Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New owner - pipes and decel popping (Read 494 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New owner - pipes and decel popping
Reply #30 - 08/07/11 at 13:48:34

Gyrobob wrote on 08/07/11 at 13:25:12:
MrBrownTX wrote on 08/07/11 at 12:39:43:
Poor thread fell vicitm to a pointless war that no one will ever win or change anyones mind about.

Wrench I hope you got the answers you were looking for.  If not there are a lot of threads about what you asked.  There is a lot of great info on this site.  Hit the search tab at the top and dont forget to change the search date range.  I also find that anytime I put a question into google about this bike it returns several threads from this site to me that is almost a faster way to search.

Quite correct.  Baseless, strongly held opinions will overrule facts every time.

I got one question for you GB, if caps is equivalent to shouting, larger text is what?  Talking louder?  Why would you need to talk louder than every one else?  So you are noticed more than anyone else?

And you got the gall to say anyone who wants a louder than stock pipe so they'll be noticed more often is factless?

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #31 - 08/07/11 at 13:58:10

Okay I have 1 more thing to add to this before I start cleaning the crap off my muffler again..

Where are the statistics of accidents that were prevented because of a louder muffler or a bright green vest?

I really don't know why I'm concerned with this at all because my bikes not very loud and I mostly wear black.. at least the "facts" and "research" say I'm safe Cheesy

(I hope I didn't just jinx myself)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 08/07/11 at 15:35:45

The one time I got hit,.. was couple of years ago,...  
I was riding a Harley, twice the size of my Savage, with full factory lighting, saddlebags, windshield, and loud pipes...
The guy T-boned me, dead center of his grill, running a stop sign... he told the cops, he never saw or heard me...
... he didn't even stop when he hit me, he ran me over,... no skid marks,... they winched the truck off of the bike...

It really hurt,... so I take this topic kinda' personal...
If you like loud pipes... run loud pipes...
... just don't expect to be seen or heard...  

That's all I got to say... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 08/07/11 at 21:23:15

verslagen1 wrote on 08/07/11 at 13:48:34:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/07/11 at 13:25:12:
MrBrownTX wrote on 08/07/11 at 12:39:43:
Poor thread fell vicitm to a pointless war that no one will ever win or change anyones mind about.

Wrench I hope you got the answers you were looking for.  If not there are a lot of threads about what you asked.  There is a lot of great info on this site.  Hit the search tab at the top and dont forget to change the search date range.  I also find that anytime I put a question into google about this bike it returns several threads from this site to me that is almost a faster way to search.

Quite correct.  Baseless, strongly held opinions will overrule facts every time.

I got one question for you GB, if caps is equivalent to shouting, larger text is what?  Talking louder?  Why would you need to talk louder than every one else?  So you are noticed more than anyone else?

And you got the gall to say anyone who wants a louder than stock pipe so they'll be noticed more often is factless?

Larger caps may be equivalent to shouting, but larger text is there for old-guy-eyes.  It's simply a matter of making it easier to read.  When I respond to the various posts here, I copy and paste all of it to a Word document with even larger characters so I can see it easily,... then I put it back to the original poster's size, and size 14 for me.

Yeah, I have lots of gall.  I've been counseled about that all my life.

Oh, yeah, you started off your post saying you had one question for me,... I counted five questions.

Wink                                Grin  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 08/07/11 at 21:27:25

did you know that if you want larger text you can press and hold the ctrl button and turn the wheel on the mouse to make the text larger or smaller?

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #35 - 08/07/11 at 21:30:32

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/11 at 15:35:45:
The one time I got hit,.. was couple of years ago,...  
I was riding a Harley, twice the size of my Savage, with full factory lighting, saddlebags, windshield, and loud pipes...
The guy T-boned me, dead center of his grill, running a stop sign... he told the cops, he never saw or heard me...
... he didn't even stop when he hit me, he ran me over,... no skid marks,... they winched the truck off of the bike...

It really hurt,... so I take this topic kinda' personal...
If you like loud pipes... run loud pipes...
... just don't expect to be seen or heard...  

That's all I got to say... Huh...

Your sad story is one of the basic points in the AMA articles.  Loud pipes don't do much good for peabrains who aren't paying attention.  

Even if someone thought it was a good idea to make a big racket all the time, that someone would be quite the fool if he expected the obnoxious noises to protect him,... to think he was never going to be dethroned just because some people notice the racket.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #36 - 08/07/11 at 21:33:01

verslagen1 wrote on 08/07/11 at 21:27:25:
did you know that if you want larger text you can press and hold the ctrl button and turn the wheel on the mouse to make the text larger or smaller?

Yes.  I know that.  It also changes the composition of the stuff on the screen (acts like a magnifying glass), which I prefer to leave alone.  The Opera browser has a slider in the lower right hand corner of the screen that does the same thing.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #37 - 08/07/11 at 21:49:25

I got all that crap off my muffler...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #38 - 08/07/11 at 21:52:13

Built2Last wrote on 08/07/11 at 13:58:10:
Okay I have 1 more thing to add to this before I start cleaning the crap off my muffler again..

Where are the statistics of accidents that were prevented because of a louder muffler or a bright green vest?

I really don't know why I'm concerned with this at all because my bikes not very loud and I mostly wear black.. at least the "facts" and "research" say I'm safe Cheesy

(I hope I didn't just jinx myself)

Good point! There aren't any studies that show any lives were saved from loud pipes.  I will have to admit, though, there are also no studies that show any lives were lost from loud pipes.  The Hurt report, for example, didn't address the issue other than to say there was no proof of any effect one way or the other.

You also stated, "I get your point though Serowbot, distracted people are the problem but LOUDNESS will un-distract them."  If you are depending on this, you are a self correcting situation.

You also stated, "I have yet to almost change lanes on top of an ambulance or Harley Davidson.."  It's not YOU I'm worried about.   YOU have an appreciation for not running over motorcyclists.  The folks we are concerned about are the SFB's who float blissfully along texting or putting on makeup or listening to ground thumping noises they call music,... those folks are the ones that will run you down,... those folks are the ones that are unlikely to be distracted by obnoxious pipes.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #39 - 08/07/11 at 22:07:35

This has been a good discussion, I see it both ways.

Defensive driving is what they teach you to get your "M" class on your license...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 08/08/11 at 03:51:33

A lot of young boys have loud sub-woofers in their cars so they don't get run over.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #41 - 08/08/11 at 04:43:42

Built2Last wrote on 08/07/11 at 22:07:35:
This has been a good discussion, I see it both ways.

Defensive driving is what they teach you to get your "M" class on your license...

Excellent point.  Whether or not wear a loud-pipes-save-lives tattoo, you absolutely must play the "How're they going to kill me here, how're they going to kill me there?" game as a matter of survival.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 08/08/11 at 04:50:00

bill67 wrote on 08/08/11 at 03:51:33:
A lot of young boys have loud sub-woofers in their cars so they don't get run over.

Heh, heh, heh,....  They also have their cars shod with 3-foot diameter wheels with mirrors for spokes to get more attention.  

I'm sure the only reason they do that is so all the guys racing around on CS-1s don't accidentally crash into them.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #43 - 08/08/11 at 05:45:09

I hate ignorance, but lets pretend that loud stuff does nothing for saving lives !
So why does the law require sirens, and train whistles and horns and etc etc. ?
Never mind, I hate ignorant answers.  Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 08/08/11 at 06:05:30

Routy you convinced me I'm getting a train whistle for my S40.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner - pipes and decel popping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.