Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
96' LS650 GAS LEAK. . . (Read 135 times)
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

96' LS650 GAS LEAK. . .
08/12/11 at 02:07:01

I just bought today a 1996 LS650. The owner had previous problems with the bike through his dealership and his story was :

"when i bought the bike, I had a bad engine and transmission and so the dealership replaced them both with newer engines. he still had issues with them and not running correctly so the dealership AGAIN replaced the two engine and transmission with new ones!" this time it was fixed for good. so the bike run well and he uses it daily for short work commutes.

As me and my buddy inspected the bike for flaws, we found only very very minor cosmetic flaws (scratched exhaust, front right peg slightly bent, ect.) the bike was sound as he started it up with no problem.
we took the bike for test rides trying it out at 60MPH down the empty roads near his work.

I finally made the deal and was preparing for a 60miles cruise back to Fullerton from Lake Elsinor. The bike ran great on the highway and had no issues at all. perfect ride. I pull the bike into my garage and me and my buddy talk around it, rejoicing from our victory Haha. . .

I leave the bike next to my car, and give my buddy a ride home. The bike sat for no more than 2 hours and as I came back eager to ride the bike more. . .

. . .It did not start easily as it did before, it took two failed starts and then the third one with me reving the throttle a bit to get the bike to finally start. I let the clutch go as the bike was in neutral to let the engine warm up and it starts to slow down and then it dies.

I then took the bike out to the road and I stopped at a sign and I noticed the engine slowing down as I stop and it died once again. I was suddenly not so happy about my recent purchase.  I started the bike up again after 3-4 more failed starts and rode it back to my garage.  I pulled it up and noticed that there is A GAS LEAK under my bike, i see a small puddle being formed and then it would stop.  I fired up the bike again and turned it off and more gas dropped out of this breather tube. . .

IS the tube connecting to the air filter box? or a carb? Im not 100% sure to where it leads to. . . but I wonder if you guys can help me out on my situation.

IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Re: 96' LS650 GAS LEAK. . .
Reply #1 - 08/12/11 at 02:07:49

the bike, not too bad!

IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/12/11 at 02:08:32

what do you think of the decal? im not too fond of it but the guy was a label and banner maker and decided to put something there ahahaha

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 08/12/11 at 04:43:52

I'm not a gold fan but it looks good.I like the decal,not overly done.As for thge gas leak,I'm thinking maybe the float is sticking.Did the bike sit alot?Try putting some Seafoam in the tank and take it for a long ride.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 08/12/11 at 04:59:05

You've got 2 vent tubes coming off the carburetor and not attached to anything under the seat. If the float sticks the carb can overflow into these vent tubes, so that's probably where the leak is.  This could also result in too much gas flowing when running, causing an old- fashioned "flooded" condition, and this could be why it's dying:  it's flooding out. I haven't used Seafoam very much, but Demin's recommendation sounds reasonable.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/12/11 at 06:12:41

Test your petcock...
Very common problem on a Savage... cheap and easy to fix...
Instructions here...Wink...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/12/11 at 06:35:35

+1
Serowbot wrote on 08/12/11 at 06:12:41:
Test your petcock...
Very common problem on a Savage... cheap and easy to fix...
Instructions here...Wink...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #7 - 08/12/11 at 07:58:48

Good looking bike...looks like you're missing the tool cover though.

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #8 - 08/12/11 at 07:59:40

That is a new(er) engine too...because the '96 did not have the bottom painted black on the engine.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 08/12/11 at 10:53:49

Unless somebody painted the bottom half....

Nice looking bike, looks mostly stock.  I like the decal ok too.  Agree with Demin, not overly done.  And if you're into that kinda thing, it looks like it was done well, from what I can tell from the pics.  

« Last Edit: 08/12/11 at 12:36:51 by babyhog »  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 08/12/11 at 11:34:23

Nice looking bike you got there.
It doesn't matter to me what
kind of decal you have, as long
as you like it. BTW, it looks good.

I would do as Serowbot suggested,
check the petcock. That could save
you some time. Enjoy and good luck. Smiley kim

IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/12/11 at 21:03:55

This isthe bike w.o the decal muuuuuch better to me.

And the color is a type of gold I guess. . .
Aha
But I see it more as a deep mustard yellow ahaha. Its growig on me, this is my first S40 after foolishly buying a Yamaha XJ700.
It was sold 1 month ago and found this 100% better beast.

As for the foam, sweeet Im going to try it out tommorow for sure.
I see a nice ride long ride up and down the hills of fullerton and anaheim.
And a stuck float huh? I hope thats not the problem but, i shall see where im at after the sea foam. .might as well check the pet thingy too, does that thread explain the use of the: PRI- ON- RESRV? Jus the pri and on i am questionable about.

And THNKS guys :] any names for youre bikes?
Im curious as to what others name thier bikes. . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:25:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 96' LS650 GAS LEAK. . .

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.