Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buying Brand New 16 year old Savage. (Read 94 times)
Wingnut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buying Brand New 16 year old Savage.
07/30/11 at 23:17:25

Sounds weird and in this day and age if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Lets start from the beginning, im 36 years old, ive never ridden a motorcycle before, but ive all of a sudden got this urge to ride and customize a bike. i looked around at every and all bikes, the savage is the one i fell in love with. i dont have the kind of money to buy a new one, so i saved up some money was doing pretty good toward my goal, i was watching craigslist for deals, it looked like s40's with about 7000 miles on them were going for about $2500, like i said i was almost there and life happened, so i cut into my savings, and then out of the blue one of the ads i had responded to and wrote off wrote back he had a 1996 Savage with 200 miles on it, he said he had bought it for his wife 15 years ago and she just quit riding and it has sat in the garage ever since. Im heading over in the morning to look at it and if its everything he says it is im going to get it. my question would be what do i have to do to a bike that has sat for so long, What i think i know, is flush the gas tank, clean the carburator or maybe rebuild it, new battery maybe even new tires and after that i dont know? any advise would be much appreciated. i have been vicariously ready posts on this site for a few months now without even owning one, i now have a great oppertunity or if there is something im missing a money pit. please help.

IP Logged
Birdmove
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hawaii usa
Re: Buying Brand New 16 year old Savage.
Reply #1 - 07/30/11 at 23:26:20

Take a real good look inside the tank. You are checking for rust. Does it run? Unless it was really prepared correctly for storage there is a good chance the carb jets will be gumed up badly. Change oil and filter.

Hope it turns out well for you.

jon

jon neet
JJNeet1   IP Logged
Wingnut
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 23:36:51

I don't believe it runs, so even if I have replace the carb altogether could the rust have traveled into the motor or probably stopped at the gummed up carb jets? If there is rust in the tank should I not get it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/30/11 at 23:45:28

Id take it,, gonna need work, but,, its cheap,, As long as the tank isnt rusted too bad, itll clean up,, the carb will only need a cleaning, No need for a new one, Change the oil before you even TRY to start it. Dont sweat the oil filter, Just use plain oil,, nothing fancy, its not broke in yet.
It Has been kept in a garage, right?

Ohh, yea,, needs tires,, & tubes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying Brand New 16 year old Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.