Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HALP !!! Starter keeps running..... (Read 111 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
HALP !!! Starter keeps running.....
08/12/11 at 14:36:02

I went for a cruise today...about 100 miles. 7 or 8 stops along the way. I get home. Went to go ride a little more. When I hit the starter button, it started right up, but the starter kept spinning. I turned off the switch and the key--it kept cranking. I had to let it crank while I ran in the house for garage door opener, start it back up, go to garage and disconnect battery, while it was running. Only then did the starter shut off. Any idea's as to where my short might be? Switch? Solenoid? And how much gas do you suppose I pumped into the crankcase while it was sitting there cranking?
The only question I have left is: WHAT NEXT ?????
Good thing it's going to rain here the next 2 or 3 days, or I'd be ripping what little hair I have left, out by the roots.

Angry Shocked Embarrassed Undecided

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Re: HALP !!! Starter keeps running.....
Reply #1 - 08/12/11 at 14:42:37

Sounds like the starter solenoid may be stuck.
The decompression controller also fires the starter solenoid(the starter button actually doesn't fire the starter solenoid,it powers up the decomp controller which then fires the decomp then the starter solenoid),but since it did it with the key off,it's probably not the problem.
Probably didn't get gas in the crankcase,most likely with no spark it colleted in the exhaust.Could be interesting when it cranks up!

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/12/11 at 14:44:47

Ya, the switch was off and the key was off and out, in my hand, and it sits there cranking over. I'm baffled.
Oh, it started right up, no explosion, but I could smell gas when I came back out.

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #3 - 08/12/11 at 14:46:34

With the key switch off,disconnect the small wires from the starter solenoid and then re-connect your battery.If it turns over then,you definitely have a bad starter solenoid.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/12/11 at 15:35:04

coil on relay should read 2 to 6 ohms with y/b and ground wires  disconnected...
or the starter side of the relay is fused together(my guess this is the problem)
disconnect the starter wires and if you get an ohm reading you need a new relay, sometimes a few wacks with a screwdriver handle works
to free up the contacts

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/12/11 at 15:40:38

All you got to do is give the fender right below the ig switch a good sharp rap to break it loose.

the contacts on the relay have fuzed over, no big deal.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/12/11 at 16:02:50

Well, I tried that Versy, no go. It still keeps-a-crankin'. Next?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/12/11 at 17:07:36

Look at the decomp timer,, thers a wire there that IF you put 12V on it, even low amp 12 V, its gonna spin the starter, even if the key is in your pocket. Thats how I solved a "Will not crank" problem. I use a microswitch off of a DVD player,, Its smaller than th nail on my pinky, but it starts the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #8 - 08/12/11 at 20:01:59

That would be the yellow/green wire,it comes from the start button through the safety switches.
You could unplug the decomp controller and see if that stops it.If it does,check and see if you have 12 volts on the yellow/green wire.If there isn't,you may have a bad decomp controller.
If it still spins the starter with the controller unplugged,then the starter solenoid is probably stuck shut.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: SOLVED///// HALP !!! Starter keeps running....
Reply #9 - 08/13/11 at 10:14:19

Verslavy, if you see this, you were right. It was the relay. Hitting the fender didn't work, but when I took the seat off and tapped the relay itself, it quit doing it. Now, putting it all back together, I tore the dang boot over the + terminal. It shorts out against the battery box.

Grin

As soon as the monsoon t-storm passes, I will be taping up some wires and stuff. A new relay runs what, about $70?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HALP !!! Starter keeps running.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.