mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Shorty Muffler Install
08/03/11 at 20:25:38

Ok I hate posting this because there are a trillion muffler posts it seems. Forgive me for adding yet one more muffler post.  Shocked

I just have a couple of quick questions.

I'm trying to install a Shorty Reverse Cone muffler. It came with a cool 3 piece reducer and I only needed the outer sleeve to make it fit perfectly.
However, it seems I'm a bit screwed without the proper 'bend' in the adapter area. I can't seem to get the header on straight and flat against the engine without seriously muscling it on there. I figure that thing needs to line up just right. So, do I just finesse the hell out of it, or do I need to get a proper bended adapter? It's a shame because it just slips on there nice and snug. I don't want to do any damage to the current pipes though.

So, am I stuck going to a muffler shop? And, does anyone know the proper angle off hand? 15 degrees or something?

I had this fantasy that I'd be able to just do it in one go. I was so close too. Oh well, I guess i won't be firing it up tonight.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Shorty Muffler Install
Reply #1 - 08/03/11 at 20:38:15

Ya that 1 little bend sure throws things off, eh? I used to work at a Car X, so I just rode bike to work and bent a short extension to fit, while on lunch. I'm guessing any muffler shop with a pipe bender can make you one up fairly cheap. Best to ride bike there, with the muffler too, so he can match it up as he makes it. Not sure what the exact angle is.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/03/11 at 21:43:54

Any idea what a fair price for a small adapter like this might be?

Ok looks like it needs to be 7 degrees or something.

Hopefully no more than 10-15 bucks.

Man, that stock muffler is a tank! It looks kinda like a bomb in a way. Feels like one too. But it sounds like, a sewing machine. Tongue
( it's not THAT bad )

« Last Edit: 08/04/11 at 03:17:09 by mmosel »  

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/04/11 at 06:20:59

I would think no more than $20. I agree with the sewing machine comparison. Mine never had an OE muffler since I've had it, but I have heard one--just recently. I would go straight pipe before OE muffler.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/04/11 at 07:18:37

ive paid $0 > $5  for 1 3/4"  X 7" pipe adaptor with 10 deg bend

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 08/04/11 at 07:22:59

Here's a pic of the one I got when I put on a Softail pipe.

7 inch straight and 7 inch with about an 8 degree bend

Worked ok for me and allows for you to do some minor adjustments in twisting the adapter & headpipe some to get the right angle to mount the pipe. Not sure exactly how things will line up with the muffler you've got, but it's a cheap starting point.

Also, if you take the header and the pipe to the muffler shop with you they will be able to match the ID and OD of each pipe as needed so no additional adapter sleeve is required.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/04/11 at 17:30:05

Ok. Got a pipe bent! Found a local shop, the guys gave it to me for free.
Hopefully the bend is enough. I have to hacksaw off a little bit of the header pipe. And I need to figure out how to clamp the bigger end properly. I might have to hacksaw a slit into it. It's tight but not that tight.

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/04/11 at 23:17:16

Ok, well, I just busted the stock muffler clamp.

I shimmed it trying to squeeze the pipe and tighten it down onto the header. I cut some slots in the adapter so it would come together a bit, but the clamp just didn't have the strength. I tried another clamp and it couldn't tighten it either.

So what are you all using for clamps on these pipes? Should I just go for the ugly U clamp for automotive use?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 08/05/11 at 07:43:35

The ugly U-Bolts will work, but I would go for a Harley style 1 3/4" clamp.

I found a 2pack on ebay for like $12 when I got mine, you might have to shop around. Bot found some at a dollar store.

Here's what I found on ebay real quick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cobra-Stainless-T-Bolt-Exhaust-Clamp-1-75-ID-/...

Personally, I got this style:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rush-Exhaust-1-3-4-TORCA-EXHAUST-CLAMP-65283-/...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/05/11 at 16:16:22

Well, I picked up a U-clamp and also a standard stainless steel hose clamp. Any reason the hose clamp wouldn't be fine? It's stainless I think, which means the melting point is well over 2000 degrees F. I think it looks better than the ugly U-clamp.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 08/05/11 at 17:11:51

mmosel wrote on 08/05/11 at 16:16:22:
Well, I picked up a U-clamp and also a standard stainless steel hose clamp. Any reason the hose clamp wouldn't be fine? It's stainless I think, which means the melting point is well over 2000 degrees F. I think it looks better than the ugly U-clamp.

Might work, but probably does not have enough clamping strength to cinch down real tight to eliminate exhaust leaks.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/05/11 at 17:36:32

Ok I've got it all on. I'm transferring some pictures now.

The clamp is on but I still think I will have to replace it. I have a U clamp, but I'm not sure I want to use it or not, so ugly. I do plan on wrapping the header and segway pipe anyway, so that will cover the looks of it.

Hopefully it won't spring any leaks. So far it doesn't seem like there are any, but I've only started it and ran it for a few minutes.

Also not sure how hot this exhaust might get, so we'll see if the silicone gasket will hold.

Bike sounds loud, low and thumpy. Definitely something I'll have to get used to! I can always rewrap the baffle, apparently that can quieten it up, but not sure how, since the inside is almost wide open except for a small metal plate with holes in it. The baffle has holes along the inner wall of course, but I'm not sure how much sound they grab.

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/05/11 at 18:29:13

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 08/05/11 at 18:36:17

Looks Good!!!  Grin

Looks like you used the red sealant, if so I would let it cure overnight before running it at all.

I would recommend getting a second clamp like the one holding the muffler on rather than that pipe clamp just because I think it will hold much better. Overall I like it and think with the header wrapped all the way to the muffler it will look awesome.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #14 - 08/05/11 at 18:39:41

Excellent, I am glad you got that figured out!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:30:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shorty Muffler Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.