update to tear down (Read 451 times)
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Re: update to tear down
Reply #15 - 08/26/11 at 19:09:51

SO, I got the raptor installed today.  followed the write up on here of what to do.  the bike seems to do a little better in first and second gear.  seems to have a little more pick up, however no matter how quickly i shift, it backfires between 1st and second, and second and third.  third gear is still the same, and it still hesitates in 4th gear when i get to around 57 mph.  it feels like it tries to cut off, then gets power back and then gone again.  it does this until i let off of the throttle and get back to a steady 55.  I didnt mess with it anymore tonight cause i  was kind of bummed that it really didnt seem to do much.  
my neighbor who helped me with the head gasket, told me to ask if it could be 180 degrees out of time?  neither of us really want to pull this motor back out, but i am really not sure what else to do?
any thoughts, or suggestions on what else to try?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 08/26/11 at 19:19:51

Welcome to the list -- you have at this point totally torn your carb apart and totally torn your engine apart.   One isn't put back together properly.

You do not have petcock confusion -- you took that completely off the table with the Raptor.   Your symptoms have unfuzzy edges now.

Next step is to take the carb apart again and following your Clymers manual check every single element in it for incorrect assembly, missing pieces and correct float level setting.  

Pay special attention to that float assembly, it should move freely from top to bottom and never have any spot where it wants to hang up.   The gas needle valve needs to be in good shape too (cut you blowing on the fuel input hose off cleanly when the bowl is raised to the CORRECT float bowl cut off point that you are going to adjust when you do the rebuild)

Why carb first?  Because an engine tear down is expensive ($20 gaskets and such) and you took your carb apart too.  

Do the simpler, less expensive carb part first.

=======================

Question:    did your K&N stop dripping gasoline?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/26/11 at 19:37:31

jasonwm wrote on 08/26/11 at 19:09:51:
my neighbor who helped me with the head gasket, told me to ask if it could be 180 degrees out of time?

The cam happy timed to one TDC or the other.  As long as the piston was up at TDC and the marks were horizontal with the pin was up and to the right just like the pictures, you should be good.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 08/27/11 at 06:21:44

Its really really hard to refrain, but if I can't give any helpful comments, I won't give any at all, Roll Eyes
except to say it seened like a valve timing problem right fron the git go.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #19 - 09/08/11 at 13:27:35

havent worked on the bike in about two weeks.  the raptor was leaking so i took it back out and got new rubber washers and that fixed that.
new problem.  come to find out that i am 31 with an almost fully blocked artery.  i was playing with my kid and had what the doctors said was a "mini heart attack.  I have no ins through work, so to cover a tiny portion of the bills i have decided to sell what was turning out to be a pretty cool little project.  if it doesnt sell, you guys will probably see me back on here bugging all of you again about "what to do next"  god willing that is.  thanks for everyones help.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 10/02/11 at 06:00:04

jasonwm wrote on 09/08/11 at 13:27:35:
havent worked on the bike in about two weeks.  the raptor was leaking so i took it back out and got new rubber washers and that fixed that.
new problem.  come to find out that i am 31 with an almost fully blocked artery.  i was playing with my kid and had what the doctors said was a "mini heart attack.  I have no ins through work, so to cover a tiny portion of the bills i have decided to sell what was turning out to be a pretty cool little project.  if it doesnt sell, you guys will probably see me back on here bugging all of you again about "what to do next"  god willing that is.  thanks for everyones help.  

Are you alive?  If so, how are we doing?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 10/02/11 at 10:10:10

31 years old & blocked arteries? HOW??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › update to tear down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.