Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork streering bearings... (Read 63 times)
sdlc808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fork streering bearings...
08/18/11 at 13:55:43

So I took my 2006 S40 in for its 7500 mile service and the mechanic tells me that my fork bearings need to be replaced ($350).  Since I never noticed any unusual performance with my steering I borrowed my friends jack and jacked up the bike.  There was absolutely no play or hesitation when turning left to right or pulling/pushing on the fork.  I no longer trust that shop anymore.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Fork streering bearings...
Reply #1 - 08/18/11 at 13:59:52

From my own experience, the only reason to replace those bearings is if you have a frontal impact which knocks the rollers loose. That's what I discovered after I plowed into the rear bumper of a van at a red light. I could feel some squirrelly vibration when leaning into curves and it was the bearings, so I fixed 'em.  

I suppose they could also dry out if the bike sits for an extended time also.  

Oh, and it shouldn't cost anywhere near $350 - parts were less than $30.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/18/11 at 14:44:28

sdlc808 wrote on 08/18/11 at 13:55:43:
So I took my 2006 S40 in for its 7500 mile service and the mechanic tells me that my fork bearings need to be replaced ($350).  Since I never noticed any unusual performance with my steering I borrowed my friends jack and jacked up the bike.  There was absolutely no play or hesitation when turning left to right or pulling/pushing on the fork.  I no longer trust that shop anymore.

+1  Mine is an '87 with about 8300 miles.  My fork bearings are original and just fine.  Can't imagine your '06 needing them...unless they were improperly installed at the factory, but I think you would notice something not being right when you tested it.  Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/18/11 at 15:21:07

I've got an '88 that had bad bearings.
Took it apart, scotch bright the races and put it back together.
like new.

While the parts are only $30, getting them out is a be otch.

WWW   IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #4 - 08/18/11 at 16:32:45

Somewhere near 40,000 km my steering head bearings were toast, but that was year-round, 120 km-worth of daily commute. So they'd seen a lot of high speed in heavy rain. Seems like the dust cover over the top bearing is not enough to keep water out, but the seal under the bottom bearing is enough to keep it in ... for a while anyway. All the grease had washed out and races were badly rust pitted and worn. When I replaced the bearings I used copious amounts of the most water proof grease I could find and left the bottom seal out.

Hadn't realised how much fear the notchy/sticky steering had been producing.

Oh ... there's no way you're getting the bottom race off the head stem, or fitting the new one, yourself. Verrry big press required.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/18/11 at 17:46:14

You keep it outside? Do YOU think they need replaced? Turn the wheel to one lock, hold the brake, push & pull,, feel clacking? If so, get in to the bearings & lube them, then tighten it up & rock the front left & right, then, after youve made the bearings let go of the crap,  adjust it so it moves freely, but doesnt clack,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:29:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork streering bearings...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.