Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Different kind of project - Wood, not MC related (Read 558 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Different kind of project - Wood, not MC relat
Reply #30 - 08/18/11 at 05:34:11

Boule', you're sweet and I appreciate it.  Inspiration is always nice.  I'll look up the books you mentioned.  I keep seeing log furniture and think "I can make that", so I have more projects than I can handle.  Our yard at home has suffered a bit because we have been spending so much time away.  Not to even mention riding time!  At least I can ride to and from work, so that has saved alot of my sanity!  And sharing this here has helped me too.    

Latest news... meeting with the electric company again today.  Last October when we first met with them, they basically denied us service (without us paying a fortune up front) because this place is a few hunderd feet downhill away from the main power line run and they will have to set new poles and a new transformer.  For a "non-permanent" residence (monthly bill will be minimal) they say its not worth it.  But we cut a new driveway through some trees and should be a more straight shot back to the last transformer, so fingers are crossed that they will be more lenient.  I'm hoping the engineer sees the progress we've made and feels sorry for us.  Plus, where I work, we do a ton of work for the power company and I know they had spending freezes in place last year that have been lifted and they are spending like crazy, so I'm hoping it transfers over to new service for us!  All prayers are welcome...    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 08/18/11 at 08:38:23

Babyhog what if you guys run and underground line up to the transformer,Would they hook it up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #32 - 08/18/11 at 09:15:31

bill67 wrote on 08/18/11 at 08:38:23:
Babyhog what if you guys run and underground line up to the transformer,Would they hook it up.

There was some talk about underground, but I can't remember the details.  Might be a thought...  sounds expensive though.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #33 - 08/18/11 at 09:16:55

babyhog wrote on 08/18/11 at 09:15:31:
bill67 wrote on 08/18/11 at 08:38:23:

There was some talk about underground, but I can't remember the details.  Might be a thought...  sounds expensive though.

vs. new poles and a new transformer though, it might still be less expensive... I would definitely ask them about that option when you meet with them.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 08/18/11 at 11:04:08

How far is it to that transformer?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #35 - 08/18/11 at 11:19:42

Just got a text from hubby, he is meeting with the engineer right now and it looks like that's the way we're going - underground.  I hadn't brought it up to him yet, but that's what he is saying now.  Good call Bill!!   OMG I hope I'm not blinding everyone with the smile on my face!!!   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley

Now how fast can they get it done?   Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 08/18/11 at 11:33:36

You guys can cut a ditch with that dozer, Direct Bury wire is out there,
Put up a Meter pole or mount it to the house?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #37 - 08/18/11 at 12:38:33

Piglet, it shouldn't take long, once the prep work
is finished..
Good luck and I have my sun glasses on. Cool . Yes your
smile is blinding but I don't blame you for being
over joyed.. Best of luck.. Hugs.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #38 - 08/18/11 at 13:03:18

Their policy - gotta dig a 3-foot deep trench, lay conduit, then they come and inspect.. pay them $419, then they provide the wire from the pole to the house and pull it through the conduit.  They also have to replace one pole higher up the hill because it isn't tall enough (gotta get the proper angle, I suppose), and set one new pole with the transformer where we will tap in (I think that's right).  Looks like we'll be doing some digging this weekend... if he can find something to use.  He does great with the dozer but it won't dig a 3 foot deep trench, I don't think.  Oh, its about 120 yards to where they will set the transformer.  Lovely!

Would be lovely to have power by hunting season...    Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 08/18/11 at 13:43:50

Once had to dig a trench but it was only 1 or 2 foot deep for about that long.  But I was a youngster then.  About halfway thru you begin to think of other ways of getting the job done.

Take an I-beam, mount it to the shovel and push it thru the dirt.  mount it so it slopes up like a plow.  also mount it off center so if you hit a rock hubby doesn't eat an I beam.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 08/18/11 at 14:02:58

3 feet DEEP?? How cold does it get up there? Owell,, if its 3 feet, its 3 feet,, better add up the cost of the project with the trench & w/o it,, The difference in $$$ may be easier to absorb than the pain of such a trench, 360 feet of 4 inch wide trench 3 feet deep,, 1 foot is a cubic foot, 27 feet is a yard, Gonna excavate over 13 yards of dirt, making that 3 foot deep cut. Thats more than a dumptruck load.. I wouldnt do it w/o some equipment,, & equipment costs,, A couple of poles & youre in business,,
Maybe thats why we see so many poles?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 08/18/11 at 17:51:42

In Illinois and Wisconsin you wouldn't use conduit just and underground wire.And they would use a chain drencher and maybe it would be a 6 inch trench.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #42 - 08/19/11 at 06:36:25

We do occasionally get sub-zero temps, normal winter lows I'd guess average mid-teens to 20's.  We've always used 30-36" as frost level, for water lines and such.  Oh, I was wrong about the distance too.  Its only about 175 feet, so that's a little better.  Working on some equipment to borrow or rent.  Dollar signs are making me nauseous...      

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 08/19/11 at 09:44:18

Yea,, Ive had to have a few Tums around here several times.. $$$$ signs start spinning around & I tart feelin sick,,

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #44 - 08/19/11 at 11:50:10

Piglet, take it from someone that has been there
and done that. Or at least gave it a good shot..
Rent some equipment. It shouldn't take long to
dig the trench and you and hubby's backs will
thank you for that.
Good luck and keep us posted..
O btw, I love your lil tree house..Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:14:54