Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripped screw?  Read before drilling it out. (Read 148 times)
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Stripped screw?  Read before drilling it out.
08/04/11 at 04:43:59

This may be old news, but it was news to me.  Hope it saves you lots of grief.

I had stripped the Phillips head on a screw in my gear shift mechanism.  And yes, it happened because I was impatient and didn't wait until I could find the impact driver.  How many times do I have to learn this lesson?

Anyway, there was no way to cut a slot in the screw head, and the existing Phillips slots were too buggered for the now-found impact driver to work.  I was about to drill out the screw and then at least have to clean out the threads with a tap.  More likely that I would mess up the threads in the block and have to redrill and retap the hole.

In an inspired moment (thanks, Tecate), rather than drill out the entire screw, I drilled a hole about 1/2 the diameter of the screw (the screw, not the head of the screw) and about 1/3 the length of the screw.  I hoped that this hole would give the point of a Phillips impact bit somewhere to go rather than just bottoming out before its sharp edges could engage with the screw head.

A couple of whacks on the driver and it came out beautifully, in one piece.  In the picture you can see the 4 marks from the impact bit.

Pointers:  1) Don't make the hole any bigger than 1/2 the screw's diameter.  This way you leave plenty of metal and you're less likely to just twist the head off.  2)  Use a relatively pointy bit, to insure that the point can go down the hole a ways, enough to let the edges of the bit engage.

« Last Edit: 08/04/11 at 05:45:43 by runrun »  
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Stripped screw?  Read before drilling it out.
Reply #1 - 08/04/11 at 06:16:41

runrun wrote on 08/04/11 at 04:43:59:
This may be old news, but it was news to me.  Hope it saves you lots of grief.

I had stripped the Phillips head on a screw in my gear shift mechanism.  And yes, it happened because I was impatient and didn't wait until I could find the impact driver.  How many times do I have to learn this lesson?

Anyway, there was no way to cut a slot in the screw head, and the existing Phillips slots were too buggered for the now-found impact driver to work.  I was about to drill out the screw and then at least have to clean out the threads with a tap.  More likely that I would mess up the threads in the block and have to redrill and retap the hole.

In an inspired moment (thanks, Tecate), rather than drill out the entire screw, I drilled a hole about 1/2 the diameter of the screw (the screw, not the head of the screw) and about 1/3 the length of the screw.  I hoped that this hole would give the point of a Phillips impact bit somewhere to go rather than just bottoming out before its sharp edges could engage with the screw head.

A couple of whacks on the driver and it came out beautifully, in one piece.  In the picture you can see the 4 marks from the impact bit.

Pointers:  1) Don't make the hole any bigger than 1/2 the screw's diameter.  This way you leave plenty of metal and you're less likely to just twist the head off.  2)  Use a relatively pointy bit, to insure that the point can go down the hole a ways, enough to let the edges of the bit engage.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u86lejl8n_8/TjqDhFZVjtI/AAAAAAAABJM/_6gj5b...

Or you could use a screw extractor

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/04/11 at 07:02:52

Or even try a Left Hand drill bit and revering drill motor. Or the neat drywall screw extractors I found at Sears. Have worked every time for me. A variety of styles both internal grabbing and eternal screw head grabbing. YEMV. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #3 - 08/04/11 at 07:31:08

In my experience, the extractors work great for wood screws, not so well for frozen/Loctited machine screws.

Given how hard I had to hit the other screw with the impact driver, the screw extractors I have wouldn't have made any impression at all.  And I doubt that even my 18v drill (especially since its chuck would be trying to grip the round shaft of an extractor) would have been able to budge it.

It was the screw from hell.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 08/04/11 at 07:45:23

runrun wrote on 08/04/11 at 07:31:08:
In my experience, the extractors work great for wood screws, not so well for frozen/Loctited machine screws.

Given how hard I had to hit the other screw with the impact driver, the screw extractors I have wouldn't have made any impression at all.  And I doubt that even my 18v drill (especially since its chuck would be trying to grip the round shaft of an extractor) would have been able to budge it.

It was the screw from hell.

Another thing to try with your 18v drill, is to loosen the clutch and and let it vibrate the screw while putting a lot of torque on it.

Another trick I used one time was to simultaneously vibrate the screw head with an engraver, while torquing the screw.  I flattened one of the engraver bit so it would buzz the head of the screw. It took two guys, and some heat, and some ATF used as penetrating oil, and a little time, but after a couple of minutes, the screw backed out without munging up the head.

One other trick:  heat and cold at the same time.  
 -- Heat the whole area as much as you can without damaging anything, then have one guy torquing the screw as hard as he can while the other sprays the head of the screw with one of those compressed gaseous dust removers.  
 -- The stuff coming out of those dusters is very very cold, and for a few seconds you'll have the screw contracting from the heated-up surrounding metal.  
 -- We do this in avionics sometimes where things like impact drivers are way too brutal.

« Last Edit: 08/04/11 at 12:34:10 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #5 - 08/04/11 at 09:43:24

Excellent!  More tricks never hurt.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/04/11 at 09:53:58

How many times do I have to learn this lesson?

114 times... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #7 - 08/04/11 at 16:19:39

Serowbot wrote on 08/04/11 at 09:53:58:
 How many times do I have to learn this lesson?

114 times... Huh...

Crap!  I still have 60 to go?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/04/11 at 16:58:45

If you can stop with the screwdriver when it starts to cam out of the slots, you can use a pin punch & drive the meat back where it came from, BUt. If you spin the driver & sling the metal off the head of the screw, well,, yer screwed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/04/11 at 17:56:16

I could get that screw out of there ,It might take me a 114 trys but i could do it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:38:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped screw?  Read before drilling it out.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.