Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Standard OEM Savage s-40 SS check (Read 211 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Standard OEM Savage s-40 SS check
08/11/11 at 06:47:30

On a level floor,....front wheel turned to the right, are you able to place a 4x4 (3 1/2") under your side stand w/o the bike falling over ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

On edit, I have deleted the poll, because most couldn't care less Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 08/12/11 at 05:30:51 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Standard OEM Savage s-40 SS check
Reply #1 - 08/11/11 at 08:40:23

I have 1/2 inch longer shocks it would work for me,So standard stocks I would think not.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 08/11/11 at 09:03:09

I haven't tried a 4x4. I know I can do it with two 2x8s stacked.  (See Rikko's Build Your Own Bike Lift/Stand)  Don't know if that extra 1/2" will make a difference.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 08/19/11 at 21:11:06

Routy wrote on 08/11/11 at 06:47:30:
On a level floor,....front wheel turned to the right, are you able to place a 4x4 (3 1/2") under your side stand w/o the bike falling over ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

On edit, I have deleted the poll, because most couldn't care less Roll Eyes

FWIW......

My bike (see my signature.....it has OEM suspension/wheels/tires/side stand, BTW) does NOT fall over when so tested.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/20/11 at 07:04:39

Well, maybe mine is the only one that does. Maybe its my forward controls. Maybe my sidestand got bent down Roll Eyes
Seems strange tho, most say a 2x4 get it vertical enough to check the oil the Suzuki way, but twice that much it doesn't go over center ?? Ok.
It don't matter anyway.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/20/11 at 21:54:48

Just performed a quick measurement on mine.

With the steering in position XXX and the bike vertical as determined by a level on the starter the resulting height of the kickstand off of level ground is:
Position Kickstand Height
full left 3 1/4 inches
straight 3 1/2 inches
full right 3 inches

The measurements were only taken once, so the error could be attributed to the measurer...my wife.  Tongue

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/21/11 at 07:22:33

DD,
Thanks for that check.
I assume your bike is all standard shocks...tire....etc ?
So to decyfer your info,......
when turned to the right, it will fall over w/ a 4x4 (3.5") under the SS.
Wow, do you suppose our bikes are broken, or everyone elses is Shocked

Getting back to my original point,.....oil level means nothing when using the SS method,.....if the bikes are not standard.
But, fact still remains that once you determine the oil level that your bike will handle on the SS, its no problem. And it seems that so far, no one has pushed that beyond the limits. I know that mine will handle the "low line" level,....others may not.

Rich
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 08/21/11 at 10:06:25

I did a hot oil check on mine and with 2 1/2 liters in it, and run at 70mph for 40 min, the oil showed to be half way up the sight glass with the engine running, and the bike level. It did not show in the sight glass with the bike shut down and still hot on the side stand. Do I put more in it? I am soooo confused. Undecided

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/21/11 at 15:36:41

No, you are not confused.   You just showed yourself what your true oil level would be with the engine hot and running.   And that was half way up your window which leaves a lot of clearance to the oil shelf so you are golden for that side stand oil level setting.

Now, can you remember your side stand oil level that you used to get that nice hot test?   Jest do her again and again.

My results are very similar to yours when I am window peeping (or a tad more)  at the bottom of the oil window.

And yeah, I think that folks with big shocks and forward controls and bent side stands have every right to have hot test results that are different.  

That's why the hot test gets done at least once -- so you know.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/21/11 at 16:22:34

Art,
You really should know where the oil level is when COLD on the side stand,......if you would like to use that method.

And you really should see oil in the site glass when cold on the SS.
If no oil shows, there is no advantage to using the SS method...right?
So you would have 2 choices,......add more oil till you do see it, or don't use the SS method. IMO, more oil is better, if your bike can handle it w/o blowing oil.
Hopefully after you let yours drain down overnite, you will see the oil level in the site glass, and don't have to worry about adding, if you don't want to.

In doing the hot test, I think mine was a bit too full on oil,.....but in who's opinion I don't know who came up w/ the hot test, or how.
All I know it that my standard bike is on...or right at the low line, and it IS NOT too much oil. I didn't have to "feel" this out, because when I bought mine at a dealer, it was between the 2 lines on the SS, which I thought at the time was the proper way to check it.

If it was me, I would keep adding oil a touch at a time till it showed in the window, always checking for any blowing oil in the air filter area.

Rich
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 08/21/11 at 17:09:18

Routy wrote on 08/21/11 at 07:22:33:
DD,
Thanks for that check.

Stock except for muffler and jets.

Perhaps the lighter muffler affects the way it balances?  Roll Eyes

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/21/11 at 18:41:59

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/21/11 at 17:09:18:
Routy wrote on 08/21/11 at 07:22:33:
DD,
Thanks for that check.

Stock except for muffler and jets.

Perhaps the lighter muffler affects the way it balances?  Roll Eyes

-D. Dwarf

Well,....yes....just the weight could make a small difference on how much oil it would take to stay in site glass range when cold.
Actually saddle bags etc etc all could make a little difference I suppose.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:20:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Standard OEM Savage s-40 SS check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.