gas 95 vs 100 (Read 152 times)
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
gas 95 vs 100
08/17/11 at 03:47:34

Hi!

Did anybody try to use gas with the octanic number 100 ? I've allways used 95 and i was wondering if the 100 one makes any difference in power. and, is it safe to use ? (i think the recommended one in the manual is 95).
Thanks!

1998 Suzuki Savage.
maephisto marius.mc1 my_sky_mc   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: gas 95 vs 100
Reply #1 - 08/17/11 at 05:12:40

It makes you go faster by lightening your wallet more.

There's a general misunderstanding about octane. It doesn't contain special power boosting ingredients. It exists to keep high performance, high compression engines from damaging themselves. They need higher octane gas in order to prevent pre-detonation. Compressing a substance creates heat. The high compression in some engines can cause enough heat to make the gasoline ignite before the spark fires, which is not good. Octane helps prevent pre-detonation by making the gasoline burn slower. Putting high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need it accomplishes nothing but making oil companies richer. The exception, though, is on modern fuel injected, digitally controlled engines with knock sensors that can advance and retard the ignition to the threshold of pre-detonation, yielding a wee bit more power.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 06:24:28

I stick with 87 octane for my 07. I found that it gets less MPG and knocks bad if I use higher octane gas. Each bike is a little different and it also depends on where you live (altitude/humidity) on what octane is to use.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 08/17/11 at 06:41:14

Motobuddha does not tergiversate.

As he maintains, more octane does not mean more power.  Unless you have a detonation (pinging problem) on regular grade gas, it usually means less power.

The best idea is to use what the manual says to use.  Using a higher octane pleases only the oil companies.

One comment on Moto's statement, "The exception, though, is on modern fuel injected, digitally controlled engines with knock sensors that can advance and retard the ignition to the threshold of pre-detonation, yielding a wee bit more power."  This is only true if the car were designed for the higher octane fuel.  
 -- IOW, my wife's SUV will not make any more power because the knock sensors sense a better capability for suppression of detonation.  It doesn't detonate on 87, so it won't advance the spark if she puts 100 octane in it.  
 -- His point applies to cars that are supposed to use premium, like mine.  If I put 87 in it, the sensors and computers will readjust timing and mixtures, etc., to do the best it can with that fuel.  A couple of times I have had to put in some 87 octane -- it noticeably decreases power, and, while I only have one data point, it decreases mileage.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BillF6531
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reply #4 - 08/17/11 at 12:42:56

You seldom hear mild detonation on newer vehicles. If you have a scan tool, hook it up to your wife's SUV and read the timing and knock learn factor while driving on the highway using cruise at 60 mph. Then fill up with premium, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, and then repeat the test. I believe that you will find higher timing and a lower knock learn factor. Higher timing at cruising speed equates to better fuel mileage. But just to be clear - higher octane fuel in our bikes will make zero difference, since the timing is fixed / static.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Pearl White <=== a real beauty!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 08/18/11 at 03:33:36

BillF6531 wrote on 08/17/11 at 12:42:56:
You seldom hear mild detonation on newer vehicles. If you have a scan tool, hook it up to your wife's SUV and read the timing and knock learn factor while driving on the highway using cruise at 60 mph. Then fill up with premium, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, and then repeat the test. I believe that you will find higher timing and a lower knock learn factor. Higher timing at cruising speed equates to better fuel mileage. But just to be clear - higher octane fuel in our bikes will make zero difference, since the timing is fixed / static.

Since hers was made in 1998, I doubt it is that smart.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BillF6531
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reply #6 - 08/18/11 at 08:31:00

I had a 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.4 litre V6 4x4, and the scan tool would show more timing with premium fuel, but it made no fuel mileage difference.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Pearl White <=== a real beauty!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas 95 vs 100

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.