Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: BIG OOOOOPS
Reply #45 - 08/02/11 at 09:56:39

babyhog wrote on 08/02/11 at 08:59:58:
I have a question (read that as female asking a dumb mecahnical question lol) and I'm not even sure how to phrase it.  But if you've drilled through the screw, have you wallowed around and boogered any part of the threads too?  Or is the screw still protecting the threads?  I guess I'm wondering even if you get the screw out, is the hole too far gone for a replacement screw.

A very valid point.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #46 - 08/02/11 at 10:02:12

EJID wrote on 08/01/11 at 12:30:14:
OUCH!!!!

Looks like trouble...looks like the TEV screws have been damaged as well, but at least those should be able to be removed with pliers on the outside of the head.

Pliers are one option...
Much easier is to take your dremel with a cutting disk and make a slot and turn that into a slotted screw for removal and then replacing with hex head, or new stainless hardened screws Smiley
I had to do that with a few screws that got boogered when I was taking apart the carb for the first time. Idiots decided on the soft as butter screws for that carb.

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #47 - 08/02/11 at 17:08:43

Not a dumb question at all Babyhog. Cause that is exactly what happened.

Luckily the guy who built the bike for me, said he can fix it for me.

He is gonna drill out the remaining remnants of the screw. Then re-thread that hole and clean it up. Then replace my destroyed screw with one with a slightly bigger diameter head to take up the difference of re-threading. He said he has done it before and is 90% sure she can do it again.

If not, he has a OEM carb off a 07 Savage he is gonna slap on. He said he would charge me $100 for the carb, is that reasonable?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #48 - 08/02/11 at 17:45:20

The drill out thing, isn't gonna' work...  That's not really a "screw"... it's a threaded adjuster...  (see pic)...

$100 ain't bad for a carb,... keep the old one for parts, or sell it here to someone looking for parts... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #49 - 08/02/11 at 18:21:04

I thought the same thing. He said when he takes the carb apart he can clean all the remaining pieces of the screw out. Then use a tap to re-do the threads and use a slightly larger pilot screw.

I can tell you this, no matter what, I will NOT be screwing with anything before actually reading the procedure and jumping in and "screwing" something up.

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #50 - 08/02/11 at 18:45:36

But thank you much Serowbot and everyone else for taking the time to un-stupid me. I appreciate it!!

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #51 - 08/02/11 at 18:48:33

Boule’tard wrote on 08/02/11 at 09:36:44:
babyhog wrote on 08/02/11 at 08:59:58:
..But if you've drilled through the screw, have you wallowed around and boogered any part of the threads too?  Or is the screw still protecting the threads? .

AZSGT's photo isn't clear enough to really tell, therefore we're free to offer up armchair, manly solutions!  Cheesy

Here's what I'd do:

1) Order a new fuel screw.  If the old one is still airtight enough for the bike to run well, a new one can be made to work, albeit maybe with a little pipe thread compound or some of that silver anti-seize grease.

2) Take the carb out of the bike so you can get some good light on it, and any further tapping/drilling/picking can be done much more accurately.

3) Use a dental pick or fine needlenose pliers to dig out the remainder of the brass plug.

4) With the screw pointed down, blast out the hole with PBlaster or Seafoam DeepCreep so that any filings are washed out.  Pick out any stubborn filings with a toothpick.

5) Turn the screw/hole up vertical and fill it with the same pen.oil and let it sit for a day or so.

6) Get a small easy-out and tap it in with nothing heavier than a screwdriver handle.  Since it's brass you're tapping into (and little torque will be applied) you don't need an expensive easy-out.  Just get a cheap one from Autozone.

7) Unscrew the old boogered screw, install your new fuel screw, tune and go ride.

If any further drilling is needed to make the easy-out bite, get a left-handed drill bit and use a drill press to make sure the hole is dead center.  Even if your drilling is perfectly centered, you don't want the drill bit to bite and cram the screw all the way down.  That will mess up the seat that the screw/needle beds into.  So any drilling of the screw should be done counterclockwise.

Good luck.. this isn't as gripping as Serowbot's sink repair, but we still want to know what happens.

What if once the carb is off and apart, can I go through the ass end of that opening and clear everything from inside the carb instead of that tiny mucked up opening?

IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Reply #52 - 08/02/11 at 18:57:48

If you have a drill that goes both ways and a left handed drill bit, often the drill bit, as you drill, will bite into the messed up fastener and screw bit right out.

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #53 - 08/02/11 at 19:18:02

No stupid here...
We're all just in different stages of learning by mistakes...

Stuck things are always good for flood of ideas...
... and we love a challenge in this forum... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #54 - 08/03/11 at 04:36:44

AZSGT wrote on 08/01/11 at 12:05:04:
The bike is running ok. A little more poppy, a little more hesitant on the low end but it does that sometimes when the weather is really humid as it is now. So I can't tell.

I know this doesn't help you now, but I just have to throw in my penny's worth,.........................
From your 1st post,......says your bike is idling/running ok,......possibly running even better before you drilled into the screw?,......if so, a question arises of why you attempted to remove that plug in the first place. And then a 2nd question would be why you wouldn't just leave it alone, rather than take chance of farther damage that could for sure ruin a $400 carburator........costing at least $100 for a used one.

This all comes back to my consistent advice of,......
before hacking (call it whatever) a carb, have a good specific reason for doing so,......not just because you read it somewhere, or just because someone else did it, or just to see if you can change a little backfiring, or correct some other abnormal condition that is really causing the problem.

Not being an expert on this carb,......and using logical thinking only,....which means I could be wrong,.......
I'll still say.....the brass plug means that "normally" the screw under it never needs to be adjusted. Mine hasn't, and the only bikes I know personally (2 not on this forum) haven't either.

Just maybe this may save another hacking down the road some place ? Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #55 - 08/03/11 at 05:04:10

[quote}

..........I'll still say.....the brass plug means that "normally" the screw under it never needs to be adjusted. Mine hasn't, and the only bikes I know personally (2 not on this forum) haven't either.......

[/quote]

Normally I would agree, but the nanny-state is involved here.  The normal means of tuning these carbs has been taken away from us, because the peabrained liberals in the EPA have decided we are not to be allowed to adjust our own mixtures.  Often this results in absolutely no adjustment at all -- a fixed jet, so to speak.  At least in our case, the politically correct "fix" was just a plug over the normal adjuster,... a plug that can be removed.  

So, I don't agree with your theory that "the brass plug means that "normally" the screw under it never needs to be adjusted."  It DOES need to be adjusted.  There is no way a plain old carb like this can have one adjustment on the idle mixture that will work forever, and in all situations -- hot, cold, humid, high altitude, new motor, old-tired-motor, good gas, bad gas, clean carb, varnish-laden dirty carb, new carb, old-worn-out carb, etc.  This is not a computer-controlled fuel injection situation where all the mixtures are constantly adapted to existing conditions.

ooooops,... sorry for the term "peabrained liberals"...... it was redundant

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #56 - 08/03/11 at 08:12:59

As with older automotive carbs, a lot of them also had the mixture screw capped over. The purpose of that, as I always understood it, was so the unknowing customer would not fiddle with it. Take it to a mechanic to fix, and he knows how to do it. The plug is meant to be drilled out, by a professional, to be able to adjust the mixture if needed, properly. Otherwise why would there be a threaded, adjustable screw there at all? If it was not meant to be drilled out at some point, when needed, it would be a fixed jet, as someone mentioned earlier. My advice? Read up before ya booger it up. If you ain't sure about something, take it to someone who is. IMO, down time is wasted riding time.

IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 08/04/11 at 06:23:11

If, all else fails... I have always found very few problems that can not be solved with the proper application of a high explosive.   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BIG OOOOOPS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.