Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What do you think about the vac petcock (multivote is OK)

Great technology that needs periodic rebuild
Aggravating thing that needs replacement
Not a potential cause of other issues
Is a potential cause of other issues
I will keep mine forever (rebuilds as needed)
When mine craps out I'll go Raptor
===========
I haven't had to deal with it yet -- no opinion

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 08/18/11 at 10:16:24 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION<<<<< (Read 529 times)
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Re: Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION<<<<<
Reply #15 - 08/17/11 at 23:17:36

done deal, this should be a picnic compared to carb removal
Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION
Reply #16 - 08/17/11 at 23:20:53

I'm saying,... everything past the float needle is wide open to gravity flow of any liquid...
Gas goes everywhere...every direction... all at once...
Vent tubes, air box, intake,.. down the cylinder walls into the crankcase...
Everywhere !...  except, back up into the gas tank... which is securely blocked off by the float needle...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/17/11 at 23:23:28

so what's failed the float valve or the petcock diaphragm?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/17/11 at 23:28:00

I really don't understand how you think cause the diaphragm failed, gas will fill up the intake manifold and then into the bowl and out the vent tubes.  Don't you think the airbox will fill up with gas 1st? and the case and cylinder?  Remember there's only 3 gal's in the tank.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 08/17/11 at 23:29:47

If there's gas in the vacuum line... it came from the backside of the petcock... the rubber vacuum diaphragm in the petcock ruptured, and is letting gas flow past it down the vacuum line into everything... the float system can't stop it, because it only blocks off the fuel line... not the vacuum line...
Big trouble.... uncontrolled gas flow...

... if the intake valve happens to be closed, it will sorta' block flow to the crankcase... gas flows to the air box, 'till the filter is saturated enough to restrict easy flow,... the next path of least resistance is up the vent lines...
Gas will flow until the level in the tank is lower than the last point of escape... ever slower, but not stopping until empty...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/17/11 at 23:34:31

I give up... trying to explain my point.  The only way is to let your guinea pig swap out the petcock and have the same problem.  He's all yours.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 08/17/11 at 23:42:47

Versy,... pour gas down your vacuum line and see what happens...
Are you that confident in your theory?...
I hope not...

Really,... don't... just think it through...
Gas will flow any direction that is lower that the level of gas in the tank...Wink...
This is no longer theory to me,... I've watched it happen... so have many others here...

SHOOT!... HUBBA!...  Change your oil and clean out your air filter and air box before you ride...
At least check them... Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/17/11 at 23:53:14

I'm confident that gas will not come out the vent tubes if the petcock diaphragm fails.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 08/17/11 at 23:56:35

Should I believe you?... or my own lyin' eyes?...

Huh...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/18/11 at 00:02:06

From the horses mouth...
mr.HUBA wrote on 08/14/11 at 09:27:01:
For example last night around 1AM when I was on route to go home, my bike would start up, no gas needed to give, it would idle fine. But as I let it warm up for a bit, id take the bike a a few feet down the road slowlh and it would start slowly dying off unless I gave it a good throttle turning. [during this throttle giving part, this is when gas starts to leak out of o e of the carb vents and it can get up to a barf of gas at time, and it also drips out of the bottom breather tube, i belive that goes to the air box?]

Classic float valve failure.

While the engine is running there's absolutely no way gas will go from the vac line, into the carb bowl and out the vents.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 08/18/11 at 00:08:52

Okay,... after this, I absolutely give up...
Assuming your float theory,... what makes it any different?...
If the gas can't make it's way out the vent tubes with a leaky vac line,... what makes it possible with a leaky float?...
Nonsensical... are there different rules for gravity if the fuel enters the same place from a different direction?...
Huh...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/18/11 at 00:23:06

Vent tubes are connected to the bowl right?
So at anything less then WOT, gas flow into the bowl exceeds gas used and fills up the bowl then out the vent tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 08/18/11 at 00:26:57

Float assemblies tend to stick when they get to the absolute ends of their travel.

Vac petcock illness can fuel starve a bike and the float assembly goes down to the low end of its travel and it can stick in the open position.

Supply gas again with the float stuck open and you can get the gross flooding symptoms mentioned above.

Heck, I had mine stick the other way, in the closed position too.

Same fix in either condition -- whack the bowl 2-3 times with a screwdriver handle and jar the float assembly so it starts moving again and things will tend to even out in the center 'NORMAL FLOAT TRAVEL" position provided you finally have a petcock that always provides gas in quantity when expected.

"Floats getting stuck" goes hand in hand with the float level irregularities of a sick vac petcock showing its stiffness of diaphragm gas starvation arse -- you don't even have to go to the extreme of splitting the vac petcock diaphragm to get some serious flooding.

=============

And yes, I/we think vac petcock irregularities happen to get involved in a lot of "different stuff" -- sad thing is when the Raptors go in the shite stops happening.

(so far anyway Raptors have proven out to be a fix).

Eventually whatever it is won't stop and I'll be wrong and then you can say a hearty

"Aha !! I done told ya so !!"

Odds are it will happen, but right now I'd have to screw up a whole lot of times to equal out the times I've already been right.

Most controversial item that I think that has been done by the vac petcock is damaging engines due to minor galling of the pistons due to lean/overheating and/or lube film dilution -- but we got at least one clean confirmation on that theory now just recently.    We are still waiting for somebody to offer evidence of sudden onset oil consumption, but logically that is just a mild case of the partial seizure that has already been confirmed.

=======================

<Vent tubes are connected to the bowl right?
So at anything less then WOT, gas flow into the bowl exceeds gas used and fills up the bowl then out the vent tubes.>

Let's just say a float sticks in the full down position due to gas starvation emptying out the bowl completely.

(starvation happens, we know the bikes die and give trouble starting back up cause the bowl is EMPTY)

Stuck open float flooding that would be massive enough to fill up the bowl and to go up an additional vertical 3-4 inches worth of vent tubes would also be gushing out of the main jet around the slide needle clearance (and the pilot jet and any other passage between bowl and venturi areas) and mebbe this flow of loose gas could be running down the intake rubber to the head and getting past a cracked open intake valve to the top of the piston and going around and down past the ring gaps and down the cylinder walls into the sump, washing off oil film as it goes ....

(and that's if the engine isn't running, if it IS running and sucking in masses of air to pick all that gas up into overwet torrents of mist and then sucking it all directly into the cylinder, well it gets there quicker and it isn't all going to burn because there isn't enough air to burn it all so the walls get washed down with gas droplets that again dribble down and wind up in the sump ......)

Now let's throw this into "everything all running at once" motion with the vac petcock partially starving things while the float is stuck open trying to flood things -- wow, I think it could get downright confusing ....

Throw in a split in the diaphragm if you really really really think you need to.

.... you already can't sort out which from what and "why" is already floatin' and a bobbin' in the bilges right next to the sorry rascal bad vac petcork which started the whole durn thing to spinning ....

So far Raptors make the bad stuff stop

and so far Raptors haven't been seen to put any gas into any sumps

not yet anyway

(perhaps because floats are staying in the normal zone in the middle rather than going to the ends of travel all the time)

But we are all looking for it, you me Routy Verslagen and Serobot and everybody else ....

« Last Edit: 08/18/11 at 03:26:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #28 - 08/18/11 at 05:41:28

For some strange reason, I suddenly feel compelled to run (not walk) and purchase me one of them there Raptor Petcocks. Surely this will fix all that ails my poor bike?

Shocked

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #29 - 08/18/11 at 06:13:36

Y'all are making this way to hard.

PLUG the vacuum line & turn the petcock to PRIME. If you still get fuel from the vent tubes, the problem is a leaking needle & seat. If you no longer get fuel out the vents, the problem is the petcock leaking from the vacuum line. Cool

Of course there could be more than one problem occuring at the same time, but that is unlikely. Shocked

HTH. Wink

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 01:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Time indeed. . . QUESTION<<<<<

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.