Newbie questions (Read 201 times)
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Newbie questions
08/14/11 at 06:44:47

Not only am I new to the site, I am new to Savage's as I bought my first motorcycle, a 1997 650 with 6100 miles yesterday. I have a couple questions , first the bike was a stolen recovery. Whoever stole it cut out the ignition switch and replaced it with a rocker switch. I want to replace it back to original for security reasons but I cant seem to find where the original ignition switch mount should be. Secondly, I have read about the tool box.  Is this mounted on the end of the battery box? I have a chrome battery box with a red plate on the end to keep the battery in but nothing else. Ebay have several battery boxes but none with the tool box. The thiefs also pried open the lock on the gas cap. I need to replace it and haven't had any luck on Ebay. Thanks for any help, Brian

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Newbie questions
Reply #1 - 08/14/11 at 07:06:43

You need to buy some parts from someone who is breaking up a bike.  Go to the Marketplace and see what is available.   Do not try to buy new parts -- way too expensive.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/15/11 at 00:51:32

Also keep your eye on ebay. Sometimes places get a wreck and part it completely out on ebay and you can get things super cheap. I got my new kickstand that way. Paid 9 bucks for it. A week later I saw one for 5 that was just as nice. So keep your eyes there for some things.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 08/15/11 at 08:37:12

Pinwall Cycle Parts is a great Ebay source for used parts.  They seem to love to tear down Savages...  They usually post plenty of pics and sometimes videos of the bike running prior to teardown. Usually decent prices too.

http://myworld.ebay.com/pinwall_cycle_parts/

http://shop.ebay.com/pinwall_cycle_parts/m.html?_nkw=ls650&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_o...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 08/15/11 at 13:11:54

IF you want to keep your keychain small, you can get from one salvage bike the ignition assembly, the fuel cap, the tool box cover, and the helmet holder which should all be keyed alike.  The second key is for the front fork lock and is always different.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 08/15/11 at 17:44:33

serenity3743 wrote on 08/15/11 at 13:11:54:
IF you want to keep your keychain small, you can get from one salvage bike the ignition assembly, the fuel cap, the tool box cover, and the helmet holder which should all be keyed alike.  The second key is for the front fork lock and is always different.

Serenity, the big key chain is a sign of the mature, dignified rider.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #6 - 08/15/11 at 18:50:31

Where should the ignition switch be located? Whoever stole the bike wired in a rocker switch and mounted it in front of the left rear shock.

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/15/11 at 20:32:49

snowdevil wrote on 08/15/11 at 18:50:31:
Where should the ignition switch be located? Whoever stole the bike wired in a rocker switch and mounted it in front of the left rear shock.  

That's where the ig switch goes.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #8 - 08/16/11 at 05:00:06

Boofer wrote on 08/15/11 at 17:44:33:
serenity3743 wrote on 08/15/11 at 13:11:54:

Serenity, the big key chain is a sign of the mature, dignified rider.  Grin

Hence, mine is small! Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 08/16/11 at 19:19:42

Grin Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.