babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Blue Ridge Parkway
08/03/11 at 07:20:29

Considering trailering the bikes south on Friday (or maybe Saturday) to take a little ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  

So... what I would like to do is drive down I-77, find somewhere around Fancy Gap area and park the truck/trailer and jump on the bikes and ride the Parkway for the day.  What I hope someone can help me with is would it be better to head North or South on the Parkway from there??  I don't guess it really matters, but if anyone has experience they would like to share with me, I'd like to hear it.  We have several members in that area, so I figure a few have ridden there.      

And I've found the websites, maps, and all that "tourist" info, blah, blah.  I want to know what locals and my forum buddies have to say!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Blue Ridge Parkway
Reply #1 - 08/03/11 at 08:32:55

So ya gonna Ride the Dragon?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/03/11 at 09:08:22

Bring your camera with you -- take plenty of really great looking pictures.

We need all the help we can get with combating these upstart North West Ride folks with them trying to exclude all our old pictures from the contest.

Now, with Al bringing out all the clicks he did on the last trip and BabyHog clicking all her current stuff we may have us a fighting chance .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 08/03/11 at 09:09:20

Hey Piglet, don't forget the video..
You need video of you riding the
Dragon if you go.. Have a great
time, maybe some of the guys
can meet up with ya?
Looking forward to the video,
pics and ride report.. Hugs..Smiley kim

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/03/11 at 09:13:23

I drove South down the parkway from about the same area last year,  It was nice route, not too busy, gentle curves.   DOn't know how it is Northt of there.

I would prefer something like the skyline drive area myself, with more scenic overlooks.

flip a coin, that is how I decide some of my adventures.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 08/03/11 at 11:11:53

Yep, will definitely take plenty of video and pics.  Not going to ride the Dragon though.  Too far away for the quick trip I'm planning.  Still watching the weather though, so we'll see.  Its mine and Hubby's anniversary, so we want to do something special.  We went to Shenandoah (Skyline) one year for my birthday, but didn't have the bikes then.  Have always wanted to ride that on the bike, but its a bit more of a haul from home too.  Drove Blue Ridge many years ago and remember how beautiful it is, so that's where I'm leaning at the moment.

Coin flip may just decide it for us!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #6 - 08/03/11 at 18:28:15

If you get near the Skyline or where it connects with The Blue Ridge it is a Beautiful area...I live near there and love to ride on that stretch...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 08/03/11 at 19:01:37

Two of the last three years that I've driven down to the Tail of the dragon, I've stopped and spent a full day riding on skyline drive(camping two nights). Loved it and will probably do it again next year.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 08/05/11 at 17:04:20

I rode from wilkesboro,nc to fancy gap at the end of June. Great ride.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp210/rigidchop_photos/WHCM%202011/everyth...

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:23:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Blue Ridge Parkway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.