Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Permanent jumper leads - how to safely use (Read 245 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Permanent jumper leads - how to safely use
08/01/11 at 18:32:01

Edited:
Yet another way to skin that cat:

I made my bike (see my signature block) easy to jump.

I found a used battery ground cable laying around (from my old '81 GL1100).  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

The cable I've added dead-ends under the black rubber hose section I've used for a cover over the "hot" end of the cable.  There is no connection to the starter (even though it looks like it DOES connect to the starter somehow in the photo).

All I need to do to jump this beauty is to pull the section of rubber hose off the end of my added cable,  connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's positive terminal and my added cable, and connect a jumper cable between the donor battery's negative terminal and any handy ground on my bike.  I carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables in the bike's trunk.

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage).

« Last Edit: 07/14/12 at 14:58:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Re: jump leads - How to use
Reply #1 - 08/02/11 at 10:51:53

DangMan wrote on 08/01/11 at 09:39:19:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/11 at 07:55:38:
Any bolt on the frame or engine is connected to the negative post.

I know Smiley But if you dont take care this can leave a burn !

To avoid any burn from sparking, just connect your ground to the motorcycle engine first. No spark then.

I always connect my bike first (in case there is any fuel anywhere). Negative first to bike. For the positive, I have a heavy gauge wire soldered to a roach (I mean alligator) clip  Wink
Clamp the clip to the positive on the battery. Next connect ground to car battery ground or anywhere on the car engine. The the positive to car battery positive. A little spark on the car side is not an issue.
Oh...and remember to have the car OFF. The charging system on a car can possibly do damage to the bike (so I'm told).

With the alligator clip method, no need to unbolt or remove anything.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #2 - 08/02/11 at 13:55:41

Mattdw wrote on 08/02/11 at 10:51:53:
DangMan wrote on 08/01/11 at 09:39:19:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/11 at 07:55:38:
Any bolt on the frame or engine is connected to the negative post.

I know Smiley But if you dont take care this can leave a burn !

To avoid any burn from sparking, just connect your ground to the motorcycle engine first. No spark then.

I always connect my bike first (in case there is any fuel anywhere). Negative first to bike. For the positive, I have a heavy gauge wire soldered to a roach (I mean alligator) clip  Wink
Clamp the clip to the positive on the battery. Next connect ground to car battery ground or anywhere on the car engine. The the positive to car battery positive. A little spark on the car side is not an issue.
Oh...and remember to have the car OFF. The charging system on a car can possibly do damage to the bike (so I'm told).

With the alligator clip method, no need to unbolt or remove anything.

Well, you'll have a spark on the + that way. I usually connect the donor battery last so they get the sparks...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/02/11 at 14:49:55

Last connection should be away from the battery
and away from the battery that's charging (hydrogen fumes, ask JOG)

So, if battery to battery, then last connection should be ground on the donnor.

If by charger, then the plug in the wall.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 21:32:38

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Permanent jumper leads - how to safely use

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.