Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Totally dumb noob question (Read 110 times)
Cloudyday
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Totally dumb noob question
08/12/11 at 19:09:07

OK, I'm new to riding, this is my first bike - had it 4 weeks now and love it.  But I am so new to this stuff I'm still trying to figure out some basic stuff.  So, I apologize for the lameness of this question, and thank you in advance for your patience.

Here goes:  How do I check the pre-load setting on the rear shocks?  And, how do I adjust it if I want to try a different setting?

I've tried reading the owner's manual, but I must be overlooking something because it doesn't make any sense to me at all.  I don't see anything that looks like the little sloping notched thing shown in the diagram at all.  And I can't tell what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks again for your patience.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Totally dumb noob question
Reply #1 - 08/12/11 at 19:30:01

There is a hole in the side of the chrome at the bottom, (I believe) of the shock. I used as big of a phillips screwdriver that would fit in there--or a punch.That whole chrome section will spin. I actually unbolted and removed the top of the shock. (Do 1 side at a time.) It's easier to get it to spin with the weight off.  You will see the notched thing that the peg rests in. The higher the notch, the stiffer the ride. I weigh 250, so mine are on the highest notch, so as not to bottom out on bumps. Good luck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/12/11 at 19:34:05

kinda simple, if you go over a bump and it bottoms out, stiffen it up.

there's a hole in the bottom chrome shield, stick a rod in there and turn it.
I could never do it on the bike, so I take it off, turn it upside down (makes it easy to see what setting you're on) put it on the top shock mount and turn the bottom.

both shock must be set the same way.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #3 - 08/13/11 at 04:48:13

drums1 and verslagen1 got it right, and if you're bike is stock I highly reccomend stiffening them up, you'll be amazed at the increase in stability which will inturn increase your confidence!  I set mine as stiff as they will go and I can't believe the improved handling (specially in the twisties)!

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/13/11 at 05:09:39

Cloudyday wrote on 08/12/11 at 19:09:07:
...... So, I apologize for the lameness of this question, and thank you in advance for your patience......

I hope the immediate, helpful, and sincere responses show there is no need to apologize, or in any other way, feel uneasy about asking for help here.  This forum is here precisely to offer up that kind of assistance.  Besides, it's fun.

What's the worst that could happen with any question you'd ask?  Someone would probably refer you to another thread where your issue had already been handled,... then you could just go there and read up on it.

Usually, it is considered good forum etiquette to do a search for your subject before you start a new thread, but, again, what's the worst that could happen, eh?

Glad you are part of our community now.  Congrats on getting a Savage,.. we like this bike around here.

Have you done a motorcycle safety course yet?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Cloudyday
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/13/11 at 10:00:43

Thanks for the responses.  I'll give it a try at my first opportunity.  Honestly, it feels like it's bottoming out, but then I'm pretty inexperienced so for all I know it's supposed to feel this way.  Smiley  But I'll try adjusting it and see what it does.  Thanks for the instructions.

And thanks all for the welcome.  I love the spirit of this group - the helpfulness, friendliness, good fun.  Unlike some forums I'm on (for other things than motorcycles) there's no flaming or trolling or bashing going on here, and that's refreshing.  So, my thanks to the moderators for their work.

Yes, I have taken the motorcycle safety course - actually a couple years ago.  And that made up sum total of my riding experience until I bought this S40 a few weeks ago.  But, I've been taking it easy, going slow, and it all seems to be coming back to me.  I have thought, though, of checking with them about a "refresher" course.

Thanks again for your help.  I hope one day I can contribute something worthwhile to the group!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/13/11 at 10:04:14

TheSnakeLady wrote on 08/13/11 at 04:48:13:
drums1 and verslagen1 got it right, and if you're bike is stock I highly reccomend stiffening them up, you'll be amazed at the increase in stability which will inturn increase your confidence!  I set mine as stiff as they will go and I can't believe the improved handling (specially in the twisties)!

At your weight you don't need it full stiffest,Get a better ride the less stiff.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/13/11 at 10:14:09

Cloudyday wrote on 08/13/11 at 10:00:43:
Thanks for the responses.
And thanks all for the welcome.  I love the spirit of this group - the helpfulness, friendliness, good fun.  Unlike some forums I'm on (for other things than motorcycles) there's no flaming or trolling or bashing going on here, and that's refreshing.  So, my thanks to the moderators for their work.

We're not Savages....  
Okay,... we are Savages,... but polite Savages... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:17:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Totally dumb noob question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.