Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What do you think about the vac petcock (multivote is OK)

Great technology that needs periodic rebuild
Aggravating thing that needs replacement
Not a potential cause of other issues
Is a potential cause of other issues
I will keep mine forever (rebuilds as needed)
When mine craps out I'll go Raptor
===========
I haven't had to deal with it yet -- no opinion

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 08/18/11 at 10:16:24 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION<<<<< (Read 529 times)
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Re: Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION<<<<<
Reply #30 - 08/18/11 at 08:31:14

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 08/18/11 at 06:13:36:
Y'all are making this way to hard.

PLUG the vacuum line & turn the petcock to PRIME. If you still get fuel from the vent tubes, the problem is a leaking needle & seat. If you no longer get fuel out the vents, the problem is the petcock leaking from the vacuum line. Cool

Of course there could be more than one problem occuring at the same time, but that is unlikely. Shocked

HTH. Wink

(Trumpets Sounding)  Now that makes total sense!  Smiley

All I know is that after installing the Raptor, I have not had any fuel supply issues one way or the other.  Personally, I never cared for the whole vacuum operated fuel valve concept.  The first bike I bought with one, I was always trying to turn it OFF out of habit. Grin    ON/OFF/RESERVE... simple and time tested. Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION
Reply #31 - 08/18/11 at 09:05:17

Serobot, RidgeRunner's addition to THE TEST sounds like it may have some merit.   Ponder on it a bit and see if you can work it in up in the main post up top if you think it is worthy.

I have noticed the main body of THE TEST has picked up some extra explanations and extra details as we have worked them out through discovery and discussion.

Verslagen's main protest is that "everything is the fault of the petcock" and eventually he is right and something is gonna eventually fail completely apart from the petcock and I am gonna eat some crow.  

Eventually.    Bite that big ol' stinky dirty bird and spit me some black feathers ....

Problem is that just about every new bike eventually has vac petcock issues
(or the associated vac petcock symptoms).    

Some of these associated items are STONE BAD NEWS and can potentially harm your engine.

I'll keep counting up occurrences and reserving Verslagen's right for something to screw up apart from the vac petcock, but as the occurrences and evidence mount up you will have to eventually consider that a preemptive vac-dectomy would keep down the spread of issu-itus, it would greatly simply the new Savager's life and it could help protect his sump, cylinder walls and piston.

Until then, we will continue to have these discussions periodically as they do help uncover and explain the complexities of the intricate failure modes of the infamous vac petcork.

Grin         Har there Maty,   ..... plus it's more fun than a keel-haulin'

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 08/18/11 at 09:36:03

Got us a poll again, vote for as many as you feel like voting for.

If you screw up, you can delete your vote and then re-vote again correctly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 08/18/11 at 09:36:50

That is the test, OF...   Just what Ridge says...

Turn to prime, block the vac line...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 08/18/11 at 09:41:53

The sticking float/leaking valve and seat part -- you could mention whacking the bowl with a screwdriver handle or you are gonna have newbies tearing down their carbs right and left and screwing up their carb teardown/rebuilds right and left.

Durn aggravating vac troublesucker -- makes it hard to even talk about testing it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 08/18/11 at 10:31:48

gottcha'... I'll add a tip about that... Wink...

Quote:
EDIT... I've added float tapping tip for stuck floats...  also added install instructions for a Raptor...

Wink...

IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #36 - 08/18/11 at 14:13:26

I've found the raptor from the following site for less than Ron ayers,$17 from this place,less if you enter coupon code meetsister during checkout.got mine for $15 and change.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-5LP-24500-01-00.html

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #37 - 08/18/11 at 14:49:20

I fully understand and believe that if the valve diaphram fails, gas could gravity flow to the intake manifold,....to the piston, seeping down into the crankcase,.....also asuming it could seep into the carb bowl from the intake manifold,......and who knows where else.

What I don't believe is that the valve diaphram fails nearly as often as our group makes it out to do. If diaphram material failed 1/50 th as often as is said here, there would be vehicles lining the shoulders of every road in the country w/ blown fuel pumps !  It is the same diaphram material w/ a life expectency of 10-20 yrs miumum.

The problem I see, is anymore everyone is deathly gun shy of the valve now, blaming everything but a kitchen sink problem onto the vac valve. If they have even so much as a misfire, they are instantly ordering and installing a Raptor, because ya all have them convinced that the Raptor works miracles, and fixed every problem,.....when in reality....and fact, most times it did not.
Several problems have come up here, instantly blamed onto the petcock, when come to find out it already has a Raptor.

I know 2 other bikes personally....'06 & '07, not on this forum,.....make 3 bikes incl mine, 4 & 5 yrs old, and never a problem.

JMTs

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 08/18/11 at 15:29:08

Markusublime wrote on 08/18/11 at 14:13:26:
I've found the raptor from the following site for less than Ron ayers,$17 from this place,less if you enter coupon code meetsister during checkout.got mine for $15 and change.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-5LP-24500-01-00.html

shoot, wish i saw this just 8 hours earlier. . . ahaha

OK, so lets say the raptor does not fix my problem of over flooding gas into the carb and evnetually dripping slightly down the airbox breather tube on the bottom of the bike.

This would leave that my problem is a stuck float?

I've got my carb out and cleaned it in berrymans (which i found is bunk these days  Angry ) and also ran two appropriate does's of SeaFoam.

My night situation still persists on with the bike not being able to idle long enough on its own to warm up, before it shortly dies off. :'(

-also yesterday DURING THE DAY when it was warm as hell, on a small ride up and down some hills with my buddy. My bike running perfect on the "ON" position of the petcock was acting up on me at half tank. I pulled into a gas station and filled up and could not start the bike easily even after having ran the bike for 1 hour. after three failed starts even with a little throttle the bike finally started up fine and the trip was continued.

---

How would I fix the possibility of my floats sticking even after the cleaning of my carb? the ultimate replacing of the float itself???

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #39 - 08/18/11 at 16:02:36

No, your problem could be the needle not sealing well in its' seat. When you have the carb apart, look closely at the tip of the needle to see if it is worn or damaged. Also look closely in the seat where the needle fits for wear or damage. If the needle is not sealing properly, it will seep gas past it even if the float is working properly.

While your in there, check the float to see if it is leaking & has fuel in it, causing it too be too heavy to float properly & seal the fuel inlet.

What is supposed to be wrong with Berrymans? I've been a mechanic all my life & an ASE certified master auto tech 26 years now & have rebuilt more carburetors than I can remember & always soaked the really dirty ones in Berrymans with excellent results. Where are you getting your info? Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #40 - 08/18/11 at 17:26:03

A name that has been around as long as Berrymans, doesn't stay there by not doing the job. Its top rated in my book, always has been.

Maybe you would look for the reason the float is sticking,.....if it is sticking. Maybe they are bent, which could also give it a wrong fuel level in the bowl. Then again, it probably is the needle valve.

Do you have an inline fuel filter tween the tank and the carb ? You should have one. Suzuski didn't put one there because it didn't need one when they owned it Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #41 - 08/18/11 at 17:40:26

Hubba,.. since you have already ordered the Raptor...  Try it first,... before trying to fix something else, that may not even be broken...

Then,.. if the Raptor doesn't fix it... You'll know...

I still think the Raptor will fix it...Wink...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #42 - 08/18/11 at 18:32:27

I'm curious,....
Has the Savage had the "Vac Petcock" since day one ?

Rich
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #43 - 08/18/11 at 18:57:19

Does this mean I need to go back to my Suzuki petcock and clamp off the fuel line with a clothes pin?   Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 08/18/11 at 19:01:03

It get down to that, doesn't it?

With the vac petock in place there is so much "noise" and so many conflicting symptoms that you can't proceed with confidence to do much of anything.

Take all of that murk out of the water (replace vac petcock with a Raptor) and suddenly whatever is still wrong sticks out very clearly.

Now in this particular case, we shall see won't we?    What remains, if anything once the vac petcock is out of the picture?

=============

Do you want to fix your vac petcock instead of replacing it?  

Veslagen is the best source for the issues that come back to see you AFTER you fix your vac petcock.   The VAC HOSE is the first re-occuring item, Veslagen routinely replaces his vac hose yearly as a preventive maintenance item.    Second thing an occasional time/occurace based rebuild of the rubber diaphragm for stiffening or splitting.    This is years and years and years between needing, but it will happen.   Each time it costs as much as a $15 powersports Raptor would cost just to buy the diaphragm rebuild kit.

Lastly -- do all the vac petcock symptoms disappear completely even with this rigorous routine of rebuilds/hose replacements?

Honestly prevails, Verslagen admits to seeing occasional mild occurrences of high speed fuel stumbling (I keep telling him to keep up with these stumbles and plot his oil consumption against them on his freshly rebuilt motor but he just growls at me)

============================

OK, lets talk about the times the Raptor change out didn't fix the various issues that the newbies drug in behind them when they first arrived.

We are still waiting for that list of newbie items the Raptor change out didn't fix.        Routy says he's got some, so I am sure he will tell us (in good time, give him some time to do his research).    I call on the newbies themselves to speak up if the Raptor didn't fix it -- we got a crow bet on this so this is serious stuff now.

Yes, I went out and shot a big buck crow  and I got him in the freezer should I need to thaw him out and munch on him.

Eventually, I know I am gonna get to take me a bite of musty crow (but so far the crow is intact)

Now, will those that say there is nothing wrong with the stock vacuum actuated petcock agree to sit down with me at the crow table and make the counter bet -- that changing out the vac petcock doesn't fix/help anything?

« Last Edit: 08/19/11 at 12:59:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 23:16:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION<<<<<

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.