Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaned the carb...but still a problem (Read 122 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Cleaned the carb...but still a problem
07/30/11 at 19:24:13

'07 S40 ... 980 miles...
Ok...cleaned the carb good as new...put it all back together...turned the petcock to PRI...gas pouring out of the tubes.
So, I'm assuming the float valve may be sticking, but I'm doubting that the float is actually bad because of the newness of the bike. I'm going to take it back apart or maybe tap on the side to see tomorrow (I already took it back off the bike)

Is the float sticking a common issue? I had a '96 and I have another '02 and never had this problem once.

« Last Edit: 07/30/11 at 21:21:08 by Mattdw »  
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Cleaned the carb...now TWO problems...what giv
Reply #1 - 07/30/11 at 19:46:10

You only need PRI to fill the float bowl, which takes only a second or two. Then switch to ON, at which point gas will only flow when the bike is running, creating vacuum to open the diaphragm in the petcock.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Re: Cleaned the carb...now TWO problems...what giv
Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 21:15:26

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/30/11 at 19:46:10:
You only need PRI to fill the float bowl, which takes only a second or two. Then switch to ON, at which point gas will only flow when the bike is running, creating vacuum to open the diaphragm in the petcock.

Yep, I agree. However, in the PRI position, the float should cut off the fuel flow when the bowl is full... I have another '02 savage with a failing petcock so I often have to leave it in PRI and it does not overflow...

My float must be sticking up (or down)...maybe I just need to make sure after I put the carb back together that I keep it all nice and level before I put it back on the bike? I know when I carried it out to the bike I had it every which way admiring my cleaning work... Undecided

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Cleaned the carb...but still a problem
Reply #3 - 07/31/11 at 06:17:32

You should have just dropped the bowl, then turn to prime and gently move the float up,...which should stop gas flow.
Don't tighten the bowl screws very tite when you put it back on,....and untill you're sure you found the problem.
Float sticking is never a problem, unless assembled/adjusted wrong, or dirt in the fuel.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/31/11 at 09:15:17

Mattdw wrote on 07/30/11 at 19:24:13:
Is the float sticking a common issue? I had a '96 and I have another '02 and never had this problem once.

It's not an uncommon issue to take apart the carb, clean it, and still not have it function correctly.  My 1st time, it took 3 times.

Did you take the float seat out?  it has a little screen that collect dirt.  possibly a hair or 2.  that would prevent the float valve from shutting off.

WWW   IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #5 - 07/31/11 at 14:48:04

It doesn't take much at all to cause a leak at the needle and seat,I worked on a friends old 70s dodge that had a carb that would flood gas like crazy making the engine impossible to start.when I tore it down I found what was literally a speck of dirt on the needle.cleaned and reassembled and the car ran like a champ,no more flooding causing hard starts too.one tip I can offer is that when you get the bowl off,if all looks good as far as assembly goes,you can test the seal by attaching a hose to the fuel inlet on the carb and blowing through it while lifting the floats.if its working right you shouldn't be able to blow through it while holding the floats up,if you hear it leaking then you'll have to tear it down and see what's going on.good luck. Cool

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #6 - 08/01/11 at 12:02:10

Got it all working. Tapped on the side of the bowl and looks like we're back in business.
I am so pleased ad the lovely purr of the engine with a nice clean carb!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:22:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cleaned the carb...but still a problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.