Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear axle left or right? (Read 100 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
rear axle left or right?
08/16/11 at 10:40:17

who can confirm the direction that the rear axle is installed? from left to right like this diagram or right to left?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: rear axle left or right?
Reply #1 - 08/16/11 at 10:53:02

My 06 goes in on the brake side,the nut on the other side.Bought new.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/16/11 at 11:00:14

It doesn't matter.  The axle does not have a left/right alignment.  It is just a long bolt.
Which ever works easiest for the person putting it in.
On one side you get to cuss the brake.  On the other side you get to cuss the belt pulley.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/16/11 at 11:03:21

I can remember this question asked before, and I believe it was determined it didn't make any difference.
And someone posted a similar illustration for me when I got my spacers tangled, and I believe it showed R to L.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #4 - 08/16/11 at 11:21:16

i am beginning to think right to left is normal - i googled images of the bike and the pics with the best resolution do appear to show the axle going to right to left.......now with that said and the cuss this or cuss that option - I think it would be easier to go left to right and capture the recessed spacer on the drive hub first go through the wheel and start out the brake hub and capture the right side spacer which does not recess in to either the brake or the frame.......it sounds easier to me....oh and the owners manual shows a nut on both sides.

</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/16/11 at 11:24:03

I do it as pictured.
My trapp makes it difficult to install the other way.

Now why would it be installed one way or the other?
I can only think of 2 possible failures that would impact the orientation on the axle.
Wheel bearing failure, which if the axle was installed R to L, would grap the axle and spin it to tighten the nut.  Untill it was so tight that it shot off accross 8 lanes of traffic.   Cool
Or running it up against a curb causing the nut to spin off.  Mechanically possible with it mounted R to L, but highly unlikely.

With all the members we have world wide, I can only recall 1 or 2 that have even worried about their wheel bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/16/11 at 15:19:00

Yes the recessed spacer on the left side makes it a challenge when going from right to left. But it can work, I have done it 3 times and somehow managed to get it in there. I think the trick is to have the spacer in the recessed area when you swing the wheel in there. It's Very difficult to get it in there after the fact. Like trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/16/11 at 18:44:48

When I put the back wheel back on, I use a piece of 1/2" copper pipe first to fiddle everything in there. It fits almost snug, but not as snug as the axle. I stick it in from the brake side, first the adjuster, then the spacer. Then I take the wheel with the brake and the spacer on the other side and hold it in place and push the pipe all the way through to the other spacer, place the other adjuster and push the pipe all the way through. Now the thing is, because the pipe is a little smaller, it makes it waaaay easier to align everything, because the axle needs to forced through harder, which makes the whole job more strenuous, with having to hold everything up and forcing the axle through at the same time.
After that, I take the axle and push the copper pipe out the other side with very little strain and bolt everything up.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #8 - 08/17/11 at 05:47:47

i did left to right -made the re-install seem easier - whether ornot it actually wass ??? had the 3rd & 4th hands as well - the welded brake drum held up fine and rides fine - the new larger rear tire does seem to quicken the steering a tad.....I will report back if there are any issues with the left to right axle as time and miles go by.

</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:41:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear axle left or right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.