Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple! (Read 467 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple!
08/16/11 at 05:34:43

Why - Is it that a thing that should be relatively simple turns in to the project from hell!.......I know a bunch of you guys have pulled the rear wheel off and change the tire or done the rear brakes and put it all back together without a single little problem......i unfortunately have not been so lucky......first the bag bracket bolt eats the new tire - so I have to take it all apart to get to the bolts and re-engineer the bracket mounting and install carriage bolts to provide max clearance for the tire (140/90)......then I try to install the tire by myself and find i need at least a 3rd hand  but really a 3rd & 4th hand.......so last night 4 days after the tires comes off the brake hub arm fractures while trying to install the tire Undecided "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all".......today my welding buddy is going to try to repair the busted brake drum and tonight i plan to try for the 4th time with help to get the rear tire back on the bike, bags re-installed, exhaust back on it and hopefully be able to get back riding tomorrow......I wonder what the odds makers in Vegas would say about the likely-hood that i get r done today is? 1000 to 1 against...... Angry Embarrassed

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Why!?
Reply #1 - 08/16/11 at 06:08:14

weracerc,
I feel for you. I just did a rear replacement, and didn't have much trouble, except I tried to get my spacers mixed up for a bit.
But from your post, and against what others have said, I am glad I chose not to go w/ the -90.

Using my Van to break down the bead, the old tire came off relatively easy, using tire irons....along w/ a rubber tire hammer and silicone for getting the last bead off.

The new dunlop was a lot heavier tire, and gave me a little challenge, but using my right foot only and the rubber hammer,....(no tire irons) and lotsa spray silicone, it went on quite well,......after I adheasive siliconed the spoke strip in place. But I had a little advantage in that I was working in a truck tire shop when I was 15 yrs old,......I learned a lot, and didn't forget it.
I would never asvise anyone w/o experience to change a MC tire themselves !
The broken brake arm,.....I just don't understand that, as the complete brake hub assy is removed first thing.

On edit, the belt hub fell out of the wheel,.....tried to hurt my foot !! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple!
Reply #2 - 08/16/11 at 06:14:36

yep the brake hub arm snapped in to two peices - it got twisted (torqued too much by my 'assistant" who got frustrated that the wheel was not going in easily and i was on the left side trying to hold the large spacer in place as the wheel was lifted on to the brake hub slot......just one thing after another.....going to re-position the bike on the lift tonight and try to make sure there are as few hopefully no obstructions to getting the wheel in quickly and efficiently.

</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/16/11 at 06:19:47

I hear ya,......
maybe not in your case, but some times......like this one for sure, the less help I have the better I like it.  Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #4 - 08/16/11 at 06:24:22

i hear people say that alot - i used to be more mechanically indepent but stupid things from youth have caught up to me and my physical ability to use grasp, squeeze, hold, manipulate, work with hand tools etc has greatly deminished.......anyone who has done this by themselves my hat is off to you....anyone who has fought this trying to do it by themselve but figured out a better way i'd sure like to know what that better way is.

</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/16/11 at 06:28:35

Am I right in thinking that the broken side is the "slack" side when braking ? If so, and if welding the alloy is hard to come by, a couple hose clamps mite work till a better way comes along ??

Rich
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 08/16/11 at 06:39:07

yep the bottom 1/2 is broke off - my TIG welding genious here at work thinks he can get it solid becase of all the webbing structure behind the broken area....I ordered a replacement last night $25 delivered ebay from a 1997 with right at 11K miles (mine 96 with 11K)....it will be here in less than a week - but if it can be welded/repaired and SAFE i will try it.

hold on a minute - i may have just figured out part of my problem - this drawing shows the axle entering from the left side - when we took it apart the axle was coming in from the right side and that is how we have been trying to re-install it........left enter axle will hold that spacer and prevent the wheel from torquing on the brake hub/frame attachment point.......i suppose who ever took the wheel off to put the last tire on it before i got the bike put the axle in from the wrong side.

</div
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #7 - 08/16/11 at 09:50:20

from this:

to this:

</div
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/16/11 at 09:58:33

Routy's point about the repaired side being the "slack" or unstressed side during braking, would seem to go along with this repair nicely.  Looks a little cobby, but if the penetration is good, it ought to hold.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #9 - 08/16/11 at 10:16:33

i'll take cobby - as long as it is stout too - it is not in a very visible location - i am going to take the wire wheel to it and clean it up a tad before re-installing it.......with the axle going left to right.

</div
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/16/11 at 10:51:00

Just for information,.....the axle nut is on the left side of mine, which I assumed was original, but being used w/ 3K miles, it maybe isn't.
But it seemed to work ok that way.

I at first would think it had to be a weak spot in the casting to break like that, but now I see that if the wheel was way back so that just a small part of the frame was in the casting, and then the wheel suddenly dropped, it would then have lotsa leverage to spread that casting apart. Bummer at best !

Rich
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #11 - 08/16/11 at 13:32:44

Routy,  I just pulled my rear wheel a few weeks ago for a tire change and the axle nut was on the left side of mine as well.  I have an 07 too.  When I looked at the Clymer manual, I noticed the diagram showed the opposite, but I put it back together the way it was before I took it apart and have been running it that way w/o problems.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/16/11 at 13:42:45

The part that broke shouldnt be in the wheel during tire change,,

I thot I had the Big Ooops award for putting a tire on,, I let a tire spoon get away & it hit me end on in the forehead when it came out of the rim,, & yes, it made a weird sound & I did some bleeding, while I laffed..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 08/16/11 at 14:22:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/16/11 at 13:42:45:
The part that broke shouldnt be in the wheel during tire change,,

I thot I had the Big Ooops award for putting a tire on,, I let a tire spoon get away & it hit me end on in the forehead when it came out of the rim,, & yes, it made a weird sound & I did some bleeding, while I laffed..

Wish you woulda' had video of that!!   Smiley Wink Grin Roll Eyes Grin Grin

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/16/11 at 14:55:39

My rear axle also goes in from the right, nut on the left. The worst part putting it back together for me was getting that left side spacer to fit in there and line up with the hole. A second person helping does make it easier, as long as he holds his temper in check.

« Last Edit: 08/16/11 at 18:25:10 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.