Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does gas go through enrichment valve? (Read 83 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Does gas go through enrichment valve?
07/31/11 at 00:20:21

I was wondering if gas goes through enrichment valve.  I tried to open the side cover... But it is stuck real good.  Tried using impact driver... Almost mangled the soft screws.  If gas goes through, I am hoping to use sea form to clean without opening it.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Does gas go through enrichment valve?
Reply #1 - 07/31/11 at 08:35:19

No, I don't think so.

At least not the side that gets sticky.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Does gas go through enrichment valve?
Reply #2 - 07/31/11 at 12:26:58

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 07/31/11 at 00:20:21:
I was wondering if gas goes through enrichment valve.  I tried to open the side cover... But it is stuck real good.  Tried using impact driver... Almost mangled the soft screws.  If gas goes through, I am hoping to use sea form to clean without opening it.

We had exactly the same problem with those carb enrichment valve cover screws. Look at reply #62 in Double RYCA build.  You can carefully use a flat punch and a hammer to gently knock those screws back and forth.  As soon as you seen any sideways movement (maybe 1/64") the screw will be "loosenable."  I think tapping it like that and getting the screw to bend back and forth breaks the grip of the concrete locktite-ish stuff the factory uses.

If you have already started to mangle the slots in the screwheads, you can use the flat punch to gently tap/mash the metal back into place.  It won't be a whole lot stronger, but it won't look so mangled.

If you don't have a flat-faced punch, a large nail with the point ground or filed flat will do nicely.

I agree with Verslagan1,... gas is not supposed to get in there.  It has a diaphragm that is vented to different parts of the carb.  The diaphragm has what looks like a sort of spool valve attached to it.  That valve, when moved, richens up the mixture during high rpm closed throttle situations.

You'll be a happier man if you can clean that area out thoroughly (but gently),... and you can't do that without taking off the cover.  

« Last Edit: 07/31/11 at 13:43:52 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:32:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does gas go through enrichment valve?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.