Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RYCA Side Panel Thumbscrews (Read 95 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
RYCA Side Panel Thumbscrews
08/10/11 at 05:40:56

It seems inconsistent to me that so much effort is put into this bike by Suzuki and even RYCA, to make sure things don't come loose,... locktite, lock washers, etc.

The RYCA design uses thumbscrews to hold the side panels on.  
 -- Not much torque available here because the best you can do it to get them fingertight.  
 -- You could use pliers to tighten them, I guess, but then you'd need a tool to get them unscrewed.  Might as well use a real fastener (socket head, hexhead, etc.)
 -- No effort is put into making sure these things stay in place.

For youse guys that have been riding your CS-1s around, have the thumbscrews been staying in place satisfactorily?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Re: RYCA Side Panel Thumbscrews
Reply #1 - 08/10/11 at 08:00:52

Most of the kit is well thought out and has given me no trouble in over 900 miles of riding. However, I did lose both thumbscrews on the front side of the battery box. My fix was to use the kit adhesive to glue 1"x1" Commerical Electric black plastic electrical connectors to the inside front top of the side panels. I threaded zipties through the slots in the connector pieces and fixed the panels to the frame with the zipties. It works, but, of course,  I have to cut the zipties to remove the side panels.

« Last Edit: 08/10/11 at 11:33:59 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/11 at 08:49:49

I replaced the thumbscrews with equivalent sized allen head cap screws and lock washers. So far, no issues with them. The two bottom ones are easy to get to. THe right side one is also fairly easy to get to. The left side is very tight and took some effort to get the allen wrench in there.
I agree, the thumbscrews are not a great way of securing the side panels and I would ditch them in favor of something else .

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 08/10/11 at 09:12:29

A possible alternative might be to bolt the bracket to the battery box with regular fasteners, then use Velcro to hold the side covers to the bracket. That's what they do with interior panels on aircraft and other industrial uses. Of course, that's not an option if you've already glued the brackets and panels together.

But it's not like we need to be taking the side covers off all the time. How often do we need to fiddle with the battery?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/10/11 at 09:19:53

MotoBuddha wrote on 08/10/11 at 09:12:29:
A possible alternative might be to bolt the bracket to the battery box with regular fasteners, then use Velcro to hold the side covers to the bracket. That's what they do with interior panels on aircraft and other industrial uses. Of course, that's not an option if you've already glued the brackets and panels together.

But it's not like we need to be taking the side covers off all the time. How often do we need to fiddle with the battery?

I'm toying with the idea of using a lithium ion (really small) battery, and have some of the unused battery box space for a toolkit.  I would want to be able to get the sidepanels off without too much trouble, and without the need of tools.

IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #5 - 08/10/11 at 09:27:02

ditto what sbaugz said.  i've used allen socket heads too for the hard-to-reach forward screws.  and they are standard, not metric.  bigger washers help to provide more contact and make the panels less likely to move back and forth in their slots.

don't forget to carry the right size standard allen wrench in your tool kit!

another winter project will be to try dsuz fasteners for the battery box and rear seat bolts (i messed up the threads on the captive nuts for the rear seat mounts, so just drilled them out and used longer bolts and nylocks ), and figure out a better tank/front of the seat mounting system.  those fasteners are a real pain to get at.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 08/10/11 at 14:05:01

Just put star washers under them.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 08/10/11 at 18:49:52

arteacher wrote on 08/10/11 at 14:05:01:

And some thread lock couldn't hurt.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/10/11 at 19:50:39

MotoBuddha wrote on 08/10/11 at 18:49:52:
arteacher wrote on 08/10/11 at 14:05:01:

And some thread lock couldn't hurt.

Star washers and threadlock would keep them from coming loose, even when I wanted to unscrew them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA Side Panel Thumbscrews

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.