Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Baffled - How to repack an Emgo Shorty Muffler (Read 366 times)
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Baffled - How to repack an Emgo Shorty Muffler
08/08/11 at 20:37:26

So, after running my bike with the Emgo Shorty, I decided that as much as I loved the sound, it was just a tad too loud. My mission is to muffle it by 10 to 15% only.

First thing I did was take off the Shorty muffler from my bike.

The end cap is screwed on by three screws. Unscrew those and then try to pull the end off. I couldn't pull it off with my hands. I finally used the end of a wooden hammer. I stuck it in the end there and gently pried it off. Was actually easy this way.

Next comes the baffle itself. This thing does not want to come out easily. But if you stick a screw driven in the narrow end, and then rest it on the little edge of the baffle, then hammer it hard a few times, the baffle comes loose.

Here's what it looked like when I pulled it out! This is a brand new muffler, ridden one time!  Shocked

Next I decided I'd experiment with adding something to the baffle, to perhaps create a little more back pressure, and maybe dampen the sound just a little. I read somewhere else that people have put sink crumb catchers on the ends with mild success. I went for the huge stainless washer ( way cheaper ) and I spaced it out with nuts and washers. Air can flow around the side and through the middle. If it needs more flow, I can either drill holes in the washer, or I can space it out more. Or I can just remove it and the holes will stay patched by the bolts.

Next I picked up some proper material from a local bike shop. Was only 6.95 for the pro stuff. Then I wrapped it up with tape first, and then wire ( removed the tape ).

Now just work it back into the muffler, being careful to push the wire through the inner lip. Takes some patience.

Tip: Wear gloves when handling the fiberglass stuff.

And there you have it. A properly packed muffler! Now to get it on the bike and determine if it has actually lowered the volume or not.
Stay tuned...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Baffled - How to repack an Emgo Shorty Muffler
Reply #1 - 08/08/11 at 22:23:32

It looks like a smart job,, I sure like the way you did that washer,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 08/09/11 at 04:52:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/08/11 at 22:23:32:
It looks like a smart job,, I sure like the way you did that washer,

You did two changes at the same time.  I'd like to hear what it sounds like with each change by itself, before using them together.

IOW, what does it sound like with the proper insulation and no washer?,... and what does it sound like with the washer but no insulation,... THEN, both changes together.

Fiberglass insulation either burns up and disintegrates right away, or soon thereafter, or some time after that.  They just don't make any stuffing that lasts very long for our kind of situation where, under full throttle, the exhaust is REALLY hot and pulsing like crazy.

You might try using stainless steel packing,... the stuff they use for kitchen scrubbing.  It's a bit of a gamble because the alloy they use for that varies widely.  Get a few packs at Walmart, etc.  Cheap.

« Last Edit: 08/09/11 at 15:45:57 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/09/11 at 05:23:14

I tried the stainless kitchen scrubber stuff once. It made no difference in the sound. I then tried regular steel wool. It's more dense, but melts down to a ball and blows out the rear. I ended up using just a washer, inserted in the front of baffle, so it wouldn't blow out. Air flows through, and around it. Sounds good to me. Not too loud, not too quiet.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/09/11 at 05:53:30

drums1 wrote on 08/09/11 at 05:23:14:
I tried the stainless kitchen scrubber stuff once. It made no difference in the sound. I then tried regular steel wool. It's more dense, but melts down to a ball and blows out the rear. I ended up using just a washer, inserted in the front of baffle, so it wouldn't blow out. Air flows through, and around it. Sounds good to me. Not too loud, not too quiet.

The stainless steel scrubber stuff doesn't work very well unless you fill in just about all of the volume of the chamber it is in.  For example, in this Emgo Shorty muffler, the fiberglass (stock and mmosel's repack) filled in much less than the whole volume.  If the scrubber stuff were installed that way, I doubt it would make much diff either.  In any event, the stainless scrubber stuff won't absorb as much sound as the fiberglass,.. but it usually won't vaporize fairly soon like fiberglass and steel wool.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/09/11 at 06:59:25

FMF premier multi layer

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/09/11 at 15:40:18

Yeah, not sure how long this new packing will last. Some people have reported 4000 miles on their bikes, but that naturally will vary bike to bike. There is also some stainless steal wool packing out there that I might try later on.

Here's one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-Steel-Muffler-Packing-Exhaust-Silenc...

This next link looks pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Brothers-Racing-Stainless-005-10038S/dp/B000WKFNY6

Also, I know I did two mods at once. And that does make it hard to know exactly what is doing what to the sound. But I didn't feeling like redoing it 4 times, so I just took a chance and went for both. I'm going to go start it up in just a bit.

OR maybe ceramic wool is the ticket?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsLktGzNx8

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 08/09/11 at 15:54:01

I had some of this stuff left over from my other bike. It was tricky to get into the cone. I'll have to see how it works.

http://areapnolimits.com/silentsport.html

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/09/11 at 16:11:24

Success!!!!!

I just fired it up and it sounds super tight and very sporty, without being obnoxious. I think I changed the sound and muffled it by 15 to 20%.

It is true though, that I don't know exactly how much the washer is doing. If the fiberglass burns out over time, then I'll probably notice a difference in volume, and I'll then be able to tell exactly how much the washer is doing. I could take off the washer, but I'm too lazy and I'm super happy with the sound. Maybe I can record it.

This is also the first time I've run it with the new k&n air filter (drop in ). I'm gonna go take a short ride downtown now and see how she runs. Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 08/09/11 at 18:40:02

Next time the packing burns out, go to a woodstove/fireplace shop. Buy a couple sheets of woodstove packing,goes between the firebox and the top. If the shop is really god, they will carry what you really need. ASBESTOS wool. Or wrap the core with woodstove door gasket rope. The flat kind.

My muffler is packed with asbestos wool, copper scrubbies, stainless scrubbies and some bronze window screen to hold it all together. Still sounds like a helo, but not a Huey.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/09/11 at 21:27:55

All good tips and feedback!

WD, good stuff. Although I think I'd rather deal with ceramic than asbestos.

I might at some point experiment with adding something down the other end of the pipe for kicks.

IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/10/11 at 19:29:03

What I found with mine was that the perforated screen welded in halfway down the core creates a high pressure area that will eat its way through glass packing around the screen, no matter how tightly packed. To give gases some way around the screen, relieve the pressure and preserve the packing, I wrapped the core with three layers of coarse stainless mesh, then tight packed (as in need a rubber hammer to refit the core) glass.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/10/11 at 20:11:55

Yeah I've been looking for some cheap stainless mesh screen. Haven't found much available yet. There are a few small pieces on Ebay, but it seems pricey. I'd like to find a cheap source for the stuff.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #13 - 08/12/11 at 20:19:01

Muffler Update.

I decided to pull the baffle out again today. I found some mesh screen from a kitchen anti-splatter doohicky. I first wrapped the baffle in one layer of the screen. Then I wrapped the fiberglass packing. Then I wrapped another layer of the screen around that and wound it up tight with some tape and then the wire for when the tape burns away. I don't know how long the mesh screen will last, but it's an experiment.

I also put in a 1.5 inch crumb cup at the exit of the baffle, and then put the washer back in place.

I finally removed the mixture screw plug and I've started dialing that in.

I just got back from a ride and not only does it sound even better now, it has restored some of the power that I lost. I might still have to rejet, or perhaps try the white spacer mod, I'll see how the power feels after the next few rides.  It's sounds freaking awesome! And it gets noticed, but it's not obnoxious. So it should be interesting to see how long it stays this way. Hopefully for a while!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 08/16/11 at 20:00:42

I just had a look at the insides of our mufflers for the Double RYCA Build.  

Pathetic.

The fiberglass in there looks like it'll be about as effective and durable as toilet paper.

I'll be checking out some of the sources you guys mentioned for more durable and sound-deadening stuffing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 21:38:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Baffled - How to repack an Emgo Shorty Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.