Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New owner - pipes and decel popping (Read 494 times)
wrench13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New owner - pipes and decel popping
08/05/11 at 08:11:00

Just picked up a '02 Savage for my kid to learn on.  I used to ride a
'truder 1400, seems like this engine is 1/2 that engine, pretty cool.

Question 1) Anyone run theirs with the stock header pipe only ( sans muffler)?  Looking for more loudness for safelty sake and maybe a bit more preformance.  Looks like I could just take the muffler off, put in pro-pipe baffle and perhaps re-jet.

Question 2) I rode her home yesterday, about 30 miles on the slab. Bike pops on decel, like its got an exhaust leak. Normal for this bike or not?  If normal, what can be done to eliminate or reduce it?

Thanks people!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New owner - pipes and decel popping
Reply #1 - 08/05/11 at 09:42:49

If you are concerned about a little popping,... I really don't recommend going to an open pipe...

I don't recommend going to an open pipe anyway...
Way too loud,.. and you'll burn your exhaust valves...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 08/05/11 at 10:33:54

The decel popping is normal, and it will pop when you turn off the engine (on an all stock bike). At least that's what mine did (2005 LS650 all stock when I got it) and the guy at the Suzuki shop told me it was normal.

Also, I'd recommend getting a license plate frame, because the vibration made mine crack and almost fall off. The previous owner of my bike thought someone stole his license plate... lol, it still had the corners attached to the bike  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/05/11 at 11:19:42

wrench13 wrote on 08/05/11 at 08:11:00:
Question 1) Anyone run theirs with the stock header pipe only ( sans muffler)?  Looking for more loudness for safelty sake and maybe a bit more preformance.  Looks like I could just take the muffler off, put in pro-pipe baffle and perhaps re-jet.

Question 2) I rode her home yesterday, about 30 miles on the slab. Bike pops on decel, like its got an exhaust leak. Normal for this bike or not?  If normal, what can be done to eliminate or reduce it?

+1 to what Sero says
performance will suffer, mpg will suffer, neighbors will suffer, the kid will suffer due to lost hearing, cops knowing where he's at every time he gets on the bike, but then so will you.   Grin

couple of options to make it a little louder... put a dyna muf on or drill out the stock muf.

A little decel popping is normal, excessive may indicate an air leak or a dirty carb.  Check the header bolts and muf clamp.  Or clean the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #4 - 08/05/11 at 13:41:26

Or get a jardine

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 14:09:12

wrench13 says, "Looking for more loudness for safelty sake "

Incredible there are still folks who subscribe to this nonsense.  

Hey, wrench, a short search will turn up a few threads that debunk the idea about loud pipes saving lives.

The popping on decel is a common prob, and, assuming the exhaust system is tight, a few carb adjustments can fix most of that.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/06/11 at 22:38:31

Gyrobob wrote on 08/05/11 at 14:09:12:

Incredible there are still folks who subscribe to this nonsense.  Hey, wrench, a short search will turn up a few threads that debunk the idea about loud pipes saving lives.

The popping on decel is a common prob, and, assuming the exhaust system is tight, a few carb adjustments can fix most of that.

Call it nonsense if you want but my real world riding experience proves the theory of "loud pipes save lives" to me.
First year I had the savage i was run off the road several times, and no it wasnt due to lack of riding experience as this isnt my first bike and the likely reason i was never hurt or did damage to the bike is because i could clearly tell what the offending a-hole was about to do. I saw ahead of time and chose the ditch over the hood.
Drivers often simply werent aware of me being there.
I've installed a SE muffler and for the last 2 years i havent been run off the road since.(until a couple weeks ago. 16 year old who just got his liscence didnt even look my direction before whipping out of his driveway into fairly heavy traffic. I was able to swerve around him and get past with about 4 inches to spare. Needless to say I stopped the bike in the middle of the lane right in front of him and gave him a few choice words).
Not only are drivers more aware of me, so are the deer. I literally watch them scatter at the sound of me from 50 yards away.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/06/11 at 23:36:32

+1 on what burny says and my experience replicates his to a tee.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/07/11 at 03:50:31

BurnPgh wrote on 08/06/11 at 22:38:31:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/05/11 at 14:09:12:

Incredible there are still folks who subscribe to this nonsense.  Hey, wrench, a short search will turn up a few threads that debunk the idea about loud pipes saving lives.

Call it nonsense if you want but my real world riding experience proves the theory of "loud pipes save lives" to me.
First year I had the savage i was run off the road several times, and no it wasnt due to lack of riding experience as this isnt my first bike and the likely reason i was never hurt or did damage to the bike is because i could clearly tell what the offending a-hole was about to do. I saw ahead of time and chose the ditch over the hood.
Drivers often simply werent aware of me being there.
I've installed a SE muffler and for the last 2 years i havent been run off the road since.(until a couple weeks ago. 16 year old who just got his liscence didnt even look my direction before whipping out of his driveway into fairly heavy traffic. I was able to swerve around him and get past with about 4 inches to spare. Needless to say I stopped the bike in the middle of the lane right in front of him and gave him a few choice words).
Not only are drivers more aware of me, so are the deer. I literally watch them scatter at the sound of me from 50 yards away.

ok   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 08/07/11 at 06:43:59

verslagen1 wrote on 08/06/11 at 23:36:32:

+2.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 08/07/11 at 06:59:51

arteacher wrote on 08/07/11 at 06:43:59:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/06/11 at 23:36:32:

+2.

you can lead a horse to water,.....

Do some real research on the issue and you'll learn the fallacy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/07/11 at 07:43:05

Gyrobob wrote on 08/07/11 at 06:59:51:
you can lead a horse to water,.....

+1

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/07/11 at 07:49:16

And just how would research figure that out ??
x4

While loud exhaust scares the he!! outta me now and then, I lotsa times have heard a bike long before I saw them along side my cage, and just may have prevented me from a dead spot move over. I hate loud bikes, but I do believe they could be more safe than unsafe.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 08/07/11 at 07:50:46

+2 Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/07/11 at 07:59:00

Put loud pipes on your car you will be much saver.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner - pipes and decel popping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.