix it, a raptor won't either,..simple as that. So I agree, check check check first.

But any advice to raptorize it first,... just to eliminate a problem that mite happen some day ??? Shocked Sad Embarrassed Undecided :'(

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 08/21/11 at 13:11:31

Routy wrote on 08/20/11 at 04:51:35:
If the screw is not touching the throttle plate stop, and its idling too fast, the engine is getting air/fuel from somewhere other than by the throttle plate,......only if the throttle plate is centered in the bore and sealing correctly, I would look for a worn throttle plate shaft, or other vacuum leak, keeping in mind that any vacuum leak ahead of the carb venturi will not have fuel mixed w/ it, and will make for a rough idle, which may or may not be able to be compensated for by adjusting the idle mix screw.

But on 2nd thought, if all else fails, maybe a Raptor will fix it ! Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes

Now Routy, who was it that first suggested using the Raptor to fix everything?

Grin

I later on humorously recounted what a lazy practicing proctologist might would do if you interrupted his golf game .... but I didn't call any names -- really I didn't.

But hey, if the glove fits, stick it on up there and tickle him some, he seems to need a chuckle ....

========================

OK crew, Routy says I have oldbrainfart amnesia and don't remember several newbies who have dialed in recently with "carburetor issues" that did not involve a petcock flaw of any sort.

I truly don't recall any, as a matter of fact the petcock replacement has wound up fixing all that has come in lately.   Routy remembers there were two though (although the names and any of the details seem to have escaped him) so I'm askin' .....

Somebody help us out and remind both of us of who these folks were, I wanna give Routy his count credit if he indeed deserves it.   It has to involve a LS650 or an S40 though.

(got to have some standards about this sort of funny business or it would get ridiculous)

Since it's my brainfart, you have full permission to help me out all you want to.

Cheesy              I'll go get my crow out of the freezer so he can thaw out some.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 08/21/11 at 19:14:47

Well, lets see a list of all the ones that  raptorizing fixed, excluding the ones that think it mite have fixed it,......or at least helped it, and excluding the ones that will say it fixed it, only because they will never admit that they foolishly spent $30 on something that was supposed to fix their bad idle problem, or their backfiring problem or any other problem that was caused by dirt in the tank and no fuel filter,.... had nothing to do w/ the pethingy.

Better yet, lets see some pictures of all those hundreds of broken diaphrams that came out of all those less than 10yr old bikes,......aw WTH,..make it 15 yr old bikes !

How many times have we heard/read,..."I turned it to prime and it didn't help any" And the ones that said it did fix it, how many of those replaced a vacuum line that was 20 yrs old, and all was well.
Replace ther vacuum hose yearly ?? Quit being so cheap and buy a good vacuum hose. I mean, I know 3 bikes that are 5 yrs old, and the hose is like new yet. Don't believe me, ask Bill !!  Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #29 - 08/21/11 at 21:46:48

I replace my vacuum hose once a year, regardless. I got three feet of 3/16" fuel hose from O'Reilly's for a couple of Dollars. Lasts me several years.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:22:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High idle after riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.