opinions please (Read 157 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
opinions please
08/11/11 at 08:00:09

Not that I'm getting rid of the thumper but what (if anything) do you guys think of the '06 M50?
There is one on CL here for 1200. 27k miles needs new rear brake cable (Yes, big bike with rear drum  Huh), front tire and according to him it has an engine knock.
I'm thinking the knock may be valves but it could also be the cam chain.
Anyone had experience with this bike engine-wise? The valves I can pull off, the cam chain on a v-twin, I'm not so sure.
Thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: opinions please
Reply #1 - 08/11/11 at 09:31:27

I love the M50's.  Wanted one until I fell so madly in love with my S40 that I can't imagine riding anything else.  For now.  But I do still drool over them.

I believe its the same basic bike as the C50/Volusia with a few cosmetic differences (fenders, colors, etc)  You might browse VolusiaRiders.com for valve, cam chain and engine issues.  27k is alot of miles, but 1200 is a great price for an '06.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 08/11/11 at 09:49:01

it really is a nice looking bike. At least from the pictures  Smiley
That's kinda the one thing that worries me is the miles. I know our bikes well enough but for an 800 that seems like when things might start going south and although I feel super comfortable pulling an S40 engine I'm not so sure about a V-twin with FI and shaft drive....
What to do, what to do?????

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 08/11/11 at 10:19:24

Do your homework!!!!!!!ALWAYS figure the worst.How much is a bottom end replace/rebiuld?Another engine?How good of a deal is it if you have to put a G note in it.Not putting it down,just be prepared.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/11/11 at 10:20:56

Having a vehicle evaluated by a REal Mechanic costs a little. Buying a turd costs a lot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/11/11 at 10:36:27

Thanks for the input. I don't plan on doing anything rash but it could be that he's just not up to the challenge. I know these bikes don't use hydralic lifters so if it's valves that's an easy fix.
I was just wondering if anyone has heard or had first hand experience with these bikes.
Denver is a funny town...people dump bikes all the time around here just to have the garage space for some other new toy... Grin

I've already asked him if it's ridable and if he can send me a video of the noise it's making (haven't heard back).
From what I've read, it's sounds as if a lot of the owners of these bikes hear the valves and think some bad stuff is happening. They do not have hydralic lifters and they are used to bikes costing twice as much with no noise... Smiley
It'll probably be gone by the time he writes back anyway... Wink

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 08/11/11 at 11:33:47

Diamond Jim had a beautiful M50.  If he was still around, I'm sure he could help you.  You might even PM him if you are serious.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 08/11/11 at 12:58:25

Well this about sums it up...his response

"it ran with very little oil for maybe a week before it semi seized on me while riding it. I don't know how long he rode it before me or when the last oil change happened before I did it. If your not up for pulling the engine this bike is probably not for you"

Now I usually think that an engine is siezed or not (never heard of "semi-siezed" b4). But at least the guys being truthful with me... Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/11/11 at 13:03:48

Well,, that noise you were hearing just may not be the valves,, huhh?? You did good. Id thank him for his honesty.

Ive Semi Seized before.
My heart stopped & there were other biological events ( all unpleasant) at the same time.
I saw a semi running a red light & I was thinking I was gonna get creamed there for just a split second..

JK,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 08/11/11 at 13:08:54

I never did hear it running but I did thank him and told him I was passing.
Funny tho'...here was his response to my asking if it ran

"Yes I have a title, yes it's ridable and I'm 95% sure the engine needs rebuilt, for that reason I'm selling it so cheap. The friend I bought it from understated how bad the oil needed changed when I got it from him. Still starts and rides great."

so is it seized or not? I'm not gonna find out... Grin

IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #10 - 08/11/11 at 15:40:35

Don't know whether the one you're looking at is worth it, but I owned an M50 for 4 years, and only got rid of it because I got a new titanium shoulder and now can't handle the weight of bikes over 400 lbs if they start to tip.  I hated the sloppy, messy chain drive on my '03, so I put a Scootworks belt drive conversion kit on mine.  
The clutch did not compare to the Savage, a common complaint on the internet by M50 owners, and the PO, a wing nut from FE Warren AFB just out of high school, had trashed the clutch anyway, but when I put a new one on it, the bike no longer was hell to get away from a stop.  Otherwide, I had zero problems in 5,000 miles(8800 on it when I got rid of it, and got  mid to high 40s gas mileage, depending how I drove it.
It would go 80 on the interstate with ease, and was more comfortable going a distance than the Savage, no surprise.
I don't know if someone had tuned it for altitude before I got the bike, but it seemed to be jetted right.  It was due for a tune-up when it went bye-bye.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › opinions please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.