Send Topic Print
Buggered Head Bolts (Read 97 times)
SW-Vegas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buggered Head Bolts
08/08/11 at 19:25:25

Someone tried to install a custom exhaust on this 2002 LS650 I recently took in on trade.  They buggered the bolts into the head, so now the bolt on one side sticks out and they have a wire wrapped around the bolt and tied off to the exhaust pipe.  How do I start restoring it?  I don't have the tools or the knowledge to pull the jug, but it looks like it will take a trip to the machine shop at a minimum.  Maybe a replacement head.  Anyone have a used head for sale?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Buggered Head Bolts
Reply #1 - 08/08/11 at 20:17:56

put helicoils in.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 08/09/11 at 05:00:56

Assuming you are from Vegas, I'm sure there are some machine shops/bike shops/racing shops that can do helicoil work, like Vers mentioned.  The shops around here in Atlanta charge maybe $20.

One thought,.... they might not have the capability to do a metric helicoil.  Do you care?  It wouldn't be a showstopper for me, but I would rather have the replacement hole match the original hole. You might have to make that decision.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/09/11 at 05:14:14

$20 per helicoil?? That's amazing. I think I'll move to Atlanta.
Metric? Standard? I don't think the motor will know or care.
You might post in the Marketplace section--someone may have a used head. Or maybe try EBay.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/09/11 at 05:57:03

drums1 wrote on 08/09/11 at 05:14:14:
$20 per helicoil?? That's amazing. I think I'll move to Atlanta.
Metric? Standard? I don't think the motor will know or care.
You might post in the Marketplace section--someone may have a used head. Or maybe try EBay.

Several years ago I took in a lawn mower head from an old motor I had inherited that had munged-up spark plug threads.  It was $14 and change, so I am guessing $20.  Okay, maybe $30.  

Hell, you can buy a whole helicoil repair kit on ebay for $30!!

Cheaper and way less trouble than a new/used head.

Metric? Standard? I don't think the motor will know or care.  The motor won't, but I do,... some.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/09/11 at 06:05:32

Well ya, the head's gotta come off either way, so I guess cheaper is better. I just know it would cost a dam sight more than $20-$30 to have a helicoil done here in Wisconsin. $100 maybe. They are all about labor dollars. I had a helicoil done on one of my head bolts (or should I say, a "sleeve") It came loose with all the vibration, or maybe wasn't properly installed in the 1st place--point being, it started leaking oil around the head. ( I just had the head gasket done) He ended up drilling it all the way through and putting a nut on the bottom, sealed with locktight.  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 08/09/11 at 06:07:07

drums1 wrote on 08/09/11 at 06:05:32:
Well ya, the head's gotta come off either way, so I guess cheaper is better. I just know it would cost a dam sight more than $20-$30 to have a helicoil done here in Wisconsin. $100 maybe. They are all about labor dollars. I had a helicoil done on one of my head bolts (or should I say, a "sleeve") It came loose with all the vibration, or maybe wasn't properly installed in the 1st place--point being, it started leaking oil around the head. ( I just had the head gasket done) He ended up drilling it all the way through and putting a nut on the bottom, sealed with locktight.  

Are you sure the head has to come off?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/09/11 at 06:11:51

To do a helicoil for a head bolt? I would think so.....

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/09/11 at 06:16:13

drums1 wrote on 08/09/11 at 06:11:51:
To do a helicoil for a head bolt? I would think so.....

We need some clarification here.  I think he is talking about the exhaust header bolt,.. "Someone tried to install a custom exhaust on this 2002 LS650 I recently took in on trade.  They buggered the bolts into the head, so now the bolt on one side sticks out and they have a wire wrapped around the bolt and tied off to the exhaust pipe."

If he is talking about the bolts that hold the head to the cylinder, yes, the head has to come off.  If he is talking about exhaust header bolts, maybe not.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/09/11 at 06:24:53

Oh ok. I thought he was talking about a head bolt. My bad. Although access is an issue. Is the frame downtube in the way? Not much room to work down there. Head might still need to come off. And most places charge by the hour. Going rate here is $61.00. Parts may only be $30, plus labor, plus the 1-2 week wait to get an appointment. Might be better off DIY at home. Good luck.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 08/09/11 at 06:41:22

I had a header bolt to break off while I was on the Tail-o'-the-Dragon trip last year.  Took it to a shop named Wheeler's 15 miles south of Deals Gap and the mechanic replaced both header bolts with studs and cap nuts without taking much if anything apart.  I think those bolts should have been designed as studs to begin with.  If you've got to fix it anyway........

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 08/09/11 at 08:53:52

serenity3743 wrote on 08/09/11 at 06:41:22:
I had a header bolt to break off while I was on the Tail-o'-the-Dragon trip last year.  Took it to a shop named Wheeler's 15 miles south of Deals Gap and the mechanic replaced both header bolts with studs and cap nuts without taking much if anything apart.  I think those bolts should have been designed as studs to begin with.  If you've got to fix it anyway........

What was the cost?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 08/09/11 at 09:08:27

I remember the cost was very reasonable, but I don't remember exactly.  Fairly certain it was <$30.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:22:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buggered Head Bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.