Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Right Hand Switch Assembly (Read 160 times)
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Right Hand Switch Assembly
07/31/11 at 19:55:45

I'm currently trying to fix my front brake sensor. I'm using a Clymer Manual. I've been successful in taking it apart, and everything seems to be in working order. My new hurdle is putting it back together. The reason my break light wasn't responding was the contact plates weren't connecting when the front break was squeezed. Looking right into the right hand assembly there are two separated spots where one of the contact plates can fit. I've tried both spots and there isn't anything happening to make contact. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Has anyone had this issue before?

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Right Hand Switch Assembly
Reply #1 - 08/01/11 at 03:05:26

OK Halfpint, we are going to need some more info.  What year is your bike and so forth.  I  had trouble with my 87 when I first got it, there was a piece of the brake switch in the handle bar missing.  This link kind of tells the story;

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1269374031/7#7

There are two different switches for different year models. Huh

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Reply #2 - 08/01/11 at 06:38:45

Sorry, I thought everyone could see signatures. I have an 87' as well. Looking at that link and at the Bike Bandit page I have Part 8, and the brake light does turn on when in contact outside of the assembly.

My boyfriend took it apart, and now I'm trying to reassemble it, but I haven't been able to find any diagrams showing the inside of that break lever. In the link you gave at the end I see someone mentioned a spring. That was the only part that didn't come out. Was that supposed to? I've tried just putting the eraser piece back in there and putting everything back in order, but that doesn't help the plates contact. Does the spring have anything to do with pushing that eraser down? For some reason I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 08/01/11 at 07:11:41

Sorry, I didn't see your signature, I looked for it, but didn't see it.  Honest.

I remember a spring, I really do.  But I cannot remember where the spring went.  You are right, Clymers was no help.  I checked the service manuel as well, it said nothing.

I did have alot of trouble with the little wires that fastened to the plate, between 8-9, they were broken and about as big around as a hair.  A little solder was too much.  

Try putting the little eraser thing in and before you put the cover on pull the handle, it should slide over to make the contact.  It does not have to move a lot, but it will move.  And the metal ends go down, to make contact on part 9.  Of course, I have never put anything in backward or upside down myself. Roll Eyes

I'm trying to help!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/01/11 at 19:44:30

I believe the spring is a sub-part of part #8.  I had mine apart a few weeks back cleaning the contacts trying to get it to work.  Part #8 does break down into three parts, the black plastic piece, spring, and copper contact.  The spring goes inside the black plasic piece and puts pressure on the copper contact so it makes connection with the wired contacts.  At least thats how mine came apart. Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
ThumperKat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #5 - 08/07/11 at 16:16:13

i have the same issue...at this time, i don't have a front brake light (in TX you only need the rear), i bought the micro switch, but realized after that it is the housing up inside the master cylinder is the problem..it's simply worn out...won't hold the micro switch in place...not worth the cost of a master cylinder ass'y to fix it.

'86 Savage: Rusty Ruby aka Beater Baby
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 08/07/11 at 18:25:27

I got fed up with this problem, had it many times on 3 different brands of bikes.. and it always came back after I got the switch apart (sometimes without busting it!) and cleaned the contacts.  But I never knew when it would fail again... dangerous and annoying when I'd check it and it had been out for some unknown number of rides.

Solution: a sealed, in the brake system pressure switch.

Source: http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#d45-71-xxx

Sure, it's a PITA to install.. you have to crack open your brake line, then bleed the air out.. but with any luck, the fix is permanent.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
HalfPint

Cumming, GA
Reply #7 - 08/17/11 at 17:41:02

I'm sorry its been so long to reply. lol School's back in.. -_-
Thanks for the help!

Anyway, I ended up losing my eraser and buying a new one was was all I needed! Smiley My old one didn't have a spring and wouldn't compress. Once my new one came in the inner spring that rests horizontally disappeared.. lol I cheap fashioned a pen spring and it's good as new! =) I hope the issue doesn't pop up again and I end up having to go to the extremes like Boule'tard.

1987 Pearl Savage ^_-
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 22:19:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Right Hand Switch Assembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.