mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Re: Shorty Muffler Install
Reply #15 - 08/05/11 at 18:45:01

Thanks! It's been a great learning experience. Thank god for my dremel and a metal cutting blade, because I think manually hacksawing the original header end would have taken hours.

I was afraid you might say that about the red sealant. darn, I so wanted to ride it a bit! But you're probably right, it might blow it out. :/

Only problem with one of these other clamps now is that I hope I can find one that can go on without having to take everything off again. I will do it if I have to, but I'd rather not.

Maybe I'll put the U-clamp on temporarily to help secure it while I work on getting a new clamp. I called my local HD dealer and they said all they have is a 2" clamp.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 08/06/11 at 19:06:45

mmosel wrote on 08/05/11 at 18:45:01:
Thanks! It's been a great learning experience. Thank god for my dremel and a metal cutting blade, because I think manually hacksawing the original header end would have taken hours.

I was afraid you might say that about the red sealant. darn, I so wanted to ride it a bit! But you're probably right, it might blow it out. :/

Only problem with one of these other clamps now is that I hope I can find one that can go on without having to take everything off again. I will do it if I have to, but I'd rather not.

Maybe I'll put the U-clamp on temporarily to help secure it while I work on getting a new clamp. I called my local HD dealer and they said all they have is a 2" clamp.

The red sealant is only good for maybe 400 degrees F sustained.  I know the package probably says 500 with 600 intermittent, but this is pretty tough duty for the sealant,.... hi sustained temp, lots of vibration, pressure pulsing, etc.

The exhaust header near the head will be in the 800-900 degree range at full throttle.  I wonder what the temp will be at that joint on a hot day going up a slight hill at a steady 70mph.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #17 - 08/06/11 at 20:33:20

If it fits tight and is properly seated and clamped, there is no need for silicone sealant.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 08/06/11 at 20:39:09

drums1 wrote on 08/06/11 at 20:33:20:
If it fits tight and is properly seated and clamped, there is no need for silicone sealant.

Zackly

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #19 - 08/07/11 at 01:01:38

Yeah, I'm not sure how well the sealant will hold. The gold stuff is only rated 50 degrees higher.

The muffler itself is sealed great. I guess I'll find out soon enough how the rest of it holds up. I still want to replace the one clamp, but I don't know yet which one can go on without taking the whole thing off again. If the sealant fails, then I'd have to take it off anyway.

I'm riding tomorrow! Can't wait to hear it open up.

I also wonder if wrapping the header pipe will make that joint hotter?
Also, would wrapping the joint eliminate leakage if the seal failed?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 08/07/11 at 03:44:19

mmosel wrote on 08/07/11 at 01:01:38:
Yeah, I'm not sure how well the sealant will hold. The gold stuff is only rated 50 degrees higher.

The muffler itself is sealed great. I guess I'll find out soon enough how the rest of it holds up. I still want to replace the one clamp, but I don't know yet which one can go on without taking the whole thing off again. If the sealant fails, then I'd have to take it off anyway.

I'm riding tomorrow! Can't wait to hear it open up.

I also wonder if wrapping the header pipe will make that joint hotter?
Also, would wrapping the joint eliminate leakage if the seal failed?

I still want to replace the one clamp   Good idea.  The skinny hose clamp doesn't have much clamping force, and it won't stay tight with the high heat, vibration, and repeated heating/cooling cycles.

If the sealant fails, then I'd have to take it off anyway.  I wish I could be more encouraging, but I fear you will get more practice at exhaust system disassembly.

I also wonder if wrapping the header pipe will make that joint hotter?  Yes, it will do that thing.  Wrapping the header does hold heat in,.. that is why header sweaters were invented!  Racers started doing it because the exhaust gas stays hotter, reducing its viscosity so it flows easier through the rest of the system.

Also, would wrapping the joint eliminate leakage if the seal failed? No.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #21 - 08/07/11 at 04:15:02

Thanks Gyrobob.

Ok I just scored the score of the month:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230623884094

I suggest anyone who might need a clamp like this to jump on this deal, because it's the cheapest you'll find, plus with free shipping.

So if this red sealant is a fail waiting to happen, what do you recommend then instead of the red or gold stuff?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 08/07/11 at 04:24:27

mmosel wrote on 08/07/11 at 04:15:02:
Thanks Gyrobob.

Ok I just scored the score of the month:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230623884094

I suggest anyone who might need a clamp like this to jump on this deal, because it's the cheapest you'll find, plus with free shipping.

So if this red sealant is a fail waiting to happen, what do you recommend then instead of the red or gold stuff?

Those clamps ARE a great deal.

As Drums1 offered, a proper joint needs no sealant.  

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #23 - 08/07/11 at 04:50:55

Yeah. The segway pipe can clamp down pretty tight, but it has slits in it. I'm not sure a clamp alone can close it all the way up, it's thick metal. I wish the inside of the pipe was just a little smaller. It's not super loose or anything, but I'll feel better with some sort of sealant. I guess the DEI spray sealant might work on it. They claim a 1500 degree tolerance.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 08/07/11 at 05:17:49

mmosel wrote on 08/07/11 at 04:50:55:
Yeah. The segway pipe can clamp down pretty tight, but it has slits in it. I'm not sure a clamp alone can close it all the way up, it's thick metal. I wish the inside of the pipe was just a little smaller. It's not super loose or anything, but I'll feel better with some sort of sealant. I guess the DEI spray sealant might work on it. They claim a 1500 degree tolerance.

How much smaller?  Or,.. how much larger does the inner pipe have to be?

Muffler shops (and some racing shops) have equipment to expand or shrink tubing.  

Or you could try one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-1-1-2-Tail-Pipe-Expander-Kit-Exhaust-/300585705304?pt...

One other thought would be to shim it with some thin sheet steel.

The overall effort should be to get the pieces to just barely fit.  If you have to literally force the pieces together to get them to fit over one another, you are on the right track.  (Almost an interference fit)  Then when you apply a heavy clamp, it becomes solid.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #25 - 08/07/11 at 10:36:43

IMHO those clamps look to be very thin and not strong enough to clamp the muffler.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #26 - 08/07/11 at 16:50:33

The muffler fit is spot on, super tight and the chrome clamp is great for that.

I was surprised by how much a simple hose clamp was able to tighten down the pipe where it connects to the header pipe. I think the new T-Bolt clamps will easily be able to tighten it down enough. They will provide more even pressure than the chrome clamp on the muffler itself. But if for some reason the T-Bolt clamp can't do it, then I'll replace it with something else.

I'll post some better pics of the clamps when they arrive, and report back on how well they actually 'clamp'.

Oh and I don't think I could expand the end of the header pipe, it's very thick, double walled hardened steel. If anything I'd get the transition pipe squeezed smaller, if they can even do that. Time will tell though if that is even needed.

I'm going to put the U-Clamp on for now, until the new clamps arrive.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #27 - 08/07/11 at 19:57:36

My bike currently. U-clamp in place for the time being.

I rode it downtown today and it is loud. People were definitely 'noticing' it as I cruised around. Sounds very good through the gears and when accelerating. Nice rumbly sound when slowing down as well. No loud backfires at all yet. If I could dampen it by about 10 to 15% I think it would be absolutely perfect. It definitely sounds like a bike with some power now!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:28:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shorty Muffler Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.