Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Shell Rotella - where can i get it? (Read 916 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Re: Shell Rotella - where can i get it?
Reply #60 - 05/25/14 at 10:31:39

I am going to switch over to Rotella. I live in a hot climate and use 20/15-50/40 in my bikes. My question is wohld rotella T be ok The 15w-40 or only The t6? 5w oil doesnt do too good for me with older engines in constant 90 degree weather

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #61 - 05/25/14 at 23:08:24

Regular old T 15W40 is fine. Even Super Tech (Walmart house label) 15W40 is fine.

When I bought my 98 in Biloxi MS, the dealer's factory race team mechanic told me to run 20W50 from April to November, and 15W40 the rest of the time. That bike has a fragged electrical system, but the engine guts are flawless... no carbon build up, no odd noises, always shifted well unless the linkage was bending, valves never needed adjusted, etc.

My 03 that was fed a steady diet of T6 5W40 misses a lot of shifts. But it is getting better as the additive pack washes off the clutch plates, I figure one more oil change and it will be fine. I've put right at 2100 miles on it in a month and a half. It could seriously use an upgrade to 20W50, the 15W40 seems a mite thin, but finding decent 20W50 around here isn't easy. If I still had any left from my Harley riding days, I'd be using Cessna 60W like I did in my Knuckles, Pans, Shovels, Scouts, Chiefs and Ironhead Sportsters.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Oscar Johnson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Millers Falls, MA
Reply #62 - 05/31/14 at 08:39:22

Using the Rotella Triple 15w40, do you need to use an additive or using it straight up is ok?  Read that a ZDDP booster may be needed.

BTW, this is my 1st post, the info on this site so far has been priceless!

Oscar

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #63 - 05/31/14 at 08:58:55

Oscar Johnson wrote on 05/31/14 at 08:39:22:
Using the Rotella Triple 15w40, do you need to use an additive or using it straight up is ok?  Read that a ZDDP booster may be needed.

BTW, this is my 1st post, the info on this site so far has been priceless!

Oscar

Welcome, Oscar! Yeah, this is a cool place! From what I've read Rotella has 1250ppm, 1500 is optimal if you're anal about it, but straight up is fine.

IP Logged
Oscar Johnson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Millers Falls, MA
Reply #64 - 05/31/14 at 09:16:58

Thanks for the quick reply S-P!  I am actually a gear head of the Street Machine type, but my brother gave me his '97 Savage.  10,900 on the clock, beautiful shape, and a Raptor petcock on the way.  Heard that is a must!  Have gas in my oil and so am going to AutoZone right now for the oil.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #65 - 05/31/14 at 09:22:44

Oscar Johnson wrote on 05/31/14 at 09:16:58:
Thanks for the quick reply S-P!  I am actually a gear head of the Street Machine type, but my brother gave me his '97 Savage.  10,900 on the clock, beautiful shape, and a Raptor petcock on the way.  Heard that is a must!  Have gas in my oil and so am going to AutoZone right now for the oil.

Thanks again!

WOW! Free Savage?! Awesome! At 10K check your chain tensioner before going on a long cruise or riding it like an Apaloosa! An exploded tensioner is a career ending injury.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #66 - 05/31/14 at 12:19:46

Its $13.95 at the local Wal Mart right now,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #67 - 05/31/14 at 12:57:22

WD wrote on 05/25/14 at 23:08:24:
Regular old T 15W40 is fine.
I'd be using Cessna 60W like I did in my Knuckles, Pans, Shovels, Scouts, Chiefs and Ironhead Sportsters.

AeroShell Oil 15W-50 is a premium semi-synthetic for piston engines,
no idea on how much zddp though.. I've put LOTS of aeroshell 60wt  into puddle-jumpers

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Oscar Johnson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Millers Falls, MA
Reply #68 - 06/01/14 at 13:09:42

You guys are the best, thanks for the help!

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #69 - 06/09/14 at 09:48:39

and my question is this: now this oil can be used in the SAVAGE? like on marks API, JASO suitable for use, but I still have a small doubt. can you clarify? I have not used this oil...
about it:
"LOW EMISSION
THE EXTENDED SERVICE LIFE - PROTECTION
Triple Protection Technology For heavy-duty diesel engines
Shell Rotella T Triple Protection - fully synthetic oils developed on the basis of low ash technologies "Low SAPS" and provide protection under the most difficult conditions of the modern engines. Special protection is provided synthetic base oils "Group II" and a complex of additives. This ensures protection from wear, to control deposits and resistance to fracture at high temperatures .
Exclusive low ash formula helps protect the exhaust catalysts and controls education exhaust gases. Recommended by leading OEM manufacturers.
API: CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF; SM, SL, SJ, SH; ACEA: E9, E7 JASO DH-2, MA; Caterpillar: ECF-1A, ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins: CES 20081 DDC: 93K218; Deutz: DQC III-05 MACK: EO-O Premium Plus Ford: WSS-M2C171-E; MAN: M3575; MB 228.31; MTU: Category 2; Renault Trucks: RLD-3 ; Volvo VDS-4 "

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #70 - 06/09/14 at 10:22:00

wambr wrote on 06/09/14 at 09:48:39:
JASO MA;

Per the owners manual, we require JASO MA spec oil, no more no less.
If there's any doubt, this oil has been used in m/c's for decades.
While the additives are specifically for diesels (long range commercial) they do not detract from our use, in fact they are a benefit.
And on the Rotella forum, there was a question as to the applicability of the oil for m/c's that led to the addition of the JASO MA spec to the back of the bottle.

Case closed!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shell Rotella - where can i get it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.