Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speedometer Change Digital (Read 245 times)
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Speedometer Change Digital
08/04/11 at 17:28:38

Hi all, I've had to take my speedometer apart due to a broken needle, I glued it back together, however pretty shoody, I want to purchase this digital speedometer, it looks like it will fit into the bikes housing, however do you think I will have to do something different in hooking up the cable?  Anyone do this before...I'm inquiring before I purchase.
Thanks,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Digital-Cockpit-Speedometer-Tachometer-Gauge-S...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Speedometer Change Digital
Reply #1 - 08/05/11 at 06:13:09

From the description, it looks like it works from a magnet and hall sensor rather than a cable. That would mean you'd need to cap off the connection at engine case and remove the cable. Or I suppose you could keep the now unneeded cable attached to the engine and put something like a balloon over the other end.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 08/05/11 at 06:42:37

Is it waterproof?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 08/05/11 at 07:22:03

arteacher wrote on 08/05/11 at 06:42:37:
Is it waterproof?

Good question since it's described as a cockpit speedometer rather than a motorcycle speedometer.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/05/11 at 07:27:06

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll send a note to the seller, find out if it is waterproof

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 07:42:43

Whatever you end up doing, brush up on the dmv speedo change requirements.  And as a backup, strip the speedo down to just the basics and keep it hooked up for the odometer.  The veypor I had would reset under various circumstances.  So the aftermarket speedos would have to be in question as to the actual mileage.

WWW   IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 08:10:34

I can't see the link, but I'd check trailtech.com.  Their "Vapor" speedo/tach is a great, lightweight, backlighted digital instrument set for street or dirt bikes.  I've been running one for about a year, and I recommend it.  About $129 complete.

I tried to add an image of my setup, but this site makes it maddenly impossible.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/05/11 at 11:33:18

check the tech section for how to post pic's

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/06/11 at 05:23:26

I checked that ad out,, Looks nice,, it says Motorcycle in the ad, BUT,, asking costs nothing.
I think you can just leave the old speedo hooked up & keep the Odometer working. Theyre nice to have, so you have an idea when youll be running low on gas, & helpful when its time to sell..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/06/11 at 07:25:00

Well the seller replied and said it is waterproof and is for motorcycles, yeah the cockpit thing threw me off, but it looks like an easy replacement for the old one...with that said, due to my location and age of the bike and market, tracking the miles and whatnot removal is no big deal.....hell I"m just waiting for my new jets to arrive from ebay...F!!!! I hate my carburetor.

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #10 - 08/06/11 at 22:54:59

if u need a stock replacement i have an extra with very low miles make an offer just hook a drill to the cable and add miles as needed to match current reading

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
Iono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/07/11 at 07:28:55

Thanks RadRacer, but I made the purchase, we'll see how it goes, now if anyone knows where I can buy a carb that would be outstanding as I get this funny feeling the jets may not do the trick...we will see.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #12 - 08/09/11 at 07:22:51

Have you considered an electronic bicycle computer? I am using the Sigma BC 1106 (Google it). Waterproof, lightweight, and about one-fourth the cost of that cockpit speedometer you are considering. It's got total miles, total hours, trip miles, trip hours, average speed, max speed, and clock. Make sure to use a wired bicycle computer instead of a wireless one to avoid electrical interference with the coil. Photos are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/gmbhsg/SuzukiSavagePublic?authuser=0&feat=direct...

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:28:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedometer Change Digital

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.