Send Topic Print
BIG OOOOOPS (Read 724 times)
Grand Strand

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: BIG OOOOOPS
Reply #30 - 08/01/11 at 18:09:05

SGT,

I have inherited a similar situation from my PO, nice huh. One thing that I’ve tried is to drive an appropriate torx driver into the drill hole. Now, this hasn’t worked for me but it did seam to be a good idea. I didn’t have much time when I tried it, and I will attempt it one more time before I give up on this idea. I use this site a lot and am glad to contribute a little, and I am interested in reading more about what you find that works.

Bot, could the JB goop stand a chance if you lined the hole with a plastic drinking straw? I’ve never tried that trick on something that small but I have used a pipe to weld to a bigger broken bolt before. Just thinking out loud.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #31 - 08/01/11 at 18:14:01

Very much doubt it... unless the JB had some amount of ridge to bite into, and if you had the ridge, you could do better to snag it with a screwdriver of some kind...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #32 - 08/01/11 at 18:23:25

AZSGT wrote on 08/01/11 at 17:22:53:
That was my plan tripp but it seems as though in all of my fuddling with it, now it is not idling right, very slow, and backfires like CRAZY, so I am gonna have to get it out somehow or a new carb.

Anyone wanna sell a Carb?? lol

Use a high-quality screw extractor (Snap-on?) like one of these:

If the OOOOPS hole is not deep enough for the screw extractor, drill it deeper,.. the idle screw is already ruined.  

The screw is not welded or “lock-tited” into place.  

These screw extractor sets, even the high-quality versions, are not very expensive.  You need one of these sets for the rest of your life anyway.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #33 - 08/01/11 at 21:39:10

I think the screwdriver idea is worth a shot,you may have better luck getting some bite using a torqs (star shaped) screwdriver.if you can't find one that's a perfect fit grind it down to a taper until it fits in the hole (I'd guess you prob need a T15 or T20 size).if you have a harbor freight store nearby buy the screwdriver there so you don't feel so bad about grinding it down.most extractors will just spread the brass out tighter in the bore as you turn,and if it should break off inside then you're really in for some hair pulling as it's near impossible to drill through the extractor.  Shocked

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 08/01/11 at 22:14:44

I haven't had this problem, but the last stuck screw I removed with a tapered square extractor.

The advantage is... if you don't have enough bite, it'll round out the hole till you do.

And you'd best use a tap driving handle, one with 2 handles on either side.
It's very important to torque these things w/o bending.  cause they don't bend, they snap.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 08/02/11 at 04:52:51

ralfyguy wrote on 08/01/11 at 16:12:17:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/01/11 at 13:51:54:
In the future, before you go drilling, find out whats behind what youre drilling, & set a depth limiter on the drill bit. You can buy them or wrap masking tape onto a bit.

Also not to forget that brass is a material that differs from other metals in terms when the drill comes out the other side it tends to suddenly catch and rip through, damaging whatever is behind it. In a good machine shop we have drill bits modified just for brass. Even just drilling brass not all the way through it still tends to catch and rip further in if not being careful. We used to modify drill bits as to grind a 0 degree cutting angle to the leading edge, that eliminated all that "bite" and lets you drill brass nice and smooth.

I can shape a bit, Im just not following your description,, Can you be clear? You talking about the angle from center to edge of the bit? Or how much relief follows the cutting edge?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #36 - 08/02/11 at 05:36:48

A square nail tapped in there might work.On some of them 2 sides are difference than the other sides. More rectangular than square.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #37 - 08/02/11 at 05:46:55

The screw is useless now anyway, so drill it deeper with a small drill.

Here’s a pic of the screw extractor set I bought from Sears decades ago.  The small extractor on the right uses a 1/16” drill (shown far right) for the hole it needs to grab on to a misbehaving screw.  You may still have enough metal left to go a little deeper with a 1/16” drill.

You don’t need much torque,… all you need is enough purchase for the screw extractor to grab on to the thing.

Good luck.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 08/02/11 at 08:04:16

bill67 wrote on 08/02/11 at 05:36:48:
A square nail tapped in there might work.On some of them 2 sides are difference than the other sides. More rectangular than square.

Maybe even put some super glue on it first then tap it in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #39 - 08/02/11 at 08:59:58

I have a question (read that as female asking a dumb mecahnical question lol) and I'm not even sure how to phrase it.  But if you've drilled through the screw, have you wallowed around and boogered any part of the threads too?  Or is the screw still protecting the threads?  I guess I'm wondering even if you get the screw out, is the hole too far gone for a replacement screw.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Johansson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 08/02/11 at 09:23:57

That screw will come out.
Several ways.
Use the smallest drill bit you have. Some thing on the order of a 1/32 or smaller if you have one.
Drill in the center of the screw. About 3/16's of an inch deep.
Take a scratch awl, slightly grind a flat on one side.
You may have to blunt the end of the scratch awl if you cannot get a tight fit.
Don't use a hammer, just press gently as you insert the scratch awl into the hole.
Use a slight side pressure on the scratch awl and gently back the screw out.
Your previous drilling may have snugged that screw down pretty tight.
It would be best to put the carb in a vise and use a drill press to drill the hole.
The key to this is to get a tight fit on the scratch awl.

Method number 2
Method 1 did not work after about 10 minutes of trying.
Insert and gently press an allen wrench into that hole, again, be careful.
Just use hand pressure, more than this and you could expand the brass screw.
Grind the allen wrench until gentle pressure and slight wiggling will get it into that hole.
Grasp the allen wrench with a small vise grips and tap the vise grips with a wood dowel while applying a little force in the counter clockwise direction.
Tap sharply on the vise grips, this will loosen the screw.

Any machine shop can get that screw out for you.

A vise will be your best friend, all of this should be done with the carb in a vise.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #41 - 08/02/11 at 09:36:44

babyhog wrote on 08/02/11 at 08:59:58:
..But if you've drilled through the screw, have you wallowed around and boogered any part of the threads too?  Or is the screw still protecting the threads? .

AZSGT's photo isn't clear enough to really tell, therefore we're free to offer up armchair, manly solutions!  Cheesy

Here's what I'd do:

1) Order a new fuel screw.  If the old one is still airtight enough for the bike to run well, a new one can be made to work, albeit maybe with a little pipe thread compound or some of that silver anti-seize grease.

2) Take the carb out of the bike so you can get some good light on it, and any further tapping/drilling/picking can be done much more accurately.

3) Use a dental pick or fine needlenose pliers to dig out the remainder of the brass plug.

4) With the screw pointed down, blast out the hole with PBlaster or Seafoam DeepCreep so that any filings are washed out.  Pick out any stubborn filings with a toothpick.

5) Turn the screw/hole up vertical and fill it with the same pen.oil and let it sit for a day or so.

6) Get a small easy-out and tap it in with nothing heavier than a screwdriver handle.  Since it's brass you're tapping into (and little torque will be applied) you don't need an expensive easy-out.  Just get a cheap one from Autozone.

7) Unscrew the old boogered screw, install your new fuel screw, tune and go ride.

If any further drilling is needed to make the easy-out bite, get a left-handed drill bit and use a drill press to make sure the hole is dead center.  Even if your drilling is perfectly centered, you don't want the drill bit to bite and cram the screw all the way down.  That will mess up the seat that the screw/needle beds into.  So any drilling of the screw should be done counterclockwise.

Good luck.. this isn't as gripping as Serowbot's sink repair, but we still want to know what happens.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 08/02/11 at 09:53:03

Johansson wrote on 08/02/11 at 09:23:57:
That screw will come out.
Several ways.
Use the smallest drill bit you have. Some thing on the order of a 1/32 or smaller if you have one.
Drill in the center of the screw. About 3/16's of an inch deep.
Take a scratch awl, slightly grind a flat on one side.
You may have to blunt the end of the scratch awl if you cannot get a tight fit.
Don't use a hammer, just press gently as you insert the scratch awl into the hole.
Use a slight side pressure on the scratch awl and gently back the screw out.
Your previous drilling may have snugged that screw down pretty tight.
It would be best to put the carb in a vise and use a drill press to drill the hole.
The key to this is to get a tight fit on the scratch awl.

Method number 2
Method 1 did not work after about 10 minutes of trying.
Insert and gently press an allen wrench into that hole, again, be careful.
Just use hand pressure, more than this and you could expand the brass screw.
Grind the allen wrench until gentle pressure and slight wiggling will get it into that hole.
Grasp the allen wrench with a small vise grips and tap the vise grips with a wood dowel while applying a little force in the counter clockwise direction.
Tap sharply on the vise grips, this will loosen the screw.

Any machine shop can get that screw out for you.

A vise will be your best friend, all of this should be done with the carb in a vise.

...or you could use a screw extractor,.... a tool designed specifically for this job.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #43 - 08/02/11 at 09:55:45

as Boule'tard said,"If any further drilling is needed to make the easy-out bite, get a left-handed drill bit ..."

Excellent idea.

Now,... where did I put those??,....

IP Logged
Johansson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 08/02/11 at 09:56:27

Quote:
If any further drilling is needed to make the easy-out bite, get a left-handed drill bit and use a drill press to make sure the hole is dead center.  Even if your drilling is perfectly centered, you don't want the drill bit to bite and cram the screw all the way down.  That will mess up the seat that the screw/needle beds into.  So any drilling of the screw should be done counterclockwise.

Perfect explanation Boule'tard

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BIG OOOOOPS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.