Left lights on. (Read 246 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Left lights on.
08/13/11 at 06:12:33

I left my key in the ignition with the ignition on for 2 1/2 hrs yesterday.
Bike wouldn't start. Let it sit for 15 min- started right up. Set it to fast idle for 20 min and shut it down. Did I do any damage? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Left lights on.
Reply #1 - 08/13/11 at 06:40:17

Every time you flatten a battery and recharge it, its useful lifetime is shortened, and it's max voltage and capacity is reduced.  Low voltage allows sulfate coating to build on the plates and it's not removed by recharging.

If the battery still starts the bike then keep using it.  When you eventually have trouble starting, then you can bump-start your way home and order a new battery.

On a hot day I don't want to fast-idle my air-cooled bike.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/13/11 at 06:40:26

You may need a new battery sooner than you would have. From what I've read, the battery doesn't really get "charged" much while the bike is running. And batteries typically only last 2-3 years, depending.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/13/11 at 06:45:30

I promise you did not do any note worthy damage in 2.5 hrs.
Besides that, if it started in 15 minutes of setting, the battery was NOT flattened.
But, by all means, fully charge it, either by riding for 4 hrs, or preferably a smart charger overnite.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/13/11 at 07:07:09

Ive left mine on , not quite that long,but for more than an hour,, & never saw any consequences from it. If youre really wanting to wring every minute of life outta that thing, keep an eye on the water level & hit it with a float charger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 08/13/11 at 07:15:06

Routy wrote on 08/13/11 at 06:45:30:
Besides that, if it started in 15 minutes of setting, the battery was NOT flattened.
But, by all means, fully charge it, either by riding for 4 hrs, or preferably a smart charger overnite.

Four Hours? Really? Continuous?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/13/11 at 07:25:30

arteacher wrote on 08/13/11 at 07:15:06:

To be safe,......but hard to say really. As was said, there isn't all that much charging going to the battery, and as the voltage comes up, the charge rate goes down too. Not that much of a concern, except that the more time a battery spends at less than full charge, the shorter its useful life will be.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 08/13/11 at 09:32:27

Routy wrote on 08/13/11 at 07:25:30:
arteacher wrote on 08/13/11 at 07:15:06:

To be safe,......but hard to say really. As was said, there isn't all that much charging going to the battery, and as the voltage comes up, the charge rate goes down too. Not that much of a concern, except that the more time a battery spends at less than full charge, the shorter its useful life will be.  

Unless you have some mega size gas tank no stocker could ever ride continuously for 4 hours at speed.  Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/13/11 at 09:36:50

arteacher wrote on 08/13/11 at 06:12:33:
I left my key in the ignition with the ignition on for 2 1/2 hrs yesterday.
Bike wouldn't start. Let it sit for 15 min- started right up. Set it to fast idle for 20 min and shut it down. Did I do any damage? Huh

All you did was shorten the battery's life a few weeks.

I'd check the acid level, though, to make sure the deep discharge/recharge cycle didn't change things much.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #9 - 08/13/11 at 09:45:22

Its never a good idea to charge a dead battery off a vehicles charging system.when i was in my mechanic trade school we had an instructor give us a demonstration of what happens to an alternator when forced to charge under a heavily loaded condition.an alternator will usually hit it's rated max amperage output at about 12.5v but he loaded the one on the tester down to 12.1v.the alternator we were testing was rated at 90amp output,but at 12v it was putting out almost 200amps it took about 3-5 mins before it started burning up,there was smoke pouring from it and sparks flying out the back.this is why when you buy a new alternator there's usually a tag on it or in the box at states "battery must be fully charged before installation,or you may void warranty" I know sometimes you gotta do what you can to get going,but whenever possible use a charger to charge a dead battery and not the charging system.

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 08/13/11 at 09:53:06

Markusublime wrote on 08/13/11 at 09:45:22:
Its never a good idea to charge a dead battery off a vehicles charging system.when i was in my mechanic trade school we had an instructor give us a demonstration of what happens to an alternator when forced to charge under a heavily loaded condition.an alternator will usually hit it's rated max amperage output at about 12.5v but he loaded the one on the tester down to 12.1v.the alternator we were testing was rated at 90amp output,but at 12v it was putting out almost 200amps it took about 3-5 mins before it started burning up,there was smoke pouring from it and sparks flying out the back.this is why when you buy a new alternator there's usually a tag on it or in the box at states "battery must be fully charged before installation,or you may void warranty" I know sometimes you gotta do what you can to get going,but whenever possible use a charger to charge a dead battery and not the charging system.

What Markusublime says is gospel, but I wonder how that reality affects the wimpy little alternator on a Savage?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/13/11 at 09:54:20

Idled for 20 min. ?...  Did you blue your pipe?...

Mine sure would,...
...'cept, it can't get any bluer than it already is... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 08/13/11 at 11:38:44

Fast idle- 2000 rpm.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 08/13/11 at 11:40:59

Not topic related: Marcusublime- check your pm's if you want to check out the Corbin.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/14/11 at 00:18:10

My battery has been freaking amazing. It's sat through multiple winters where it wasn't even started for a couple of months.

Eventually, about a year or so ago, I had a hard time getting it to start. I pulled out the battery and filled up the levels with distilled water. I then charged it on a slow charger and put it back in the bike. Started up great.

I then decided to try one of these silly solar trickle charger things on the bike. I left it on for a day and a night, and when I went to start the bike - battery was drained. The doohicky said it had a circuit to prevent loss of charge. Didn't work for me. I threw it away.

I recharged it again. Worked great.

I recently moved, and I had to put my bike in storage for about 2 months. When I finally went to try to start it, it turned over fine. Except I was out of gas. I tried to start it until I couldn't turn it over any more. I pulled the battery, brought it home and charged it fully, and then trickle charged it twice for about 12 hours each time. I took it back, put it in, added some gas and it fired up on the first try.

I was all set to fork over the 80 bucks for a replacement, but it is still going strong. I know I'll have to replace it soon, but it's been amazing. I've had it for 6 years now probably. It's a Yuasa.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 09:20:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left lights on.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.