Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple! (Read 467 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple!
Reply #15 - 08/16/11 at 17:24:12

weracerc wrote on 08/16/11 at 06:24:22:
i hear people say that alot - i used to be more mechanically indepent but stupid things from youth have caught up to me and my physical ability to use grasp, squeeze, hold, manipulate, work with hand tools etc has greatly deminished.......anyone who has done this by themselves my hat is off to you....anyone who has fought this trying to do it by themselve but figured out a better way i'd sure like to know what that better way is.

I feel your pain, man. One thing getting old and stiff and crippled up has helped me with is patience. Plus I always liked to work alone, even when surrounded by other people. Because of that, I have learned to do things that require three hands. I just aquired a 1976 XL 75 Honda as a project bike. 75. NOT 750. Now you you can feel my pain and test my patience against yours.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #16 - 08/17/11 at 06:43:22

Too bad I didn't read this earlier. I have an entire rear brake assembly including shoes just sitting here. If your ebay purchase doesn't pan out, let me know. You can have it for the price of shipping.

FSO
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #17 - 08/17/11 at 08:22:10

the welded brake drum held up fine on the install and initial ride - 4 hands got r done - axle left to right......."on the road again, cant wait get on the road again!"

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 08/17/11 at 08:34:36

weracerc wrote on 08/17/11 at 08:22:10:
the welded brake drum held up fine on the install and initial ride - 4 hands got r done - axle left to right......."on the road again, cant wait get on the road again!"

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 08/17/11 at 08:41:20

Heh heh.  I bet weracerc is going to wait until the next tire change to swap out the hub.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #20 - 08/17/11 at 09:39:57

you would be correct - hopefully 6-8K miles.......maybe even get to 20K total now 11,050 miles.........................even though i got r done i dont want to get r done again anytime soon.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 08/18/11 at 03:45:15

I think the reason the repair is working so well is because you changed the title of this thread from "Why" to "Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple!"

tee hee

Wink      Grin      Cool      Roll Eyes      Smiley

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 08/18/11 at 07:23:15

Boule’tard wrote on 08/17/11 at 08:41:20:
Heh heh.  I bet weracerc is going to wait until the next tire change to swap out the hub.

I'd bet on that too !

But I'm not sure I would have welded it back on in the first place. I mean,....how often do you need the rear brake in reverse ?? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #23 - 08/18/11 at 07:34:16

I don't think it is there for reverse braking as much as holding the hub in one place.  If the brake was applied while rolling backward (not unheard of when scooting a bike around or on a hill)  then the hub could rotate out of position, then when the brake was applied in the forward situation again, the unbroken tab would get slammed and possibly broken.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #24 - 08/18/11 at 07:51:12

Boofer wrote on 08/16/11 at 17:24:12:
weracerc wrote on 08/16/11 at 06:24:22:
i hear people say that alot - i used to be more mechanically indepent but stupid things from youth have caught up to me and my physical ability to use grasp, squeeze, hold, manipulate, work with hand tools etc has greatly deminished.......anyone who has done this by themselves my hat is off to you....anyone who has fought this trying to do it by themselve but figured out a better way i'd sure like to know what that better way is.

I just aquired a 1976 XL 75 Honda as a project bike. 75. NOT 750. Now you you can feel my pain and test my patience against yours.  Grin

Aw man,...!! Not an XL75,....! I bought a brand new one,...carried it everywhere on the back of my MH,.....wish I still had it ! I got in more trouble on that bike than any other one I ever had. It seemed that everywhere I went, I would run into Ranger Rick.....tellin me I wasn't allowed to be there ! A really neat lil bike it was !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #25 - 08/21/11 at 22:31:51

I think I will get mine installed professionally.  I've experienced enough F*$@! moments when I was bobbing my S40.  I am pretty happy with it now, and don't need drama.

Local shop does the change and I can even get the tires shipped directly from internet shop.

I think about $75 for both tires...

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 08/22/11 at 04:56:10

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 08/21/11 at 22:31:51:
I think I will get mine installed professionally.  I've experienced enough F*$@! moments when I was bobbing my S40.  I am pretty happy with it now, and don't need drama.

Local shop does the change and I can even get the tires shipped directly from internet shop.

I think about $75 for both tires...

Possibly not a bad decision, depending on your key word here,...."professionally"
If you had said "shop", I would have been tempted to tell some stories about the inexperienced kids that some shops hire to work
on my stuff Angry

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 08/22/11 at 04:59:44

Boule’tard wrote on 08/18/11 at 07:34:16:
I don't think it is there for reverse braking as much as holding the hub in one place.  If the brake was applied while rolling backward (not unheard of when scooting a bike around or on a hill)  then the hub could rotate out of position, then when the brake was applied in the forward situation again, the unbroken tab would get slammed and possibly broken.

Yep, I knew that,.....maybe you missed the hose clamp part Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:20:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Tire Change - not so freakin simple!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.