two stalls in one day (Read 143 times)
danthewrenchingman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
two stalls in one day
08/04/11 at 18:07:40

so i replaced the main and pilot jets in my carburetor and while riding today it only stalled on me twice. I did change the gasoline i was using. before the change i used 93 and after i put in 87, could there it be the idle mixture screw that needs a twist?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: two stalls in one day
Reply #1 - 08/04/11 at 18:24:51

I would check that. Hopefully it has already had the plug drilled out. If not, read the thread "BIG OOOPS". If it has been drilled out already, I would screw it all the way in until it bottoms out (**Gently**) then back it out 1 1/2 turns. Try that. Go in 1/4 turn increments if more needed until running smooth.
Other method: with it running and warmed up, slowly turn screw in, until idle starts to drop. Stop there and back it out until idle levels off, about 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Good to go.
You may have to play with the idle speed screw some, also. Don't know if you have a tach or not, but about 800-1000 rpm's idling is about normal.

Also, if you go to the tech section, look under index. There is a whole section of Carb stuff from specs to rebuilding to tuning. A wealth of knowledge.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/04/11 at 18:29:48

+1...  if you end up with best idle at less than 1 turn out... you probably should go a step smaller on the pilot jet...

< 1   ... go smaller...
> 3   ... go bigger...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/04/11 at 21:32:52

You replaced the jets and you didn't adjust it?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/06/11 at 15:09:31

danthewrenchingman wrote on 08/04/11 at 18:07:40:
so i replaced the main and pilot jets in my carburetor and while riding today it only stalled on me twice. I did change the gasoline i was using. before the change i used 93 and after i put in 87, could there it be the idle mixture screw that needs a twist?

Changing the octane will make no difference at all, unless your bike is detonating (pinging) at full throttle on 87,... which means there is something wrong with your bike.

If you bike runs better or worse when switching octane (assuming no pinging), it is because of stale or dirty or "watered" or "alcoholed" gas in the last fillup, not because of the diff in octane.

Generally, at most busy gas stations:
 -- regular is the freshest
 -- premium is almost as fresh as regular
 -- mid-grade is usually pretty stale, avoid it if at all possible

BTW, premium has less (or at least no more) energy in it than regular.  Its only advantage is that is has more resistance to pinging, thereby allowing more advanced timing, which usually gets more power.  If you vehicle was designed for regular, using premium only diverts more of your hard-earned pay to gasoline industry.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 08/06/11 at 15:55:00

Most pumps (up here anyway) just mix regular and premium to get mid grade. Regular is by far the most common, as premium is $6.28 a gallon today in London Ontario. People who have the money to buy the kind of car that uses premium are the loudest complainers about gas prices.
So their are only two tanks. The regular gets filled every two or three days at a busy station, but the premium only once a month, if that. So they put crap in the premium to help it store longer. So premium is the worst of the three.
I once had a Volvo that was designed to run on premium. I installed a thicker head gasket to reduce the compression and retarded the timing a bit. Worked a charm.
The really good high octane stuff is at the airport. A lot of muscle car guys buy their gas there.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 08/06/11 at 18:11:25

arteacher wrote on 08/06/11 at 15:55:00:
..........I once had a Volvo that was designed to run on premium. I installed a thicker head gasket to reduce the compression and retarded the timing a bit. Worked a charm.
The really good high octane stuff is at the airport. A lot of muscle car guys buy their gas there.

Most cars built over the last few years designed for premium can sense if lower octane fuel is used.  It retards the timing a bit, and adjusts mixtures, etc.  Therefore, you get less horsepower and worse mileage, somewhat negating the effect of using cheaper fuel.

I hope you aren't saying that people are putting avgas in their cars.  That will destroy the sensors,... a very expensive repair.  100LL avgas has LOTS of lead in it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/06/11 at 18:17:38

Premium burns slower so you will have less power in S40. Its like retarding the spark.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/06/11 at 18:56:43

bill67 wrote on 08/06/11 at 18:17:38:
Premium burns slower so you will have less power in S40. Its like retarding the spark.

Not true.  The burn rate and energy content of regular and premium are pretty much the same.  The only real difference between the two (not counting cost) is that premium has more stuff in it to suppress detonation (pinging).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/06/11 at 19:04:43

Gyrobob wrote on 08/06/11 at 18:56:43:

Not true.  The burn rate and energy content of regular and premium are pretty much the same.  The only real difference between the two (not counting cost) is that premium has more stuff in it to suppress detonation (pinging).

Well, Dangitt G/Bob,, I sure thot Ol Bill was right about that,,
Bill,, I hope you can prove that,, thats what I THOT Id learned from all th Gas/octane rating threads..

BOY Bill,, !! I Better not be wrong on this!   Ill send a SWAT team in on you to steal your Klotz..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 08/06/11 at 19:43:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/06/11 at 19:04:43:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/06/11 at 18:56:43:

Well, Dangitt G/Bob,, I sure thot Ol Bill was right about that,,
Bill,, I hope you can prove that,, thats what I THOT Id learned from all th Gas/octane rating threads..

BOY Bill,, !! I Better not be wrong on this!   Ill send a SWAT team in on you to steal your Klotz..

Now don’t be pickin on Ol Bill.  He’s just fallen victim to a very common misconception.

There are lots of those kinds of misconceptions, some of which are even regarded as absolute fact:

-- Pickups get better mileage with the tailgate down
 -- Premium has more power in it than regular
 -- Higher taxes means more revenue
 -- More gun laws lowers the crime rate
 -- An airplane with the motor not running will glide further with the prop windmilling
 -- Single weight oil has a higher film strength than multi-weight oil
 -- The best way to break in an engine is to baby it for the first 1,000 miles
 -- Global warming
 -- Loud pipes save lives
 -- Sidewall pressure is the recommended pressure for any given tire
 -- Changing your oil every 2,000 miles will make your car/bike/whatever last longer

This could turn into another thread, eh?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/06/11 at 20:25:45

Oh no, don't tell me you don't beleive that global warming is really happening?
And I would think that loud pipes save some lives. Maybe not all, but some.... Shocked
Sidewall pressure is the recommended pressure on any given tire.....according to the tire manufacturer. Most vehicles have a recommended pressure according to the vehicle manufacturer. Buy tires that fall into the vehicle manufacturers limits. ( As in: don't put a "D" rated tire on a Porsche. And don't put an "S" rated tire on a 4x4 diesel pickup.)

Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 08/06/11 at 20:47:54

drums1 wrote on 08/06/11 at 20:25:45:
Oh no, don't tell me you don't beleive that global warming is really happening?
And I would think that loud pipes save some lives. Maybe not all, but some.... Shocked
Sidewall pressure is the recommended pressure on any given tire.....according to the tire manufacturer. Most vehicles have a recommended pressure according to the vehicle manufacturer. Buy tires that fall into the vehicle manufacturers limits. ( As in: don't put a "D" rated tire on a Porsche. And don't put an "S" rated tire on a 4x4 diesel pickup.)

Smiley

You might have misinterpreted some the facts relating to those old wives' tales.

Yes, global warming is not happening,.. not from anything homosapiens is doing, anyway.

You may think loud pipes save lives.  You would be subscribing to yet another old wives’ tale.

Sidewall pressure is not a recommended pressure.  It is only the pressure the manufacturer says the tire needs to support a load the nanny-state requires it to support.  It has very little to do with anything.  IF you happen to fill the tire to the pressure on the sidewall, then you can feel okay with carrying the load printed there.  IF you put in more pressure, you can carry more load.  If you take out some pressure, you should carry less load. As you say, the vehicle manufacturer has a better recommendation for tire pressure, and that recommendation has nothing to do with the arbitrary number shown on the sidewall.  Speed rating is a whole ‘nuther swamp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › two stalls in one day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.