Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Dead Years? (Read 249 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Dead Years?
08/15/11 at 13:08:00

I know the savage started in 86 i went to look at one at the time, my question is what were the dead years when no 650s were built.  Will 2012 or 13 be the end again?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: The Dead Years?
Reply #1 - 08/15/11 at 13:10:26

90 to 94 it was still sold elsewhere, just not USA
who knows... you gotta crystal ball?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/15/11 at 18:04:01

Part of the dead years scenario was a heck of a deal that Suzuki put out in 1989/90 time frame on their large warehouse stocks of Savages to move the excess inventory into the dealer's warehouses.  

(Suzuki had overproduced the bike somewhat and got caught out by the real estate bust and oil embargo that caused economic stagnation for a few years in the US)

In 1991-1993 you could buy the bikes "last year's model" new for a very nice price as the dealers got pressured into buying up a stock of bikes at the reduced prices.   Suzuki America did not import any from Japan during the glut years, they just facilitated moving inventory from dealer to dealer as needed.

When the bike came back into new production, it had some cosmetic shifts and a greatly reduced number of them were offered -- you put in your dealer order in the winter and your whole stock for the year was delivered in the spring and that was it for the year.   This was an intentional decision by Suzuki to keep the model's base price up as they were greatly discounted before due to excess stocks sitting around for years and years.    

The Savage was their low end price point bike and they also didn't want it stealing sales from the higher margin bikes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 08/15/11 at 18:13:21

Suzuki didn't ship but four models of motor cycles in 2010 if I remember what my dealer said. The economy kept them from going all out with new designs. I think 2011 is more or less a "normal" year. They may lay back and see what the market is for a FI Savage. Plenty left around, anyway, but I would like to see it go on and on like ours have.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/16/11 at 08:57:33

We may be headed for another set of "dead years" because the demand for scoots is way down right now .... world wide recession and all.

Plus, Suzuki will need some time to fuel inject everything they plan to keep for 2013, plus they need to rationalize their end game of the Suzuki/Kawasaki alliance non-merger that was formed in 2001 and ended in 2006 with some of the mixed bag inventory still hanging around in their sales pipelines clogging up the works.

Plus they need to sell off some excess inventory of the carburetor scoots as "last year's model".    Demand is there for smaller 250 scoots & bigger 900 & up scoots (middle size 650 scoots not so much).

The Savage is a niche bike, a  old fart newbie girly bike that has nothing really much going for it until it gets breathed on by our little bag of tricks.  

Once properly tweeked, a Savage is the terror of the mountain roads -- perfectly suited to roads that top out at 70-80 mph in the longest straight aways and that need some fast recovery heavy torque hp every stinkin'curvy-arsed where else.

I could see the FI'd 650 DR dirt bike engine eventually showing up in the Savage frame, or the DR FI package mebbe showing up on the Savage engine.  

Suzuki needs a short person scoot of some sort or they are throwing away market share (so we will trust they keep something in the line to do this job).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/16/11 at 10:04:47

So 90-94 the bike was still being sold over seas?

I remenber seeing the first one in 86 at the local ohio dealer priced at $1999  I would buy a new one today for that!!!  I think this bikes long production run and simple design has made the company alot of money!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/16/11 at 20:31:23

It is very possible that due to our restrictive new laws Suzuki continues to sell the carburetor based scoots overseas and officially has nothing at all to fill all the 2012 and 2013 niches in the USA other than some existing stocks of  warehoused 2011 year model bikes.  

Why?  

Special FI models just for a very small 2012-2013 USA "recession year" market would be very costly to make in such small numbers.

It might be cheaper to have suddenly found some existing warehouse stocks of 2011 carburetor equipped bikes that were brought in "grandfathered" and simply do nothing else than that for a few years until there is a more active market to make it all worth while .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/17/11 at 05:41:51

Oldfeller, triunph did that back in the 70s to avoid some regulation there were no 1980 models. then a new 81 model appeared.  

The down side of that if Suzuki does FI the S40 there would be lots of hard to sell bikes sitting around.

For a big company adding FI to an existing big single should be an easy inexpensive mod. They have plenty of FI experience and the TU 250 already has FI.

« Last Edit: 08/17/11 at 09:14:30 by Drifter »  
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #8 - 08/17/11 at 06:32:32

Interesting thread. So, if they keep making them they will have to switch to fuel injected?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/17/11 at 09:17:38

SoE, 2012 is the last of the carbed street bikes they wont meet the 2013 EPA regs so either kill the S40 or add FI........ Undecided

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/17/11 at 11:58:08

Or go on quietly selling the 2011 carbed models from "existing" warehouse stocks as "the only available units".

You bring up a good point -- if they don't totally sell off the carbed models first and and they do bring out an FI model (even on paper with no US inventory on hand) then they are gonna have to discount the carbed model even more significantly.

I'm betting on a couple of dead years to flush out all existing inventory -- this way the carbed 2011's sell at a premium instead of a big discount ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #11 - 08/18/11 at 08:07:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/17/11 at 11:58:08:
I'm betting on a couple of dead years to flush out all existing inventory -- this way the carbed 2011's sell at a premium instead of a big discount ....

I bet you're right.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 05:24:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Dead Years?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.