update to tear down (Read 451 times)
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
update to tear down
08/15/11 at 07:45:18

the motor is back in and she fired right up.  new bars, exhaust, primered black, lowered, new rear turn signals, more to come.

IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Re: update to tear down
Reply #1 - 08/15/11 at 07:46:45

also did forward controls.  still figuring out spring seat, ordered k and n filter, and looking for new rear light still.  put led's in liscense plate for leagality pruposes.

IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #2 - 08/15/11 at 07:48:38

by the way, thanks for everyones help with all of the questions i have had.

IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #3 - 08/16/11 at 07:46:06

tearing down again, bike died on me last night.  it was a nice 1/2 mile push.  and no nuts, it was up hill in the rain.  just my luck.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 08/16/11 at 08:09:53

Bikes almost NEVER die leaving the rider with a downhill roll....it is a built in engineering feature. Cheesy  The beast looks good and since it was running, unless you heard a clunk it probably will be an easy fix..best of luck.

IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #5 - 08/16/11 at 09:24:28

no, no clunks.  I think my air/fuel is still not right.  

if my timing was off just a little bit, would that keep it from running? i am pretty positive we got tdc when putting the chain back in.  when i coasted with the clutch in, or was in nuetral, i would have to keep on the gas a little to keep it running, or it would stall   it kept wanting to die.  when stopped at idle, it would be fine.  \

any suggestions on what i should be looking for?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/16/11 at 09:40:01

Maybe its because when you coast air is passing by the carb,At idle it isn't.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #7 - 08/18/11 at 18:31:25

got the k and n cone filter on today, and slow charged the battery for a few hours.  it started right up for me.  It idled pretty good.  needs adjusted a little bit.  i hit the throttle slow and fast and it didnt seem to bog out or want to die on me.  i am hoping to be able to ride this weekend, have only been on it twice this summer.

IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
k and n filter dripping gas
Reply #8 - 08/20/11 at 10:06:47

so i got the bike running, but after a 20 minute ride, the new k and n filter is dripping gas.  what do i need to do, what needs adjusted.  thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: k and n filter dripping gas
Reply #9 - 08/20/11 at 10:09:05

Here we go again... Grin Grin Grin...

How to check your petcock,...
... if it's not the petcock,... tap the float bowl with the plastic end of a screwdriver.... see if that releases your stuck floats...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/20/11 at 11:17:08

Jason, w/o a complete update of what your problems were, no ones going to able to give you good advise.  You hadn't fixed your original problem, I recommend you continue with the original post.

The carb will sometimes spit back some gas at low rpm's.
So it may be that your rpm's are set to low.

Is it a lot of gas?
When do you notice it?
How's the bike running otherwise?

WWW   IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #11 - 08/22/11 at 09:54:30

sorry for the slow responses.  my computer doesnt always work at home.
here is what is happening.
bike starts right up.  idles good.  when driving slow, no issues.  if i am pulling out onto a highway, and need to accelerate quick, i have issues.  i have to shift quick through first and second or it feels like it wants to bog out.  3rd gear is fine.  when in fourth gear, i am ok to 55mph.  if i try to give more throttle/gas to go faster, it will backfire with the added throttle and begin to miss, so i have to let off.  
I tested my pet thingy and it seemed ok.  floats arent stuck in carb.  removed brass cap and tried adjusting that.  put in  a new plug.  not sure what else to check.
It was a good bit of gas.  the k and n cone was only on for a day and it was pretty saturated.
someone said that maybe i am losing spark at higher rpms when the motor is working harder.  Im really not too sure on what to do from here.
I ordered a raptor petcock for it.  should be here tuesday.  
could this be a timing issue?  if it is off a tooth or two, would the bike even run?  before pulling the motor, i could normally get up to around 70.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/22/11 at 10:16:29

jasonwm wrote on 08/22/11 at 09:54:30:
 when in fourth gear, i am ok to 55mph.  if i try to give more throttle/gas to go faster, it will backfire with the added throttle and begin to miss, so i have to let off.  
...could this be a timing issue?  if it is off a tooth or two, would the bike even run?  before pulling the motor, i could normally get up to around 70.  

I think that's it, your timing chain is one tooth off.  I think what happens is that the intake closes late.  At 55 in the big gear (assuming you have a 4speed), the timing advance finally gets ahead of the intake closure.  2nd clue is the gas spitting out the carb.  But even when it timed right this is not too uncommon.

So my friend you need to tear it down again.  Here's what you need to do to get it right.  With the crank on TDC, on the front side the timing chain has to be taught, if you have a new chain the marks on the cam will be dead nuts horizontal.  if you have a used chain, the front mark will be raised slightly.  This is cause of chain stretch.  No one's gonna call you a pervert if you play with your chain a bit, so move it till it's below horizontal than move it back one tooth.  Put all the guides on and tensioner, rotate by hand and check it again.

Good luck.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/22/11 at 13:25:54

Jason,

How is the battle going?   Verslagen has made sure everyone on the list is routying for you now, and that we are all paying attention !!!

Smiley

If you timing was off (slipped a tooth when you put it back together) it would run like shite all the time, but worse the faster you went.  

BTW I don't really think your timing is off right now, I think you may be fighting a petcock issue and a resulting stuck float.

The following pics show what is relatively normal depending on normal chain wear and which side of the chain guides are actually taking up the majority of the slack.  If you got significantly more offset than this (a whole link's worth) then you got a slipped chain/tooth situation.   Slipping a cam chain is very very rare, as is putting it in wrong is very rare as folks are careful to check it and recheck it before buttoning up the bike.

I am also interested in hearing about your Raptor once you get it and get it put in place.    You having a gas dripping K&N filter isn't normal, you know.  

Stumbling/losing power at around 55 mph and up is a known vac petcock failure symptom, you know that, right?   The petcock can run your float bowl almost empty and your float can get stuck at the bottom of its travel (gas stuck OPEN).  This jives with your dripping K&N ....

Have you tried the trick about whacking your float bowl 2-3 times with a screw driver handle?   It is a quick/easy/free way of freeing up a stuck float in the float bowl, an issue I had several times while I was fighting my own vac petcock wars back early last year.   Certainly worth trying, doesn't cost any money or time ....

Smiley   (whacking the bowl may need to be done at every new set of issues that you have just to eliminate the easy/free stuff)  

When my Raptor went in, I did the whacks one more time to get the bike running right (float was still stuck from last set of vac petcock attacks)  then I stopped having to do it as I stopped having the various vac petcock symptoms and things just ran right from then on.

Do keep us all up to date as you fight out all these issues -- we are all interested and we are routying for you !!

« Last Edit: 08/26/11 at 19:25:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #14 - 08/22/11 at 15:54:59

Thanks for all of the tips and tricks from everyone.  I did try tapping/hitting the bottom of the carb to free it up.  I also took it apart to check out the inside.  Everything moved freely, though it was my first time opening a carb.  I should get the raptor tomorrow or Wednesday.  I will let you guys know how it works out.  
I feel like I'm losing the battle right now with it, but not throwing the towel in on the war yet.  I should have an update on Wednesday or Thursday.  Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:41:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › update to tear down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.